UK Watch Forum banner

Three or four £500 watches or one at £2k? Struggling to make the jump to so called 'luxury'.

1K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  Jet Jetski 
#1 ·
Ive been into watches and clocks for about 20 years. I do some basic repairs, case refinishing, crystal replacement etc for friends and family and have built up a collection of just over 30 watches.

If we forget about sentimental value the highlights of my collection are:

Seiko Alpinist - CWC SBS Tritium - Glycine Combat Sub - Hamilton Khaki Mechanical - Yema Superman - RADO Hyperchrome.

The RADO was the dearest watch I've ever purchased at £600 from Jomashop.

Always fancied the Tudor Black Bay 36 but at £2k Im thinking can it be 4 times better than anything else I have with an ETA 2824 movement?

My step father was a clearance/sat diver who owned several Rolex submariners including a COMEX faced all of which he sold without any attachment to what he said where simply tools of the trade, he now wears a fit bit aged 75! I think I am haunted by his disregard for the so called 'luxury' status we place on these items. I am impeccable in my care for time pieces. My wife bought me a G-Shock for DIY which I couldn't bring myself to use so this has become a sea/beach watch for walking the dog and swimming with the kids.

Im also concerned at £2k ill be too scared to even use the watch, imagine catching it on a car door etc :(

What have you thought after significantly raising your spend for a watch?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks
I think just be carefull with it, first few weeks im forever checking for good timekeeping, scratches etc, when the fist light scratch/blemish appears its like lifting a weight off my shoulders. :)

Price dosnt really concern me, not becasue im loaded, im not, basically i`ve thought about it for along time and done thorough research on it!

#3 ·
I have a self imposed limit of 200-ish quid per watch, and most of my collection are significantly cheaper than that. I don't see the attraction of watches that are really expensive, but good on anyone who can afford them. I'm happy with my collection, and that is all that matters at the end of the day.

The OP has answered his own question by saying "I'm also concerned at £2k I'll be too scared to even use the watch"

#4 ·
I understand your problem i have liked watches all my life but only started buying/collecting in the last two years.

I was not sure wether to buy a tudor black bay 58 or put a limit of a few hundred pounds on a watch.

I'm by no means wealthy but i'm pleased i decided on the tudor, If you dont try for the tudor you would like you might always regret it.

Take a chance would be my advice. good luck.

#5 ·
About 25 years ago in my late 20s I bought my first "luxury" watch , A Breitling Colt. It cost about £1300 back then and was £1100 more than I had ever spent. I just put it on and wore if for 7 years. Every day. It got a few marks and scratches but its a watch after all .... My advice is that if you are going to spend a lot of money on a watch , then wear the bloody thing ... :thumbsup: My view may seem a bit laid back but in all honesty life is about living and dings and scratches are a part of the watches "life" .... so I say chill and enjoy .... what ever watch is on your wrist ..

#6 ·
Try upping your budget a bit on a used watch.

Let someone else take the hit at RRP (or whatever discount).

Buy near mint and WEAR IT !

If you do decide it's not for you then you should be able to move it on with minimal if any loss.

My MM was just over half retail , and I was a right cissy with it until I got me first mark on the case. Now it's my daily not work not gardening watch .

Buying the one slightly better (?) watch has made me not really look at anything else for ages. Indeed I have moved on a few cheapies which weren't getting worn ...

#9 ·
Always fancied the Tudor Black Bay 36 but at £2k Im thinking can it be 4 times better than anything else I have with an ETA 2824 movement?
I got one as a gift when they first appeared, I wear it a lot for everything. I put a "screen saver" on the crystal, which is just about undetectable, to protect it from scratches. It's picked a few scratches up on the bracelet, which are easily dressed/polished out. As to whether it's worth the extra, who knows ? David Beckham and Lady Gaga will require their "Celebrity" endorsement fees.

#14 ·
This actually is a big turn off. I like Tudor because of the quality of the watches they make and its a very relevant comment WRENCH about the endorsement fees adding to the cost. Maybe Tudor has become to current and trendy for me at the moment. Ball is my other lust but I think caution on the initial spend is important there as they wont hold their value as well I wouldn't think.

#16 ·
Worth mentioning discounts are possible on Tudor, and a worthy alternative is available from CW @38mm, just shy of £1k and a chronometer.

C65-38A3H2-S00K0-B0_Picture_1.jpg?sw=200
Ive never looked at these, just had a squint on their website. I had myself looking at the 'inspired' by the marines video clip etc. Its all marketing like them all, this hobby is like a drug, we immerse ourselves in the heritage, and nostalgia and then find another watch we 'need'! I used to work in the Whisky industry they are the worse, I shouldn't fall for this stuff but I cant help it. Made I just need a humble good quality watch like a SINN.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have several watches which are "too nice" to wear! I built one for myself from brand new swiss parts, 7750 movement, sapphire crystals front and rear, surgical steel case and very solid stainless bracelet. I wear it most days and love it. It has day,date and chrono so does everything I could ask for. It gains a couple of seconds a day, so after a few days I just pull the crown and push it when time catches me up! I doubt that I could adjust it so finely to eliminate the gain! It's your money and your choice I'm afraid!

