• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sunday Oldies (Pre -1990)

Well, it has to be Grandad's Garrard PW, today. This one is a piece of history. Grandad completed 25 years service as head gardener and master carpenter at the Haines Hill estate in Hurst, Berkshire. He was presented with a tray  of watches to choose from and picked this one. Whether it was the name that influenced him to choose it (similarity of surnames...Garrard/Garraway), we'll never know, but what we do know, is that the watch was already over 100 years old when he picked it.The date letter on the 18ct solid gold case (an upper case Old English 'K') dates it to 1845. I remember Dad telling me that his father wasn't very impressed with being asked to choose 'an old watch' ....he wanted a new one! This wasn't a retirement watch, it was presented for 25 years service. Grandad died at work. He went for his lunch on his chair outside his gardener's shed, sitting in the sun and enjoying his surroundings. That's where they found him...he just went to sleep in the sunshine and never woke up again...he was 60 years old. What a perfect way to go...I hope I'm that lucky......

PW Garrard. (1845)

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

PW Garrard.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Anyone that has ever seen any of my WRUW posts will have seen that I have taken bad photography to a whole new level.

This is no exception...

1950's Colant Supermatic 30 Jewel Automatic. (Felsa Movement)

019bd99067c36a7f2baeae6f1d46b916.jpg

and here's a picture from someone with skill than me (not hard)

img_4930.jpg

Thanks to LoveAntiques.com for the pretty pic of another Supermatic. Apparently they sold it for £100 ish a few years back.

A bit of a 'marmaite' watch, I like it just because it is 'odd'

Have a great Sunday guys! 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, JoT said:

Lancashire Watch Co in happier pre-Covid times!

large.Lancashire_Train.jpg.7e4621c47f2eb3b81b8baa39f497daca.jpg

The East Lancs Railway started operations again yesterday, although only the DMU shuttle is running into our station.  Still nice to hear the wheels on the rails again across the field.

The watch dial looks in great condition.

• Like 2