• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I am trying to adjust my recently inherited 18th century longcase. I am making small adjustments to the pendulum length and the accuracy is improving but something I have noted a few times defies my comprehension. If the clock is running say 20 secs fast. I stop the pendulum for 20 secs let go, no problem. The next time the clock strikes it is 20 secs slow ie. It has lost 40 secs! How did that happen? Anyhow, over the next couple of hours the clock corrects itself and runs on time.

What is happening? I have seen this 2 or 3 times. How can it lose time and then correct itself.

Just a thought. When the clock mechanism is arriving at the strike point, could it be that it then encounters sufficient resistance to just slow it down for a few seconds until the strike has finished the chime? At that point, the clock would then resume its normal rate of being slightly fast.