• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Renovation project this winter.

I've enough trains to play with through work so I don't need any more... But there is always something.

A Beetle on the drive, an old turntable that needs some attention (to be sold) and likely another on the way, a few bits around the house as ever and the constant churn of me getting down the rabbit hole on something else!

• Like 2

I'm going to have a go at cleaning up a load of old family black and white photos that we scanned onto a hard drive years ago.

I've already downloaded GIMP and had a go at a couple, it's taking me hours to do one. I'll be plenty busy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, BobJ said:

I'm going to have a go at cleaning up a load of old family black and white photos that we scanned onto a hard drive years ago.

I've already downloaded GIMP and had a go at a couple, it's taking me hours to do one. I'll be plenty busy. 

I do love GIMP, though its not as good on the Mac as it was in Linux. Frustrating that I don't take as many photos to use it these days

• Like 2
2 hours ago, al_kaholik said:

I do love GIMP, though its not as good on the Mac as it was in Linux. Frustrating that I don't take as many photos to use it these days

Yes it's a great free program with plenty of instructional videos on Youtube. I'm mainly using the heal tool at present to wipe away scratches,

bend lines, and rips. Hell if I get more advanced I may have a go at colourising a few.:laugh:

Edited by BobJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a few projects in the pipeline...a router table and a router sled. Also a new, adjustable circle cutting jig, as the old one was very simple, relying on drilled holes to select the different radii, which have become worn and inaccurate over the years. I may also consider making a simple rail saw and saw table utilising my Makita 7" skill saw. 

• Like 3

Probably the worst photo to show this off, but I picked this up on Saturday - a four hour round trip and a very early start. It was actually really nice to be up super early as I've not really done it since lockdown. And the drive was very nice too.

It's a Decca Sound SRG899 stereogram. BSR deck (not really turning at the moment, but should be a simple fix), AM/MW/FM radio tuners with twin built in amps. In remarkably good condition, particularly on the control panel. Having a twin-flip lid is really nice, so just the controls can be accessed without the whole top having to be lifted.

All untested at the moment because of an old style plug on it and the rodents have been at the flex.

Plan is a sympathetic restoration, we'll see how it sounds, I may change out the speakers, and possibly the amp(s) if needed. But I will keep everything reversible as best I can

Decca SRG899

Edited by al_kaholik
  • Like 4
On 10/09/2020 at 21:22, BobJ said:

If you get stuck with any of these, I'd be happy to help out.  There are a few samples of my photo editing work on my website if you're interested:

https://davepatey-illustration.co.uk/

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have (foolishly:laugh:) taken on the task of researching and writing a horological article that requires me to do a considerable amount of translation work from French, and some German, into English. I have been forced to slow down my output of  articles generally, and I shall take this particular topic slowly. Hopefully, it will eventually appear here on the Forum ... By that time, I hope it will be ME that is renovated.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
7 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

I have a few projects in the pipeline...a router table and a router sled. Also a new, adjustable circle cutting jig, as the old one was very simple, relying on drilled holes to select the different radii, which have become worn and inaccurate over the years. I may also consider making a simple rail saw and saw table utilising my Makita 7" skill saw. 

Umm,  train sets for me.  I received some decals today that go all the way down to Z scale - I feel a custom dial coming on, I found a NOS sterile dial for an old 7734 chronograph that I may have the bits fer ...

• Like 1