• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

How many times do you look at your mobile phone a day?

My dear wife is a slave to her phone...I would say she looks at it constantly. I don't look at mine unless I get a notification, which means I often don't look at it for days on end. In fact, as I write this, I haven't picked my phone up since Monday when an email came through. I feel that some are tied to their mobiles...just look at families eating a meal in a pub....none of them talk to each other, they're all engrossed with their phones. I never even take mine out with me ...it stays on the arm of my chair in my 'man cave'. Do you you look at your mobile more than once a day?

15 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

My dear wife is a slave to her phone...I would say she looks at it constantly. I don't look at mine unless I get a notification, which means I often don't looķ at it for days on end. In fact, as I write this, I haven't picked my phone up since Monday when an email came through. I feel that some are tied to their mobiles...just look at families eating a meal in a pub....none of them talk to each other, they're all engrossed with their phones. I never even take mine out with me...it stays on the arm of my chair in my 'man cave'. Do you you look at your mobile more than once a day?

9 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

Only to check the time. 

• Like 1

Interesting question, I feel like I could live without a mobile phone some days, and other days I’m glued to it. I went for the first 15/16 years of my life without one.

Back to the question, I typically have about 2 hours of screen time per day. Which would result in checking it probably about once or twice an hour. It just depends what the notifications are, and if they require an immediate response, or if I can delay them...

• Like 1

Generally I leave it out the way and look at it when I want to, not when it summons me. It's never off vibrate and I don't even know what the ringer sounds like. Same for the work phone, but that lives next to me when working.

It is a very frustrating thing for people when I don't look at their messages, like I say to them, either ring or come and ring the doorbell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Typically, mine sits in a bag or on the table all day. Ringtones have to be off when I’m teaching (not very much these days!).

On all my devices I have disabled audible notifications with the exception of text messages and voice calls. I will know I have email when I open the email app!

I am still working so many times a day as all my emails are picked up by the phone also use Whatsapp to keep in touch with rolexgirl, I don't browse the forum on the phone but do catch up with the news via Twitter maybe three or four times a day, catch up with the family via Facebook a couple of times a day and have a daily look at watches on Instagram

10 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I never even take mine out with me ...it stays on the arm of my chair in my 'man cave'.

Why do you have one then? I do always have mine with me and keep a debit card in the case - this has been useful when I have gone shopping and forgotten to take my wallet (the joy of getting old):whistle:. Only one of my sons has a landline although they all have internet so have a phone line and they use text messages quite a bit - this made a mobile for me a requirement. With the camera, music and google maps in addition to calls and texts I use the phone quite often every day and with a signal booster via my internet router it is the landline that hardly gets used although BT have now changed their call packages to include calls to UK mobiles so will try that as well.

4 minutes ago, richy176 said:

Why do you have one then? I do always have mine with me and keep a debit card in the case - this has been useful when I have gone shopping and forgotten to take my wallet (the joy of getting old):whistle:. Only one of my sons has a landline although they all have internet so have a phone line and they use text messages quite a bit - this made a mobile for me a requirement. With the camera, music and google maps in addition to calls and texts I use the phone quite often every day and with a signal booster via my internet router it is the landline that hardly gets used although BT have now changed their call packages to include calls to UK mobiles so will try that as well.

The only reason I have one is because we no longer have a landline. That was cancelled a year or so ago as a cost cutting exercise. I would be wary of keeping a card in the case...my phone's case has a warning sticker inside it showing that the magnetic field could corrupt the info on the strip...

Roger's Miscellaneous Album.

I'm not a heavy phone user, but I do take my mobile everywhere, using it more for WhatsApp  and text messages than phone calls.  In fact, I use it more as a camera than a phone :laugh:  I don't use mine for internet access or emails (I've got a laptop for that).  I do use the calendar to set reminders, and the clock as an alarm clock, which is quite useful when I'm working away.  I also use Waze occasionally, which is brilliant, and probably better than my dedicated Garmin Sat Nav.

Whether you love 'em or hate 'em, it's hard to deny how impressive the mobile phone technology is these days :thumbsup:

• Like 1

As far as usage goes, I'm very similar to @Davey P...WhatsApp and SMS are my main usage. I never use it to access t'internet, preferring my PC or tablet which have bigger keyboards for my sausage like fingers. When I do type on the phone for, say, WhatsApp, I have to use a stylus to avoid hitting 3 keys at once. :laughing2dw:

Because I use it so little, I can get away with using a cheap service provider, 1p Mobile which only requires a £10 top up every three months...and any remaining credit rolls over.

I have mine with me all the time, however I have set up different ringtones so I know which to ignore, I'll check texts to see if it's work, the rest of the time it's in my pocket or bag, totally ignored and they are banned from the dinner table in our household.

It's funny when one of the daughters are over and they are at the table when their phone pings/rings/whatever, they get all edgy like a junky waiting on a fix!

They hate how I can totally ignore mine.

• Haha 2

I have no house phone (can't remember the last time I did) or desktop (packed up ages ago) so these days its my only access to the Internet then the odd call and message so yes I do use it a lot at the moment. I got a tablet a couple of weeks ago but I have just got used to using my phone. 

That being said I rarely take it with me when I'm out and about. 

Big M's is welded to her hand 24/7

1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

I have no house phone (can't remember the last time I did) or desktop (packed up ages ago) so these days its my only access to the Internet then the odd call and message so yes I do use it a lot at the moment. I got a tablet a couple of weeks ago but I have just got used to using my phone. 

That being said I rarely take it with me when I'm out and about. 

Big M's is welded to her hand 24/7

I got a special tablet for the wife, but she won't take it!

• Haha 1

Not an awfull lot, i can sometimes make a full charge last 3-4 days cos im a light user, not being on facebook or twitter helps, i would still miss it if i lost it though, i use the camera on holiday a lot but very rarely at home.

On 03/09/2020 at 12:40, bridgeman said:

Only carry it when on motorbike ,still have that emergency only mind set

That did make me smile – made me think immediately of my late mother, bless her. She used to get cross if I called her on my mobile because she thought it cost the Earth (she was always on PAYG) and I couldn’t explain to her that I had so many hundred minutes per month.

A few years before she died I managed to get her to accept one of those big button, big screen, call and text only affairs with a PAYG Sim card. I insisted she took it out with her but she would never switch the damn thing on! Several times I had to reactivate her number because Vodafone would deactivate it if she went three months without using it. Occasionally when I spoke to her on the phone I would say “Have you used your mobile recently?“

” Hang up, I’ll call you on it!”

Two minutes later: “Hello it’s me – I’m on the mobile. Now hang up and I’ll call you back on the landline.”

Edited by AVO
  • Haha 4