• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sorting and storing your collection.

21 hours ago, Alpha550t said:

Plenty on ebay.    Loads of sizes.

I know, but I would rather just nip into store and nab one! Along with an inflatable dingy, some rip off mars bars and a cuddly toy! 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vintage     Modern   The trouble is knowing what to wear.

Noooooo! The 'Seiko' box is for Seikos only...if one goes, it has to be replaced by another. Luckily, that hasn't been a problem for a while as I haven't bought or sold any watches for well over a yea

All my Seikos live in one Lidl tea box...(some of these are gone now) ...and the 'also rans' live in another.

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I was retiring to my chambers and "technology corner" caught my eye.

Early attempts at keeping moisture out of wristwatches.

IMG_20201006_212032331(1).thumb.jpg.75f1e44eda9fced8a5203685b5ede357.jpg

Starting  (L-R) with a 1914 screw bezel and back from Rolex, the next is similar in some ways but with a 1918 Borgel patent stem-set design, third is a 1927  Rolex Watch Co 'Oyster' case, then Mr. Harwood's 1929 idea of dispensing with a winding / setting stem completely; the penultimate watch is a clam-shell patent around 1937 from Audax (Fortis bumper movt.), and finally my 1940 Movado chronometer with a Taubert (Borgel) case, that has a tight fitting cork sleeve for the stem to pass through.

Hope you are all well.

J

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I wonder if there is an 'average' amount of watches that form a collection on the forum. Maybe we should take a poll? 

I've got 60 in my collection at the moment, and that number seems to have stayed pretty stable for a while.  If I see something I like I try to pay for it by selling one or more watches, which keeps the hobby more or less self funding most of the time, while introducing new blood into the collection.  There are exceptions, of course, but mostly I only use money that has built up in my PayPal account from occasional watch sales (the money doesn't usually stay in there for very long... :laughing2dw:)

Here's how I store the watches in my home office, starting with the "top 20" all nicely protected in their soft cushions:

20201007_095600

And here are the rest, sitting in the cheap seats:

20201007_095728

:rltrlt:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I've got 60 in my collection at the moment, and that number seems to have stayed pretty stable for a while.  If I see something I like I try to pay for it by selling one or more watches, which keeps the hobby more or less self funding most of the time, while introducing new blood into the collection.  There are exceptions, of course, but mostly I only use money that has built up in my PayPal account from occasional watch sales (the money doesn't usually stay in there for very long... :laughing2dw:)

Here's how I store the watches in my home office, starting with the "top 20" all nicely protected in their soft cushions:

20201007_095600

20201007_095728

Really nice, love the 'carbon fibre' sectioned drawer!

8 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Really nice, love the 'carbon fibre' sectioned drawer!

Yes mate, it is genuine faux carbon fibre looky-likey self adhesive vinyl - All the F1 teams are using it these days :laughing2dw:

Looks even better close up...:

20201007_095647

:thumbsup:

Edited by Davey P
photo added
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Davey P said:

20201007_095600

20201007_095728

Impressive 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I've got 60 in my collection at the moment, and that number seems to have stayed pretty stable for a while.

That's a nice number...manageable.

I think that once you need to have a spreadsheet to see where you are at with your watches then you're starting to become more of a museum for watches than owning a watch collection.

I'd like to own around 20-30 watches, but to get to the number I would need a serious cull.

48 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

@Davey P you weren’t meant to find it funny I was expecting adoption papers in my inbox :laugh:

:swoon:

48 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

I'd like to own around 20-30 watches, but to get to the number I would need a serious cull.

I think around 30 would probably be an ideal number.  I've thought about having a cull, and possibly moving some of my cheapies on, but I'm just too lazy to sort it out :laughing2dw:

I've got watches that don't get worn in between battery changes, which seems a bit pointless... :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 and a few never to be worn bad bad bad EBay buys tucked away from view somewhere.

The 36 are in three cases of 12 grouped by manufacturer. 