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
One of my favourite watches is this VERY early (Aug 1972) Seiko 3803 quartz analogue that's new price, in 1972, was the equivalent of around £3,500 in 2020.....I bought it a few years ago, before they were seen as collectable, for £25. I still see it as a very expensive watch, worth far more to me than some mass produced £200 watch and you can keep your new 'poverty spec' £2K watches I'll stick with my vintage watches........

MF0C5cc.jpg

Incidently I picked this watch up today to wear and as I had to advance the date by one day, it would appear that I last wore it in July.......I checked the time it was showing against 'time.is' and it was only one second out.....been wearing it all day and still the same one second out..... :cool:

#21 · (Edited by Moderator)
One of my favourite watches is this VERY early (Aug 1972) Seiko 3803 quartz analogue that's new price, in 1972, was the equivalent of around £3,500 in 2020.....I bought it a few years ago, before they were seen as collectable, for £25. I still see it as a very expensive watch, worth far more to me than some mass produced £200 watch and you can keep your new 'poverty spec' £2K watches I'll stick with my vintage watches........

MF0C5cc.jpg

Incidently I picked this watch up today to wear and as I had to advance the date by one day, it would appear that I last wore it in July.......I checked the time it was showing against 'time.is' and it was only one second out.....been wearing it all day and still the same one second out..... :cool:
How did you find out the original price of your Seiko? I have an early 70s quartz Seiko, a 3862-8000. It would be interesting to know what the original price was.

EDIT - Whoops, not to worry, I found it when I just googled 3862 rather than the full number.

#22 ·
Ive been into watches and clocks for about 20 years. I do some basic repairs, case refinishing, crystal replacement etc for friends and family and have built up a collection of just over 30 watches.

Seiko Alpinist - CWC SBS Tritium - Glycine Combat Sub - Hamilton Khaki Mechanical - Yema Superman - RADO Hyperchrome.

My step father was a clearance/sat diver who owned several Rolex submariners including a COMEX faced all of which he sold without any attachment to what he said where simply tools of the trade, he now wears a fit bit aged 75! I think I am haunted by his disregard for the so called 'luxury' status we place on these items. I am impeccable in my care for time pieces. My wife bought me a G-Shock for DIY which I couldn't bring myself to use so this has become a sea/beach watch for walking the dog and swimming with the kids.

Im also concerned at £2k ill be too scared to even use the watch, imagine catching it on a car door etc :(

Thanks
Go for the 2k I've traded up to reduce my collection. Sometimes quality over quantity wins the day

#24 ·
When I bought my Royal Oak it was 5k and I hardly took it off my wrist for ten years. Now it's three times that I am very careful about wearing it.

It depends on the watch really. Something at 2k I wouldn't really think about unless it is made of gold (soft cases mark easy) or if is vintage and lacks waterproof or shockproof etc.

I am not hard on any of my watches and take care of all of them but the worry barrier sets in somewhere north of 7k. Certainly my Patek and Ap now get worn significantly less than my speedmaster or seamaster.

#25 ·

Thanks
I would be more upset scratching my car.

#27 ·
I have a small, eclectic collection ranging from Ulysse Nardin and Breitling to Smiths and Spinnaker. There is a definite jump in quality between say the Smiths and the UN. Not to say the Smiths is bad (it's really very good) but the finishing and feel of the more expensive watch is on another level. I wear the Smiths regularly and use it to tell the time, when I wear the UN I can spend minutes looking at the dial detail.

I'd say follow the advice above regards 2nd hand, you get a lot more bang for your buck on the pre-owned market and while buying new is great experience and discounts can be had, it's fleeting and not comparable to the 'discount' you get buying used, never mind the fact that if you do decide that higher end watches aren't for you (no shame in that) you will take less of a hit if you sell it.

As for reluctance to wear an expensive watch, just ensure they are covered on your contents insurance policy either as a named item 'away from home' or that the 'away from home' maximum cover will cover your watch for theft, loss and damage. I'm about to change / renew my B&C insurance and Marks & Spencer insurance has great 'away from home' cover allowing up to £15k (not that I need that much for the watches I have)

#28 ·
well i made the jump from a £500 gucci which i thought was the bees knees, to used £1500 breitling , to a used £ 2 k omega to a £3k GS / cartier, to a 5K rolex, to a £6.5 k rolex ( still have all excet the gucci) in 4 years here , i value the breitling as much as the rolex,

my point being its not that hard to make the jumps once you have owned a quality watch imo. however i am carefull with them all, but wear them all in rotation,

deano

ps i have £200 watches i treat the same as my most expensive too.

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)

Thanks
I was in your corner until recently - there are a couple I might splash out on, at around 2k, one of them is a Speedmaster 125 - lots of them come up because they are unloved, but I fancy one for my Russian space-watch box. I am thinking if I sell a couple to raise 1k, then I would get it half price!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.