• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Need to find information about this Omega Automatic Seamaster 'Big Seahorse'

Hello everyone, I posted this in the Dating watches thread first but there doesn't seem to be much activity. So I hope this is okay. Because I know absolutely nothing about watches.

So I inherited this Omega Automatic Seamaster Big Seahorse from my grandad when he passed away. At least I think it's the Big Seahorse but I'm not sure.

I would like to open it to find out the date myself but I'm afraid I'll damage it.

I post a link to Imgur with pictures and a short video on how it looks like.

I would like to find out as much as possible about it. For example if it's solid gold, the date, the exact name and so on.

Can someone help me with this? I understand if it's not possible without opening it, so if that's what it takes, maybe someone can guide me in the correct way for that. I really don't want to damage the watch in any way.

Here's the pictures and a short video clip: http://imgur.com/gallery/rS4gCxY

Take care everyone!

Sincerely,

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

If you are not confident in opening the case yourself, it might be better to go to a local jeweller and get them to open it (and close it again) for you.  That way you will have more info to pop on to this forum, or use Google.  There seem to be plenty of sites that have Omega serial number lists.

First question: there is no photo of the back plate. Is this gold or steel in colour? If it’s steel then the case itself is likely to be gold plated. If it is gold then the backplate will be hallmarked inside. Obviously again, you will need to have the back taken off.

Have a camera ready on macro setting and photograph the movement, especially the numbers and writing. The calibre number (e.g. 186, 605 or whatever) will tell you the actual movement used. There will also be a serial number which can be used via Omega’s database to trace the year of manufacture. Also photograph the hallmark and anything else stamped or scratched inside the backplate, as this will also give clues.

This might eventually help to identify exactly what model you have. Measuring the case diameter, excluding the crown, and the lug to lug length might also help. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here but they would need something to work with and the photographic evidence would help.

The Dauphine Hands would suggest early 60s to me, at the latest, though quite likely 1950s.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2020 at 08:18, AVO said:

First question: there is no photo of the back plate. Is this gold or steel in colour? If it’s steel then the case itself is likely to be gold plated. If it is gold then the backplate will be hallmarked inside. Obviously again, you will need to have the back taken off.

There is a video on the gallery that shows, briefly, the case back.  It's steel as far as I can tell.  It also says "Seamaster" and what looks like "waterproof".  No numbers visible.