• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Shanghai 114 vintage Chinese military watch

Just thought i'd share my grail find and ask for some advice here -

This old beauty was (im)patiently on my wish list for about two years before I finally found one!

I seem to remember reading something a while back about these originally supplied for issue/sale with bracelets. After trawling around again I cant find the article! 

Does anyone on the forum know anything about this? Is this an original bracelet to the watch maybe?

Cheers

Shanghai 1.jpg

Shanghai 4.jpg

Shanghai 5.jpg

Shanghai 2.jpg

• Like 3

So I found a pic of the original bracelets on another site

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 18.45.14.png

22 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Here's a pic of the re-issue

NewSHMarine12.JPG

I was on the lookout for this re-issue, in fact any Shanghai diver I could get hold of.. I got lucky.

Just need a WW2 weems and i'm content! 

36 minutes ago, Lug said:

Just need a WW2 weems and i'm content! 

I had one, long gone now. My uncle was in the Special Operations Executive in WW2 and that was his issued watch. He told me he smashed it while in action in Scicily, and requested a replacement on their next supply drop. He got 5. He didn't keep any of them.

14 hours ago, WRENCH said:

I had one, long gone now. My uncle was in the Special Operations Executive in WW2 and that was his issued watch. He told me he smashed it while in action in Scicily, and requested a replacement on their next supply drop. He got 5. He didn't keep any of them.

That is amazing! One can only imagine the trials these military watches have gone through with former owners

I wonder if your uncle knew the actor Christopher Lee! He was attached to SOE during WW2

28 minutes ago, Lug said:

I wonder if your uncle knew the actor Christopher Lee! He was attached to SOE during WW2

He left Britain after the war and made a new life in North America. I've often looked, but there is not much in the way of on line records regarding SOE personnel, and their activities during WW2.

12 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

He left Britain after the war and made a new life in North America. I've often looked, but there is not much in the way of on line records regarding SOE personnel, and their activities during WW2.

I think their service records will remain classified for all time. These servicemen saw and endured and kept it all in. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

My Dad was in 3 Commando during the war. At one time he was 'attached' to SOE. He was running agents across to Norway. For this period his service record is blank.

An amusing anecdote - His brother in law was a POW in japan so he borrowed his new motorbike. When he did the Norway trips he loaded it on to the fishing boat and used it for transport over there. On one trip whilst on the return he stopped off to sleep in a barn. He woke to the sound of the enemy approaching and had to make a quick exit - without the bike!

Of course it was never recovered and he was never forgiven by my uncle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1