• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

The paraffin ones are prohibitively expensive, but the gas ones that run off an aerosol can of butane are quite cost effective and do work. Remember, you don't need to completely incinerate the weed into oblivion, just a quick 2 to 3 second swipe over with the flame to break down the cell walls, and the plant will wither and dry up within a couple of days. Not tried the electric ones, but assume they're a bit like a hot air gun used for paint stripping. The big drawback with any burner device us that they only destroy the top growth. Deep rooted weeds like Dandelions will regrow.

I know you said you were against chemicals, but one of the most effective (any product containing glyphosate) is neutralised on contact with the soil and, being systemic as well as contact, is absorbed by the plant and translocated to all parts, including the roots. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

The paraffin ones are prohibitively expensive, but the gas ones that run off an aerosol can of butane are quite cost effective and do work. Remember, you don't need to completely incinerate the weed into oblivion, just a quick 2 to 3 second swipe over with the flame to break down the cell walls, and the plant will wither and dry up within a couple of days. Not tried the electric ones, but assume they're a bit like a hot air gun used for paint stripping. The big drawback with any burner device us that they only destroy the top growth. Deep rooted weeds like Dandelions will regrow.

I know you said you were against chemicals, but one of the most effective (any product containing glyphosate) is neutralised on contact with the soil and, being systemic as well as contact, is absorbed by the plant and translocated to all parts, including the roots. 

Thanks Roger. Think I'll look at a glyphosphate weed killer then, and maybe a gas burner.

On 06/09/2020 at 12:45, spinynorman said:

Thanks Roger. Think I'll look at a glyphosphate weed killer then, and maybe a gas burner.

Glyphosate is the most effective weed killer I ever used in a professional capacity. But be warned...spray on a calm day, especially near a lawn, because spray drift can be a problem if it's windy. Secondly, don't expect to see immediate results...the effects can take up to three weeks to show. But it does work. Re the breakdown...any solution that doesn't land on plants is broken down by soil microbes and rendered harmless. It can be sprayed around the stems/trunks of woody shrubs and trees with no detrimental effect on them.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Iceblue said:

My dad has a butain blower on a long alloy stem and walked along the path setting fire to the weeds in the cracks    

Sounds like fun.

1 hour ago, WRENCH said:

When I had a large garden, I used this;

s-l640.jpg

And a bottle of propane.

cylinder_propane_3.9kg_1.jpg

That looks terrifying. I'd be worried it would arouse my inner arsenist. :tongue:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Fitz666 said:

My better half got me one of the butane ones to "try and get me into gardening", I use it to light the coals for the BBQ.

That the second thing my dad does with it lol

• Like 1