• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I knew nothing, apart from the obvious, about clocks but have recently inherited a longcase. It didn't work after I moved it to my house, apart from a continuous striking of the bell. After scouring t'Internet, YouTube and observing very closely the chain, wheels, pins and levers I got the clock working but not striking. After a bit more play and fiddling it started to strike although I'm not sure how!

Can I ask what you guys use for a time datum? I sometimes listen to radio 4,so compare the hourly pips with the striking of my clock. It seems a bit variable which I hope, is the pips. What do you use?

Also, when my clock strikes which one should be the actual time, the first strike or last one? Thanks for your help.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I may be wrong, but I suspect your longcase clock is probably horologically the equivalent of measuring with a wooden ruler versus a micrometer. You may be looking for a degree of accuracy that is unachievable. As I type this my computer tells me it is 11:59:24, the bracket clock on the wall tells me its almost midday.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Forum... Like Roger here above, I use a radio controlled timepiece (in my case, an alarm clock) to set clocks and watches by. Lazy old me though because, when downstairs where there are no such timepieces, I tend to use the digital clock on the BBC News Channel to set my watch.:)

54 minutes ago, Always"watching" said:

I use a radio controlled timepiece (in my case, an alarm clock) to set clocks and watches by.

Same here,. I usually set my watches using the RC alarm clock on the bedside table, but if I’m downstairs I will use time.is on my iPad.

• Like 1

Thanks for that link Wrench. That clock agrees with the clock on my smartphone so ill use that.

I have a garage full of bikes, can be difficult to get rid of , most have Campagnolo kit but i don't think i have anything too special, although it is special to me.