• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

What's your thoughts on my diving watch designs?

Hello, 

I would like to share with you renderings and 3D prints of a dive watch I have designed. The watch has 3 dial variations. To design these watches, I drew my inspiration from the military timepieces worn by combat divers in the 50’s such as the FF. 

What do you think?

Black dials 

KYZmFCP.png

White dials

ZmRG9NA.png

The case

Please ignore the case ''mini facets''. The software created them. The case will be smooth (no facets) with a brushed finish. 

Here I printed different versions of the case. 

The specs

• 316L stainless steel with a brushed finish
  • Case size: 40 mm at the base, 41 mm when including the ceramic bezel 
  • Lug to lug: 49 mm
  • Lug width: 22 mm
  • Drilled lugs 
  • Screw down crown 
  • Crystal: double domed sapphire glass with anti-reflective coating on the inside
  • Bezel: 120 clicks unidirectional lumed ceramic bezel
  • Movement: Seiko NH35A
  • Lume: Super-LumiNova C3
  • Water resistance: 200 m / 660 ft

I would be keen to read your feedback on my designs.

Cheers,

Brice 

P.S. I would like to thank @Roy for giving me the opportunity to share my designs here. 

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably top middle as I don't like silver fingers on a white dial, particularly if the watch is used underwater. That being said, I don't see anything innovative here, sorry.

Can't argue with the above posts, but as you said in your OP, you are basing the watch on an earlier generation of military watches, but if the price is right..... I think the middle design for m

Basically this. You pretty much nailed it, Honour. @Brice it’s pretty good but it’s generic. The trouble is that every Kickstarter Joe is producing either a generic dive watch or a Daniel Welling

Probably top middle as I don't like silver fingers on a white dial, particularly if the watch is used underwater.

That being said, I don't see anything innovative here, sorry.

• Like 1

Can't argue with the above posts, but as you said in your OP, you are basing the watch on an earlier generation of military watches, but if the price is right.....

I think the middle design for me, but I think you need to make a change to the minute and hour hands. They are very similar and with a quick glance, could be confusing. 

I like the bold use of yellow for the seconds hand for the black dial, but not the more tepid blue for the white dial. What's wrong with yellow or an equally bright colour? 

Look forward to seeing these progress. 

Edit. Forgot to add. I am not a fan of nato's, so I hope there a choice of band. I see in your video, you're toying with a bracelet. 

Another edit. I'm not sure the ratio between dial and bezel is quite right. The bezel looks very thick. 

Edited by Caller.
  • Like 1

Yes? And? ... There just doesn't seem to be anything here to grab the attention and say, "Buy Me, I'm special because...."

Sorry to be a bit of a downer but I feel a bit jaded these days by the never-ending stream of no doubt "worthy" dive watches in the same retro-style and mould. 

Strangely, when you mentioned that the mini-facets on the case were not to be included on the actual watches, I did wonder what the visual effect would be of including them, especially if the case was polished.:biggrin:

47 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

Yes? And? ... There just doesn't seem to be anything here to grab the attention and say, "Buy Me, I'm special because...."

Sorry to be a bit of a downer but I feel a bit jaded these days by the never-ending stream of no doubt "worthy" dive watches in the same retro-style and mould. 

Basically this. You pretty much nailed it, Honour.

@Brice it’s pretty good but it’s generic. The trouble is that every Kickstarter Joe is producing either a generic dive watch or a Daniel Wellington style dress watch.

How tall is that case? It does look fairly thick on the prototype wrist shot.

And as @Caller. says, too much of the diameter is taken up by the bezel.

• Like 1

I can imagine it to be a bit of a mind bender to settle on a particular model to kickstart into production.

But personally if I was making a divers watch I'd try and knock the rest out of the park!

There are a ton of these now with that fifty fathoms look, not all great, but some nice looking pieces are around. Yours will need to poke its head above them all and cry out to be bought. Not and easy thing to do! But If I was choosing it would be top middle - no white versions, personally speaking most of what I look at is black faced. I'd reduce the lug to lug size, it may sit on the average wrist a little better. I'd probably even go with a 39mm case. But thats what I go for.

Supplying with a NATO is a bit iffy, I feel like i'd want a bit more for my money - maybe a two piece blunted leather strap.

Dial wise, maybe the hands need tweaking, possibly in shape, they are tricky to read. It could look good with a yellow outer, on one or both, maybe even a splash of the yellow on the lume plots or numbers. Could even go with the numbers in a triangular marker? 

Realise we will all have a different take and you'll never please everyone.

Keep the faith and look forward to seeing what you come up with

• Like 1

Thanks for all your feedback. It is much appreciated. 

@Caller. yes, there will be other options than the NATO strap. I used this strap in the rendering to see how it would look like. For the bezel, I wanted to have a thick one, but I will see if the thickness can be reduced a little. I will also look at the hands. 

