• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Can anyone kindly offer any advice on which model Panerai luminor is best to buy in terms of value and reliability? I’m looking for a previously owned one - it looks like they sell for approx £2-3k? Any advice from others who have purchased one would be appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, Andrew456 said:

Can anyone kindly offer any advice on which model Panerai luminor is best to buy in terms of value and reliability? I’m looking for a previously owned one - it looks like they sell for approx £2-3k? Any advice from others who have purchased one would be appreciated. Thanks

If you haven't done so already, go and see if you can try one on your wrist at a dealers first. I didn't and made the mistake of selling a watch I loved, and when I went to pick up the Panerai it felt horrible on the wrist, and I knew I couldn't live with it, so I left it alone.

• Like 1

Some models are very big and as Wrench suggests trying a few on is a good idea, in terms of reliability there are no issues I am aware of. I think you will be hard pressed to find a decent pre-owned Panerai Luminor in your £2k to £3k price range in the UK, I would have thought £3k to £4k is a more realistic price - certainly if Chrono24 is anything to go by.

Thanks both. That’s brilliant advice. Will look for a dealer!

On 13/09/2020 at 19:00, Nick Parr 1977 said:

Hi, I can’t be very much help and not looked at that brand before, on a quick search they look to start preowned above 3k and keep going up and up and up. 

Yes maybe I was being hopeful around the price! After more searching I can see the range is more like 3.5-5k gbp. Thanks v much.

unless you love it don't get the white dial, as they are harder to sell on.  These Panerai are widely faked so ensure the seller is 100% first.

I also fancy one, but haven't found the one for me yet (manual wind, small seconds, exhibition case back, 44mm, black dial is my choice)

Personally I'd buy a 'Parnis homage' from bay or Ali for under £100 and see if you like how it wears. They are easy to sell on if you decide it's not for you or if you decide on the 'real thing'. I bought a spinnaker hull 'radiomir like' and just cant get on the with the tall case / short lugs, it just sits badly on my rounded wrist top.

Your price is as has been said above a little optimistic I feel, unfortunately that kind of pricing puts you right in the strike zone for scammers (expensive enough to seem real, cheap enough for you to not to want to miss a bargain) so either buy from a bricks and mortar re-seller (and pay a bit more) or be willing for your new watch to be a wrong 'un - also be aware that box & papers are no guarantee. Do your due diligence, search for the serial number on the net (most fakes have the same s/n although is is sometimes not the case) and if possible get confirmation from panerai themselves that the watch is genuine somehow.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Like 1

I have looked at Panerai over the years and have loved them from a distance - they are a bit of a Marmite brand or an acquired taste but the Panerai name is in the pantheon of the classics. There have been some very helpful remarks made on this thread and WRENCH, JoT , and scottswatches have, in their combined posts, basically said what I myself would have said about buying a Panerai. Good luck with your search, and always tread with caution on this one, @Andrew456.

• Like 1

I tried a few on in a local jewellers a bit back, fit and finish was excellent but I was just a bit underwhelmed and didn’t buy.

I’m not sure about this buying a Micky mouser just to see what it would be like, in reality it will give you no idea what a real one would feel like, a bit like buying a Beatle kit car to see if you’d like a real 911. Waste of a hundred or so quid if you ask me but hey ho

To me if you want the one, like them and can afford it crack on as the cheap look-a-likies usually only disappoint. And that’s not just watches.

:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought and sold a white 8 DAYS recently. Lovely watch but I really wanted the black one. Great advice from Scott. 
I am now convinced it’s the Radiomir Black Seal small seconds PAM00754 for me. Once I’ve got over the shock of my latest arrival today. 
Good luck with the hunt - definitely try a few on for size and comfort and make sure you’re really comfortable you’re going to love it. 

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, julian2002 said:

Personally I'd buy a 'Parnis homage' from bay or Ali for under £100 and see if you like how it wears. They are easy to sell on if you decide it's not for you or if you decide on the 'real thing'. I bought a spinnaker hull 'radiomir like' and just cant get on the with the tall case / short lugs, it just sits badly on my rounded wrist top.

Your price is as has been said above a little optimistic I feel, unfortunately that kind of pricing puts you right in the strike zone for scammers (expensive enough to seem real, cheap enough for you to not to want to miss a bargain) so either buy from a bricks and mortar re-seller (and pay a bit more) or be willing for your new watch to be a wrong 'un - also be aware that box & papers are no guarantee. Do your due diligence, search for the serial number on the net (most fakes have the same s/n although is is sometimes not the case) and if possible get confirmation from panerai themselves that the watch is genuine somehow.

I bought a homage Omega SMP, and it helped me decide to buy one, well in fact I now have two - one quartz and one auto.

Got my money back on the homage as well.

• Like 1
On 15/09/2020 at 11:50, scottswatches said:

unless you love it don't get the white dial, as they are harder to sell on.  These Panerai are widely faked so ensure the seller is 100% first.

I also fancy one, but haven't found the one for me yet (manual wind, small seconds, exhibition case back, 44mm, black dial is my choice)

Like your taste! I’m not keen on the white faced ones either - but thanks for the tip on fakes!

On 15/09/2020 at 15:34, julian2002 said:

Thanks for this fantastic advice Julian - super helpful.

On 15/09/2020 at 15:41, Always"watching" said:

I have looked at Panerai over the years and have loved them from a distance - they are a bit of a Marmite brand or an acquired taste but the Panerai name is in the pantheon of the classics. There have been some very helpful remarks made on this thread and WRENCH, JoT , and scottswatches have, in their combined posts, basically said what I myself would have said about buying a Panerai. Good luck with your search, and always tread with caution on this one, @Andrew456.

Nice one AlwaysWatching, appreciate your comments and agree that people’s comments have been very awareness raising!

On 15/09/2020 at 16:00, BondandBigM said:

I tried a few on in a local jewellers a bit back, fit and finish was excellent but I was just a bit underwhelmed and didn’t buy.

I’m not sure about this buying a Micky mouser just to see what it would be like, in reality it will give you no idea what a real one would feel like, a bit like buying a Beatle kit car to see if you’d like a real 911. Waste of a hundred or so quid if you ask me but hey ho

To me if you want the one, like them and can afford it crack on as the cheap look-a-likies usually only disappoint. And that’s not just watches.

:)

Agreed! Thanks for your thoughts. 

• Like 2