• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Three or four £500 watches or one at £2k? Struggling to make the jump to so called 'luxury'.

Ive been into watches and clocks for about 20 years. I do some basic repairs, case refinishing, crystal replacement etc for friends and family and have built up a collection of just over 30 watches. 

If we forget about sentimental value the highlights of my collection are:

Seiko Alpinist -  CWC SBS Tritium - Glycine Combat Sub - Hamilton Khaki Mechanical - Yema Superman - RADO Hyperchrome. 

The RADO was the dearest watch I've ever purchased at £600 from Jomashop. 

Always fancied the Tudor Black Bay 36 but at £2k Im thinking can it be 4 times better than anything else I have with an ETA 2824 movement?

My step father was a clearance/sat diver who owned several Rolex submariners including a COMEX faced all of which he sold without any attachment to what he said where simply tools of the trade, he now wears a fit bit aged 75! I think I am haunted by his disregard for the so called 'luxury' status we place on these items. I am impeccable in my care for time pieces. My wife bought me a G-Shock for DIY which I couldn't bring myself to use so this has become a sea/beach watch for walking the dog and swimming with the kids. 

Im also concerned at £2k ill be too scared to even use the watch, imagine catching it on a car door etc :(

What have you thought after significantly raising your spend for a watch?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

About 25 years ago in my late 20s I bought my first "luxury" watch , A Breitling Colt. It cost about £1300 back then and was £1100 more than I had ever spent. I just put it on and wore if for 7 years.

One of my favourite watches is this VERY early (Aug 1972) Seiko 3803 quartz analogue that's new price, in 1972,  was the equivalent of around £3,500 in 2020.....I bought it a few years ago, before the

Looks perfect, I've never heard of O&W but make up some historical waffle about it and tell me how it will turn me into a war hero, astronaut or deep sea diver and ill give you £2k for it! 

14 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Thanks

I think just be carefull with it, first few weeks im forever checking for good timekeeping, scratches etc, when the fist light scratch/blemish appears its like lifting a weight off my shoulders.:)

Price dosnt really concern me, not becasue im loaded, im not, basically i`ve thought about it for along time and done thorough research on it!

Edited by sabailand
  • Like 2

I have a self imposed limit of 200-ish quid per watch, and most of my collection are significantly cheaper than that.  I don't see the attraction of watches that are really expensive, but good on anyone who can afford them. I'm happy with my collection, and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

The OP has answered his own question by saying "I'm also concerned at £2k I'll be too scared to even use the watch"

• Like 1

I understand your problem i have liked watches all my life but only started buying/collecting in the last two years.

I was not sure wether to buy a tudor black bay 58 or put a limit of a few hundred pounds on a watch.

I'm by no means wealthy but i'm pleased i decided on the tudor, If you dont try for the tudor you would like you might always regret it.

Take a chance would be my advice.  good luck.

• Like 1

About 25 years ago in my late 20s I bought my first "luxury" watch , A Breitling Colt. It cost about £1300 back then and was £1100 more than I had ever spent. I just put it on and wore if for 7 years. Every day. It got a few marks and scratches but its a watch after all .... My advice is that if you are going to spend a lot of money on a watch , then wear the bloody thing ... :thumbsup: My view may seem a bit laid back but in all honesty life is about living and dings and scratches are a part of the watches "life" .... so I say chill and enjoy .... what ever watch is on your wrist .. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Try upping your budget a bit on a used watch. 

Let someone else take the hit at RRP (or whatever discount). 

Buy near mint and WEAR IT !

If you do decide it's not for you then you should be able to move it on with minimal if any loss. 

My MM was just over half retail , and I was a right cissy with it until I got me first mark on the case. Now it's my daily not work not  gardening watch .

Buying the one slightly better (?) watch has made me not really look at anything else for ages. Indeed I have moved on a few cheapies which weren't getting worn ...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

.... My advice is that if you are going to spend a lot of money on a watch , then wear the bloody thing ... :thumbsup: 

Same train of thought here, i see collections on here and think such a shame some wont see the light of day for weeks and months!:(

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dilly said:

Always fancied the Tudor Black Bay 36 but at £2k Im thinking can it be 4 times better than anything else I have with an ETA 2824 movement?

