• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Telda 1950's ish chronograph wont reset to zero?

Hello, 

I have a Telda chronograph (similiar to link) left to me from my father, think it may have been my grand fathers. I have found limited pics on the net when looking before and believe Telda to be a small swiss company that doesnt exist any more like many. I was left a few watches in terrible condition which I have restored but this Telda appears the only one that was looked after so I have never touched it. 

I occasionally wind it up and let the chronograph and time run for a couple of days till it stops. My theory being it will keep the chronograph complication working as well as the normal time function. 

My question: When I reset the chronograph yesterday the main second recording hand (not the time function small seconds hand) return to about a 1 second to 12 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position. Im sure this hasnt been like that before or I would have noticed and think this is the first time it has happened. I know how to zero the adjustment on a Quartz movement but not a mechanical hand wind? Is it a case of opening the watch and physically reentering the hand?

Many thanks. 

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=u272918678#enlargeimg

Firstly chronographs aren't designed to be run for days, 10 minutes every week should be enough. Possible that the chronograph second hand has slipped on the pinion or possibly the main hands have obstructed it and knocked it out of alignment, could also be that the reset mechanism is a bit sticky. I suspect the watch hasn't been serviced for a while, it's probably what it needs

• Like 2
4 hours ago, JoT said:

Firstly chronographs aren't designed to be run for days, 10 minutes every week should be enough. Possible that the chronograph second hand has slipped on the pinion or possibly the main hands have obstructed it and knocked it out of alignment, could also be that the reset mechanism is a bit sticky. I suspect the watch hasn't been serviced for a while, it's probably what it needs

JoT yes your definitely correct on the service front. I think it could quite easily have never been serviced. I note your points on pinion slipping etc though thanks. 

This is probably on another thread im sure but where do I start regarding servicing? I dont want to just look through the yellow pages and guess so to speak. Ive emailed some of the watchmakers who show watch services on you tube channels etc but no reply. Any recommendations?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, Dilly said:

JoT yes your definitely correct on the service front. I think it could quite easily have never been serviced. I note your points on pinion slipping etc though thanks. 

This is probably on another thread im sure but where do I start regarding servicing? I dont want to just look through the yellow pages and guess so to speak. Ive emailed some of the watchmakers who show watch services on you tube channels etc but no reply. Any recommendations?

Thanks

If you are in the UK I can recommend Richard Askham for service of vintage chronographs. He did my 1960's Jaquet Droz Landeron for me, see HERE....

8 minutes ago, John_D said:

If you are in the UK I can recommend Richard Askham for service of vintage chronographs. He did my 1960's Jaquet Droz Landeron for me, see HERE....

John D, not sure of etiquette on here im relatively new but would it be rude of me to ask how much you were charged?

If you are willing to share can you advise what you paid for ie service only or was there repairs, new parts, case refinishing etc. 

Thanks

1 minute ago, Dilly said:

John D, not sure of etiquette on here im relatively new but would it be rude of me to ask how much you were charged?

If you are willing to share can you advise what you paid for ie service only or was there repairs, new parts, case refinishing etc. 

Thanks

If you read the entry in Richard's blog, that I linked to, it describes exactly what was done to the watch and see before and after pictures.....Bearing in mind that this was five years ago and I supplied the replacement part that was required, Richard charged me about £200. Prices are bound to have risen since then and Richard is currently quoting, to me, about £120 to do a full service on an AS1903 automatic, which I am considering taking him up on as the cannon pinion is slipping and on this movement it entails a full strip down to access it, something beyond my capabilities....Send Richard an email via the blog, giving as much detail as you can and he will probably quote you....