• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

No pallet fork?!

Humbucker

Hi, I've recently received a nice looking ladies watch with mother of pearl rear cover and enamel on metal dial.  It's Swiss but no makers marks or anything.  Anyway, I disassembled it today, cleaned it, and I am in the process of reassembly.

My confusion is, there is no pallet fork! I first of all thought I'd dropped it and searched for a while before going back to the watch and examining it in greater detail...… it doesn't have a pallet fork. The escape wheel isn't flat either, the edges of the wheel are turned up. The teeth are very similar to the standard escape but that's where it ends.  I'm having problems with the hairspring at the moment so I can't tell you how it works yet, but it seems to mesh with the balance complete.

Its very strange. Its quite old because the main spring barrel lid has a small square hole, enabling you to remove it using a small screwdriver. I'll upload some photos when I can, but does anybody have any idea what it is please? I'll be very grateful for any advice. As I've mentioned previously, I'm new to horology so very wet behind the ears! I'm loving the experience though. Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers.

8 hours ago, Humbucker said:

Hi, I've recently received a nice looking ladies watch with mother of pearl rear cover and enamel on metal dial.  It's Swiss but no makers marks or anything.  Anyway, I disassembled it today, cleaned it, and I am in the process of reassembly.

My confusion is, there is no pallet fork! I first of all thought I'd dropped it and searched for a while before going back to the watch and examining it in greater detail...… it doesn't have a pallet fork. The escape wheel isn't flat either, the edges of the wheel are turned up. The teeth are very similar to the standard escape but that's where it ends.  I'm having problems with the hairspring at the moment so I can't tell you how it works yet, but it seems to mesh with the balance complete.

Its very strange. Its quite old because the main spring barrel lid has a small square hole, enabling you to remove it using a small screwdriver. I'll upload some photos when I can, but does anybody have any idea what it is please? I'll be very grateful for any advice. As I've mentioned previously, I'm new to horology so very wet behind the ears! I'm loving the experience though. Looking forward to hearing from you. Cheers.

It’s what’s known as a cylinder escapement and it connects to the balance directly via the vertical teeth on the escapement wheel. Eliminating the need for a pallet fork 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hi, thanks for your reply, it's good of you to take the time. Since posting the item, I've come across four different types of watches from chain driven ones to the pin pallet kind. It's really interesting and quite exciting. I'm still very new to watch servicing etc, and learning each day. I've just acquired a 6117-6410 Navigator which is going to be one of my favourites in my collection. I have to say that You Tube is invaluable if I need some information on methods and lubricants. I'll update this posting when I've finished cleaning and reassembling the watch. Thanks for reading this.