• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Sorting and storing your collection.

I am sure there are a few collectors that store their watches randomly, but each of my boxes has a topic or theme, though it can be a pain when a new watch arrives and pushes a watch from collection, and you have to find a logic for it to go in another box.  My trench watch has been pushed out of technology corner by a 40's chronometer, and so now finds itself in my 'action watch' box, for when I indulge my sporting proclivities!

IMG_20200912_080655408(1).thumb.jpg.161ecba18369a16ecdcf30163d109665.jpg

I have these watches on standby in case I take up (L-R) 1) Rally driving. 2) Shark diving. 3) Nocturnal orienteering. 4) Pylon racing. 5) Sub-orbital skydiving. 6) Extreme croquet.

How do you divvy up your watches, and is one box more, erm, eclectic, than the others?  I think we should see that!

J

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vintage     Modern   The trouble is knowing what to wear.

Noooooo! The 'Seiko' box is for Seikos only...if one goes, it has to be replaced by another. Luckily, that hasn't been a problem for a while as I haven't bought or sold any watches for well over a yea

All my Seikos live in one Lidl tea box...(some of these are gone now) ...and the 'also rans' live in another.

Posted Images

If you have a day / date complication auto they are a good Idea.  My 'best' auto has a quickset date, no point keeping it wound for the odd occasion, the one I should keep on the winder is my citizen day/date auto 'bullhead', but that is in my 'scales of time' box :laugh: and the one I do keep in the winder is a non-date auto that I wear pretty much every night, so ignore my advice.  People say quartz are grab and go, but so is an accurate auto kept in a winder.  If mine has gained more than five seconds I just leave it off the winder for 36 hours (though still wear it at night) and that calms the rate down.  If it has lost a second or two I give it a few turns of hand winding.  It's always in the zone and never stops.

Edited by Jet Jetski
42 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

What is the general opinion of using watch winders ?   I myself don't have one.    

There was a thread on this previously, split opinion, those who don’t use them and those who do, from the discussion there doesn’t seem to be any proven science they make any difference, it seemed if you just wanted to pick your watch up and go then all’s good, but others felt for the 2 mins it takes to change why bother. Also the improvements in oils means that being better the watch would not dry out if not being used. 

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

All my Seikos live in one Lidl tea box...(some of these are gone now)
Watch Box.

...and the 'also rans' live in another.
Watch Box.

So do you have to leave empty spaces in the Seiko box, or could you put another watch beginning with 'S' in there, like a Sekonda?

3 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

So do you have to leave empty spaces in the Seiko box, or could you put another watch beginning with 'S' in there, like a Sekonda?

Noooooo! The 'Seiko' box is for Seikos only...if one goes, it has to be replaced by another. Luckily, that hasn't been a problem for a while as I haven't bought or sold any watches for well over a year. Now I've got to go and sit down with a cup of tea as your outlandish suggestion has made me go all peculiar....:tongue:

• Haha 6

I use the same as @Roger the Dodger a tea box with pipe lagging , no order though they are just all placed in together 

IMG_20181127_200344418.thumb.jpg.24329bd96384115a71cce81cdc5d31db.jpg

I also have a cardboard box with foam for the remainder of the watches 

Screenshot_2020-09-12-10-04-03-942_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.094c55869b962469177846573a655bb9.jpg

These are old photos and over half these watches have been passed on now. 

Edited by jsud2002
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I work from home, and I've converted one of my desk drawers to a watch box, which holds my top twenty favourites.  The dividers are covered in carbon fibre effect sticky backed plastic (very Blue Peter! :laughing2dw:), and I made individual cushions covered in black velvet (very Austin Powers! :tongue:) to hold them safely in place.  The rest of my collection are on stands dotted around the office, so ironically I get to see the cheapies on display, while the good stuff is hidden away :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Bonzodog said:

6FCFC19A-E67B-47F8-A220-F422D85BCAA7.jpeg

Neat.

51 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

I have a couple of old day/date Citizens that are a real pain to set, so they stay in the winder. All the Allaines are together. The rest are split between two boxes with a logic that I couldn't possibly explain.

I need to plan my citizen day date chroni in advance - quickset the date to match the day shown according to that month's calendar, then hand wind it to the current day date, to avoid having to quick-set the day. 

2 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

need to plan my citizen day date chroni in advance - quickset the date to match the day shown according to that month's calendar, then hand wind it to the current day date, to avoid having to quick-set the day. 

Yes, that's why mine stay in the winder. A cheapo one from eBay, but after buying 4 replacement motors from China I've found 2 that are silent and keep running, touch wood. :bash:

Next thing you’ll be telling me you do hourly updates on a spreadsheet.

:biggrin:

I’m not that organised, to much like hard work, I sold all the good ones and just kept the LV and some other bits and bobs.

50333878987_3e5f48e11c_b.jpg50333879507_1ed2fae1f7_b.jpg50333032163_7c0bb61757_b.jpg

I do have a decent watch box which has more in it, not sure what though haven’t looked for a while 

50333031838_e9bc24720c_b.jpg

, The main issue is what happened to the trainers that were in the boxes I repurposed but that’s a whole other story all together 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

• Haha 4

1 watch box , 12 slots. 

7 watches . 3 slots taken for cuff link boxes - down to only about 7 pairs of links too.

One slot contains some random junk , so currently 2 slots free (one watch on wrist obvi).

:thumbsup:

• Like 1
WB

A quick audit reveals the horror of only having 6 pairs of cufflinks :thumbdown:.

Shelf lifts to reveal 6 slots for bracelets , straps , nato , spring bars etc etc 

Wearing the citizen perp cal today , not had it on in so long almost feels like a new watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1