I got one as a gift when they first appeared, I wear it a lot for everything. I put a "screen saver" on the crystal, which is just about undetectable, to protect it from scratches. It's picked a few scratches up on the bracelet, which are easily dressed/polished out. As to whether it's worth the extra, who knows ? David Beckham and Lady Gaga will require their "Celebrity" endorsement fees.

From experience, you'll be wary and conscious of potentially scratching it until the first scratch; after which, you'll treat it as a normal inexpensive watch.

Buy it, wear it, enjoy it; life really is too short to be worrying about scratching a bit of metal or glass.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

I must agree.   It's like buying a car and leaving it on the drive!

I think that depends - if you are a stamp collector you don't stick them on postcards, or collect thimbles because you like sewing - at any one time about half my watches are in cases dotted about my living room - I think they are great to look at as well as to wear.   and I have memorabilia dotted about too, like an American newspaper advert for my '38 Pierce chronograph, a Russian flyer for my Poljot 2414, a picture of Yuri Gagarin wearing a Zim Chapaev.  I agree with the statement about the 2824-2 - mine is spot on for the daily rate and my best watch / timekeeper.  But many of my favourite watches to wear are nowhere near the priciest.  I bought a 'luxury' watch 25 years ago, to kill my 'collecting' and it took about 15 years I suppose until I gave in to wearing different different watches again.  It's up to you, do you want to wear one watch - or many?  I would say the latter.  There are beautiful watches, accurate watches, out there that do not carry the price tag but will last a long long time.  The watch I am wearing now is nothing special - quite a decent Swiss movement but it is over 100 years old and still going strong.  My only advice would be to avoid PVD unless it is for a beater - plating is always a risk, I don't think DLC had been around long enough to know - so probably stainless or titanium.  And avoid acres of polished real estate for a daily.  You can probably get quite a few deals too, so you can turn your 500 into 700.  And easier to sell if you don't bond.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1
59 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I got one as a gift when they first appeared, I wear it a lot for everything. I put a "screen saver" on the crystal, which is just about undetectable, to protect it from scratches. It's picked a few scratches up on the bracelet, which are easily dressed/polished out. As to whether it's worth the extra, who knows ? David Beckham and Lady Gaga will require their "Celebrity" endorsement fees.

This actually is a big turn off. I like Tudor because of the quality of the watches they make and its a very relevant comment WRENCH about the endorsement fees adding to the cost. Maybe Tudor has become to current and trendy for me at the moment. Ball is my other lust but I think caution on the initial spend is important there as they wont hold their value as well I wouldn't think.  

1 minute ago, Dilly said:

This actually is a big turn off. I like Tudor because of the quality of the watches they make and its a very relevant comment WRENCH about the endorsement fees adding to the cost. Maybe Tudor has become to current and trendy for me at the moment. Ball is my other lust but I think caution on the initial spend is important there as they wont hold their value as well I wouldn't think.  

I wouldn't let that put you off what is an excellent watch. Out of my collection, it's the one that would be least likely to go. By today's standards it's a small watch, but I find 36mm perfect, and the watch is very comfortable on the wrist.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

Worth mentioning discounts are possible on Tudor, and a worthy alternative is available from CW @38mm, just shy of £1k and a chronometer.

C65-38A3H2-S00K0-B0_Picture_1.jpg?sw=200

Ive never looked at these, just had a squint on their website. I had myself looking at the 'inspired' by the marines video clip etc. Its all marketing like them all, this hobby is like a drug, we immerse ourselves in the heritage, and nostalgia and then find another watch we 'need'! I used to work in the Whisky industry they are the worse, I shouldn't fall for this stuff but I cant help it. Made I just need a humble good quality watch like a SINN. 

I have several watches which are "too nice" to wear!  I built one for myself from brand new swiss parts, 7750 movement, sapphire crystals front and rear, surgical steel case and very solid stainless bracelet.  I wear it most days and love it.  It has day,date and chrono so does everything I could ask for.  It gains a couple of seconds a day, so after a few days I just pull the crown and push it when time catches me up!  I doubt that I could adjust it so finely to eliminate the gain!  It's your money and your choice I'm afraid!

