• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I've had this for years, it may have came from my grandparents.   It doesn't run and is in a bit of a state, but I'm wondering if it would be worth getting repaired.                                                        I think by the hallmarks its silver,  made by Victor Levy  & Co.    Glasgow or Birmingham.   Its signed A.Jacobson     Glasgow & Locle.       I'm unsure of this last word.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. large.20200812_155441.jpg.f8bd6de407aadafc09722d1189e6d752.jpglarge.20200812_155517.jpg.2d7a34d34cf8e88871f275cdf37da4b2.jpglarge.20200812_155529.jpg.5d94ae64b9966f4442210f66eab9ff94.jpglarge.20200812_155539.jpg.1cc20481600ba01179868756fc5eec8e.jpg

Edited by Alpha550t

There was, until quite recently, a jeweller's shop in Glasgow named, A. Jacobson & Co. Ltd., at 114 Brunswick Street, and they may be a continuation of the A. Jacobson  engraved on your watch; more about them here below.  The term, "Locle" on your watch undoubtedly refers to the Swiss watchmaking centre of  "Le Locle", a municipality in Le Locle district in the canton of Neuchatel, indicating perhaps that A. Jacobson had a branch or watch supplier in that part of Switzerland; in terms of date, I would hope that the silver hallmarks can provide a reasonably accurate assessment but without having that advantage, I would date your watch to the tail-end of the 19th century. 

I can give you a potted history of A. Jacobson, the Glasgow jeweller, courtesy of a piece in the Glasgow Evening Times of 16 February 2009. An Abraham Jacobson founded the firm from a wheelbarrow in 1874. At the end of the 19th century the firm moved to a shop in Miller Street and in about 1989, opened in Brunswick Street. The family member running the company at the time of the closing down of the Brunswick Street shop in 2009  (in conjunction with his business partner Claire Green) was Harry Jacobson, great grandson of the founder Abraham Jacobson. Although the shop closed down for good, the company continued on as a trade-only business importing jewellery and supplying shops around the country. At the time of the article in the Glasgow Evening Times, Harry's father Arthur and uncle Sydney, both in their 80s, were still active in the company. 

It might be worth contacting Harry Jacobson in Glasgow to see if he can throw more light on your watch. The company is still trading, as A. Jacobson & Co, at Mitchel Street in Glasgow, and the latest contact address I have is, PO Box 137, Glasgow, G1 1DY. 

When it comes to whether or not you should go ahead and have the watch restored/repaired, I presume that will depend on just how badly it is damaged and just how attached you are to it emotionally. I would recommend that you first consult the "Watchmaking and Repairs" section of the Forum, perhaps taking some advice from the Forum's own repair guru, Simon.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your extremely informative reply.   I'll get in touch with Simon and see if he can give me a price.    

It doesn't have any sentimental value, I'm guessing about it possibly belonging to my grandparents. 

Thanks again.   Col.

• Thanks 1