I do have a watch winder which I use occasionally for anything but my Hamilton’s which just don’t get on with it. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Davey P said:

Yes mate, it is genuine faux carbon fibre looky-likey self adhesive vinyl - All the F1 teams are using it these days :laughing2dw:

Looks even better close up...:

20201007_095647

:thumbsup:

Gold Blue Peter badge!

I am at my limit from a security point of view, I seldom go away these days, after working away for years, which is why my collection swelled, but I am security conscious and I balance my collection against how many I can really safely take away with me when I DO go away!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My eclectic box has become a little less eclectic, I went through a phase of rejecting watches too similar to something I already own, but decided that when it comes to a box full, similarity is a good thing, so the eclectic box has, with the addition of a couple more black dial watches, become 'kwartz korner'!

IMG_20201017_121856469(1).thumb.jpg.b306b674abea80a52ff2462d47bacc4f.jpg

At the moment Ive got 3 which are very specific to what I need objectively and subjectively. Being left handed the run is from left to right in my 3 watch storage case and angled on cushion at about plus 20 degress north on the rear side. 

The Sarb sits to far left and is objectively positioned to guard the crown against a closing lid. Even though subjectively It won't catch on the felt, it just looks like it would which is where subjectivity and objectivity are at logger heads. However it makes sense to me. My objectively sensible watch to the left as im left handed.

In the middle sits my currently favourite girl. My 1980 demour twin quartz as she needs protecting. September 1980 reminds me of Abbas Super Truper or is it trooper and this watch in the purity of it all reminds me of the blonde girl in the white dress who gave me a fizz then and still sends shivers now. 

On the far right is the late 70s king quartz which is objectively the least liked of my watches and subjectively the best made in case at least and possibly in relation to the 'tang' which is only about as thick as a human hair but operates the worlds first known stepper motor in a watch for extra fine accuracy. I leave it on the cold side of the box because whilst i respect its technology for then I do feel Seiko were just gloating at their destruction of the Swiss Mechanical watch industry. Which was as much to do with clever Lawyers advising on no patent for the quartz Astron. Which being left handed appeals to me even if ive actually or maybe reversed polarity in my objectivity and subjectivity in the first sentence of this last para.

Sensibly it sits at that side because it is smaller than the 033 and being lefty then im more likely to safeguard the large crown. 

You dont need a photo the evidence is clear to see in my words. Photos are very unreliable because you never know the source or reality. 

Edited by Nigelp
The swiss wont like it up em
16 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

I have just seen a 4-watch winder for £100 and it is on my wish list!

Why not lend 3 watches out on a ratio of the unworn over period of time of power reserve. Its cheaper and spreads joy. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Nigelp said:

Why not lend 3 watches out on a ratio of the unworn over period of time of power reserve. Its cheaper and spreads joy. 

Good point well made.  I have thought about that and postage costs do become an issue.

Edited by Jet Jetski
5 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Good point well made.  I have thought about that and postage costs do become an issue.

They will pay im sure 

We could create a Trust. 

Let me know

7 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

They will pay im sure 

Not sure - a round trip special D for this would be £16.00 - 20% of the value of the watch  - to wear a small mechanical marrow ...

IMG_20201011_203252023(1)(1).thumb.jpg.9c9132ae2d517accec0ab6b3fdd124bd.jpg

you would have to send it special D to get there before the PR ran out.

Remind me to iron the strap out to 20mm again - it has been squashed on a smaller watch

Edited by Jet Jetski
6 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Not sure - a round trip special D for this would be £16.00 - 20% of the value of the watch  - to wear a small mechanical marrow ...

Remind me to iron the strap out to 20mm again - it has been squashed on a smaller watch

Dont bother with that one then just let a mate wear it 

11 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Dont iron it a rolling pin is better. 

Flat wood surface wood pin and give it a good rolling. I had to do that with a crappy omega strap. 

I got ripped off for the strap and the omega. 

• Thanks 1