Edited by tixntox
5 minutes ago, Dilly said:

Ive never looked at these, just had a squint on their website. I had myself looking at the 'inspired' by the marines video clip etc. Its all marketing like them all, this hobby is like a drug, we immerse ourselves in the heritage, and nostalgia and then find another watch we 'need'! I used to work in the Whisky industry they are the worse, I shouldn't fall for this stuff but I cant help it. Made I just need a humble good quality watch like a SINN. 

Watches without hype ?

Here's what I mostly wore before the Blackbay, O & W M65, base 2824, 36mm, probably bought it new 15-20 years ago, for £125.

large.20200718_073323_kindlephoto-509469.jpg.96b7bcbff826cfb02eaff79487418d85.jpg

• Like 1

One of my favourite watches is this VERY early (Aug 1972) Seiko 3803 quartz analogue that's new price, in 1972,  was the equivalent of around £3,500 in 2020.....I bought it a few years ago, before they were seen as collectable, for £25. I still see it as a very expensive watch, worth far more to me than some mass produced £200 watch and you can keep your new 'poverty spec' £2K watches I'll stick with my vintage watches........

MF0C5cc.jpg

Incidently I picked this watch up today to wear and as I had to advance the date by one day, it would appear that I last wore it in July.......I checked the time it was showing against 'time.is' and it was only one second out.....been wearing it all day and still the same one second out.....:cool:

Edited by John_D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, John_D said:

One of my favourite watches is this VERY early (Aug 1972) Seiko 3803 quartz analogue that's new price, in 1972,  was the equivalent of around £3,500 in 2020.....I bought it a few years ago, before they were seen as collectable, for £25. I still see it as a very expensive watch, worth far more to me than some mass produced £200 watch and you can keep your new 'poverty spec' £2K watches I'll stick with my vintage watches........

MF0C5cc.jpg

Incidently I picked this watch up today to wear and as I had to advance the date by one day, it would appear that I last wore it in July.......I checked the time it was showing against 'time.is' and it was only one second out.....been wearing it all day and still the same one second out.....:cool:

How did you find out the original price of your Seiko?  I have an early 70s quartz Seiko, a 3862-8000.  It would be interesting to know what the original price was.

EDIT - Whoops, not to worry, I found it when I just googled 3862 rather than the full number.

Edited by AlexC1981
15 hours ago, Dilly said:

Ive been into watches and clocks for about 20 years. I do some basic repairs, case refinishing, crystal replacement etc for friends and family and have built up a collection of just over 30 watches. 

Seiko Alpinist -  CWC SBS Tritium - Glycine Combat Sub - Hamilton Khaki Mechanical - Yema Superman - RADO Hyperchrome. 

My step father was a clearance/sat diver who owned several Rolex submariners including a COMEX faced all of which he sold without any attachment to what he said where simply tools of the trade, he now wears a fit bit aged 75! I think I am haunted by his disregard for the so called 'luxury' status we place on these items. I am impeccable in my care for time pieces. My wife bought me a G-Shock for DIY which I couldn't bring myself to use so this has become a sea/beach watch for walking the dog and swimming with the kids. 

Im also concerned at £2k ill be too scared to even use the watch, imagine catching it on a car door etc :(

Thanks

Go for the 2k I’ve traded up to reduce my collection. Sometimes quality over quantity wins the day

14 hours ago, JonnyOldBoy said:

My advice is that if you are going to spend a lot of money on a watch , then wear the bloody thing ... :thumbsup: 

I couldn’t put it any better. But having said that, quality over quantity every time.

• Like 1

When I bought my Royal Oak it was 5k and I hardly took it off my wrist for ten years.   Now it's three times that I am very careful about wearing it.

It depends on the watch really.   Something at 2k I wouldn't really think about unless it is made of gold (soft cases mark easy) or if is vintage and lacks waterproof or shockproof etc.

I am not hard on any of my watches and take care of all of them but the worry barrier sets in somewhere north of 7k.   Certainly my Patek and Ap now get worn significantly less than my speedmaster or seamaster.   

20 hours ago, Dilly said:

Thanks

I would be more upset scratching my car.

• Haha 1