• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

If you could meet anyone from history, who would it be ?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My great grandfather, he was a "contemptible" Royal Field Artillery gunner who fought at Le Cateau, First Battle of the Marne, Battle of Mons and the epic 250 mile fighting retreat from Mons followed

I’ve done that too. My great uncle Sam, grandmother’s brother.  I wept when I found his name, but hadn’t been prepared to be quite so moved, as he had been killed 41 years before I was born. Blood, as

I would like to meet my younger self and give younger me a right good slap and say "think on before you make that decision" about 3 times!!!

Posted Images

Difficult as there are so many.

Two that immediately spring to mind would be Giovanni de’ Dondi, creator of the Astrarium, & John Harrison, Longtitude prize winner.

Not forgetting Nevile Maskelyne, were an opportunity to give him a jolly good thrashing would have been a pleasure. :yes:

My great grandfather, he was a "contemptible" Royal Field Artillery gunner who fought at Le Cateau, First Battle of the Marne, Battle of Mons and the epic 250 mile fighting retreat from Mons followed by the counter attack at the Battle of the Aisne. The RFA had Quick-Firing 18 pounder (5 inch) guns in 1914 firing mainly shrapnel shells which were highly effective against troops in the open and did much to facilitate the retreat from Mons. At this stage of the war the guns were in the open and sadly great grandfather John was killed at the Aisne in September 1914 when his battery was hit by a 42cm howitzer shell, his war lasted about 6 weeks and he has no known grave. I know where he was killed within a 100 metres or so and intend to visit one day.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, JoT said:

My great grandfather, he was a "contemptible" Royal Field Artillery gunner who fought at Le Cateau, First Battle of the Marne, Battle of Mons and the epic 250 mile fighting retreat from Mons followed by the counter attack at the Battle of the Aisne. The RFA had Quick-Firing 18 pounder (5 inch) guns in 1914 firing mainly shrapnel shells which were highly effective against troops in the open and did much to facilitate the retreat from Mons. At this stage of the war the guns were in the open and sadly great grandfather John was killed at the Aisne in September 1914 when his battery was hit by a 42cm howitzer shell, his war lasted about 6 weeks and he has no known grave. I know where he was killed within a 100 metres or so and intend to visit one day.

Best of luck with that, I did a wee self guided tour of WW1 and WW2 battlefields in France and Belgium.

Tore me apart!

And I found one of my ancestors names at Thiepval.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Biker said:

And I found one of my ancestors names at Thiepval.

I’ve done that too. My great uncle Sam, grandmother’s brother.  I wept when I found his name, but hadn’t been prepared to be quite so moved, as he had been killed 41 years before I was born. Blood, as they say, is thicker than water.

• Like 3

Mine are from modern history

Firstly Bruce Lee.. he has been, and remains a massive guiding force in my life. Without him I wouldn't have started a life's journey in martial arts and met so many great people along the way

And secondly Pablo Picasso; i'd ask him if the drawing I have is authentic! :)

IMG_0005.jpg

46 minutes ago, Biker said:

I would like to meet my younger self and give younger me a right good slap and say "think on before you make that decision" about 3 times!!

I'd didn't get where I am today by not doing stupid things. :hmmm9uh:

_93948370_hi006404296-1.jpg

:laughing2dw:

• Haha 2
8 hours ago, Biker said:

I would like to meet my younger self and give younger me a right good slap and say "think on before you make that decision" about 3 times!!!

"Why didn't you retire earlier?"

The first year of retirement was awesome, and so has this year...even with the Covid nonsense. Looking forward to better times. If I can enjoy myself during a pandemic, which I have done, imagine what it'll be like when we return to normal!

And I'm still going to the Algarve in October, whether we're on the two week isolation on return or not...makes no difference to us...we're retired and don't venture out much anyway. And just as a matter of interest, who would police it anyway?

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

And just as a matter of interest, who would police it anyway?

As a responsible individual you would, unlike the entitled yoof of today!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
20 hours ago, Lug said:

Yes, I did a while back - I forgot about that! 

Yes, I searched for it and that's where it appeared. Have you not thought about getting it checked out officially? It's a nice piece, whatever.  

Thatcher the Snatcher just to find out if she showed any remorse or regrets for some of her actions.

I was close when she was alive but her security wouldn’t let us out the building to have a word with her.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

There were still a few of us left on site in one of the sheds in the background when she rolled into town for her famous walk in the wilderness 

50374345796_4eaca449fc_z.jpg

44 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Thatcher the Snatcher just to find out if she showed any remorse or regrets for some of her actions.

I was close when she was alive but her security wouldn’t let us out the building to have a word with her.

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

There were still a few of us left on site in one of the sheds in the background when she rolled into town for her famous walk in the wilderness 

50374345796_4eaca449fc_z.jpg

Horrible woman I'm afraid to say.   Ex.NCB.