• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Anyone ever drop a watch at the dealer/boutique?

I went to look at a few watches at the VC boutique. I didn't drop it, but the watch fell as the salesperson was trying to adjust it on my wrist. My quick reflexes with my right hand caught it as it fell, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be my fault anyways. 

Anyone ever drop or had the sales person drop a watch? What happened? Would I have to buy it if I drop it on accident?

Surprised a VC boutique (?) allowed this potential incident to even occur, never happened to me.

Even when collecting some of my old tat.

AD’s, manufacturers I’ve visited have always fitted watches over a suitable table (pad or cloth conveniently placed), while seated.

:)

You would not have been held responsible as the salesperson was adjusting the watch. I expect it would always come down to a store policy, unless a tiled floor I would expect there to be any damage

12 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Surprised a VC boutique (?) allowed this potential incident to even occur, never happened to me.

Even when collecting some of my old tat.

AD’s, manufacturers I’ve visited have always fitted watches over a suitable table (pad or cloth conveniently placed), while seated.

:)

I was wearing it while looking at a large mirror away from the counter and was trying to adjust it myself and the salesperson came to help. My wrist isn't huge, just under 7in, but I'm a large guy at 6'3 210lbs so it's hard to tell how the watch size fits unless I look at it from a distance. 

Edited by Andrew0409

I haven't, but twice staff have. Tkmaxx, girl lifted a watch out of the cabinet with a ruler, and dropped it from around 5ft onto a hard floor, and another upmarket boutique (who shall remain nameless), the sales girl tripped and two of the Swatch Groups finest went sailing off the tray, and safely landed on their plush carpet.

I once dropped a vintage Omega on a changing room floor. Cost me a lot to get it fixed. I have been very careful ever since.

I almost floored a Piaget at Salon QP a few years ago. The guy let me try it on and I asked him the price. Nearly fainted.

• Like 1

I remember a colleague drop kicking a bunch of gold watches across the shop once (they were on some cushions that used to fly quite well) I seem to recall a few were returned with reliability issues.

Back to OP though, unless you deliberately jumped up and down on the thing I'd say the risk is all theirs.   VC boutique in Bond Street have their own watchmaker downstairs (she took the back off one of mine and I should have taken a picture...and if the movement) I am sure they could correct any damage for minimal cost.