@AVO the thickness is 14.00 mm. That's the thinner I can go with the NH35A and with the current specs of the watch. 

@Lug in addition to the NATO, there will be a leather strap, and I am also working on a steel bracelet. 

Once again, thank you all for taking the time to share with me your opinion on my designs. 

Cheers,

Brice 

• Like 1

So, I keep coming back and looking at it...the middle top seems to be growing on  me...:hmmm9uh:

However, having been a NAUI & PADI Certified Advanced diver for 50 odd years... here's my take on it...  Sort the hands... the hour & minute hands are too close in size & shape. The second hand needs to be a little bolder, lose the dark red tip it's hard to notice.  The bezel indices & the 15, 30 & 45 need to be, bolder/brighter as they look washed out to me.  When I'm diving and I l@@k at my watch, I want it to be stand out, crystal clear & easy to read with no confusion.  Visibility is not always clear when diving so a good dive watch must be.  When I am monitoring my bottom time or timing any decompression stops on the way back up, this is no time for error.  This is not just personal preference it is for safety!  Know your times!

Once you sort these issues out, send me one & I'll see how it handles itself!  :yes:

• Haha 1

Top centre for me. I like the simplicity. Personally I'm not keen on the name Time Factor, but other than that, if it was on a rubber strap, I'd be very interested at the right price. 

2 hours ago, Brice said:

Thanks @RoddyJB for your comment on the bezel. I will see what can be done. Thanks @CB200 and @KAS118 for your feedback. 

I think it should be pointed out that although the design has a 'familiar' ring to it - that doesn't necessarily mean it will not be successful.

If you look at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/reisewatches/reise-resolute-ultra-tough-titanium-field-watch?fbclid=IwAR0dftiPu6gQR1Oulh_jX864ZVj9yLT1Hg408gzPUfhRZC5VTISMbQdY5M8 - I would say that there's nothing really 'stand-out' about this watch - but its done extremely well.

I think its also fair to say that sometimes producing something that is 'stand-out' can be (but not necessarily is) rather polarising as well. So, being in 'the middle' can sometimes get a bigger customer base. 

Anyway - good luck going forwards. :thumbsup:

Edited by KAS118

As others on here have said, it's been done to death before, first with this beauty:

Blancpain-Fifty-Fathoms-131.jpg

...and then a million other "homages", including Seiko's version:

Seiko-SNZH55J-4.jpg

Also available in blue:

bnib_seiko_automatic_sports_fifty_five_f

And a plain dial if you don't want the Seiko logo (probably my favourite):

maxresdefault.jpg

Good luck with your Kickstarter anyway - For what it's worth, I think your top row centre model in black is the best one.

Dear @KAS118, thanks for your feedback and good wishes. It is much appreciated. 

@Davey P thanks for your message and support. Indeed, when I designed my watches, I took inspiration from the FF as the direction I am taking with Time Locker is military inspired vintage timepieces. 

Cheers,

Brice 

I reworked the dial, bezel and hands. Please don’t pay attention to the color of the dial and the design of the indices. The changes will be applied to all designs for both the black and white dials. 

V1

This is the previous version as presented in my first post. 

V2

Dial: thicker numerals. 
Hands: updated hour and minute hands. They are also slightly longer than in V1 and V3. 
Bezel: thicker numerals and hashes. 

V3
Dial: same as V2
Hands: same design as V2, same length as V1
Bezel: same thickness for the numerals and hashes as V2 but rehaut (the inner bezel ring) was removed. 

4zUiZsD.png

Based on the feedback I have collected so far, V2 is the preferred version. 

I would be glad to read your opinions on these changes. 

Cheers,

Brice 

On 29/08/2020 at 08:58, Brice said:

I reworked the dial, bezel and hands. Please don’t pay attention to the color of the dial and the design of the indices. The changes will be applied to all designs for both the black and white dials. 

V1

This is the previous version as presented in my first post. 

V2

Dial: thicker numerals. 
Hands: updated hour and minute hands. They are also slightly longer than in V1 and V3. 
Bezel: thicker numerals and hashes. 

V3
Dial: same as V2
Hands: same design as V2, same length as V1
Bezel: same thickness for the numerals and hashes as V2 but rehaut (the inner bezel ring) was removed. 

4zUiZsD.png

Based on the feedback I have collected so far, V2 is the preferred version. 

I would be glad to read your opinions on these changes. 

Cheers,

Brice 

Yeah - I tend to agree on V2 - I think the longer hands are required - but I do see an advantage of the slightly bigger dial by losing the rehaut (although at the same time I guess it also adds a 'finishing touch' to it. 

To be honest it might be the case of having to see it in the flesh to make a final decision. 

1 hour ago, Brice said:

Thank you @KAS118

I tested as well the bezel with a shorter hash at minute 1 (V2). The idea is to balance it with the missing hash at minute 14. 

yq8TRcL.png

Hi Brice - yeah - that works :thumbsup:

Edited by KAS118
  • Like 1