• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Most regrettable watch purchase and why?

So I tend to go on a little about the issue with my wrist size, so no surprise my regrettable purchases were based on this. 

I really like CW and ordered 3 preowned I’ve the last 3/4 years, hoping that they would sit well all 43mm, all looked small, let’s leave why I needed 3 to work this out, I really liked them, so the C60 bronze, the C60 classic black mat diver with cream numbers and the black C60 modern diver.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just bought a job lot of five watches at auction - but it was the wrong lot!  I wanted the other job lot of five!  So I will see what my mystery watches will be - i bet it is a broken ingersoll r

This >    

Nope, none that I can think of.   Even those going back to the early days of my addiction, they still hold fondness & memories. Have now learnt to rely & trust my own judgement!

Posted Images

I don't regret buying my 'best' watch, but I do regret not having the opportunities which I used to get to wear it, and the amount of time it sits in the box.  I used to even have work activities and meetings that would require dressing up to some degree - professional and social - as well as a couple of dinners out with my folks, charity bashes, a wedding here or there; but there's a whole new Gestalt being formed from an unrecognizable kit of parts, at breakneck speed.  Watches don't appear to be one of the components.

On the flip side, I don't have to hide my tattoos so often.  Or at all.    :laughing2dw:

• Like 2

Nope, none that I can think of.

Even those going back to the early days of my addiction, they still hold fondness & memories.

Have now learnt to rely & trust my own judgement!

However, I do regret not acquiring certain timepieces (mainly old tat) had I acquired more knowledge earlier on, they would definitely would have been a lot easier on the pocket. 

C’est la vie.

:biggrin:

• Like 3

I would add that buying a watch you have not handled is fraught with danger - I had a great Squale diver chrono, and the crown should have had two clicks, but it felt like it had three, which was always rubbing my OCD notwithstanding the fact that it worked and set fine - I gave it my son and of course he just loves it, knowing no better.  I have never flipped a watch that I have tried on first.

None really, and I have taken a few punts on watches I never saw in the flesh and even from bad sources (I know to buy the seller but sometimes you have to buy from where its available)  hence I have had some very hasslesome purchases but they always came good. 

I dropped a few quid selling a couple but very minor really and others I made enough to cover myself. 

I can only recall one watch I really didn't get on with - a mechanical Chronograph bond seamaster... It was just too lumpy on the wrist at the time. 

One watch I regretted parting with (pre-bond seamaster) 

So it's all good... 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, JoT said:

This >

watch-club-rolex-sea-dweller-deepsea-44m

To most people `nice watch` would come to mind, theres obviously a reason for regret......decided you didnt like this particular Rolex model afterall, or something else?

56 minutes ago, Roger said:

A couple of Casio ProTreks over a few years...altimeter not user friendly.

Roger

I liked mine, but I only ever used my altimeter to asses my delta on a climb, I never calibrated it, except once for fun just after I bought it.  I have recalibrated the compass, but I followed a YouTube video!

A full sized Planet Ocean, just never got on with it, couldn’t get the bracelet just right so it never sat on my wrist properly. I thought about buying the leather strap for it but a big diver doesn’t look right on a strap. Only wore it a handful of times.

Fortunately it was back when they were reasonably priced so didn’t take to much of a hit when I sold it.

• Like 1

I've just bought a job lot of five watches at auction - but it was the wrong lot!  I wanted the other job lot of five!  So I will see what my mystery watches will be - i bet it is a broken ingersoll rather than a rare Zenith!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, scottswatches said:

I've just bought a job lot of five watches at auction - but it was the wrong lot!  I wanted the other job lot of five!  So I will see what my mystery watches will be - i bet it is a broken ingersoll rather than a rare Zenith!

Laughing with you, not at you ...  :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Omega Seamaster Quartz, A few years ago now. Shop sold me the one that had been ticking away in the window, even though they assured me they hadn't. Stopped inside of two months, took it back, and was told it had to go back to Omega for a new battery, and would take eight to ten weeks. Got a full refund after starting legal proceedings.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
6 hours ago, JoT said:

This >

watch-club-rolex-sea-dweller-deepsea-44m

Given I am someone who likes Rolex watches, own two and have owned several, it was a case of severe regret.

Reasons:

• Sits very high on the wrist and never felt comfortable
  • The bracelet had a significant taper towards the clasp and on the wrist always felt out of balance
  • I couldn't get on with the words engraved into the lock ring
  • The crystal

I moved it on after three weeks for what I bought it for, the biggest regret was selling Speedmasters 816, MkII, MkIII, MkIV to pay for it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Omega Speed master moon. I had so many of these, three moon versions and four automatic versions. Sold them all and realised I just think the style is outdated. 

Now I have a Speed master moratorium. 

IMG_20190720_082131.thumb.jpg.ffe979dc89fdafb536a085980029c5fe.jpg

• Like 1