• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

New Arrival: Skagen Viggo Gents' Steel Mesh and Titanium Watch

I have just splashed out £30 in a local charity shop on a rather beautiful pre-owned Skagen Viggo in titanium with a steel mesh bracelet (Model number 234XXLT). I believe that this particular model is just about no longer current but I did manage find it still advertized on the Skagen website for £84.99, down from RRP of £135. I fell in love with the watch as soon as I picked it up; the quality of the watch itself seems to be impeccable and in addition to the fine aesthetics, the watch feels gorgeous in the hand with the case moving smoothly into the slinky mesh bracelet. The watch has a 42mm case and is a slim 7mm thick; the crystal is "super hardened mineral" glass. The only thing I am not so keen on is the fixing of the strap. I would have preferred a buckle or a more substantial steel fitting rather than the foldover clasp chosen for the watch - see bottom picture. 

The watch is in very nice condition but I would like to just clean the bracelet a little where it has been worn against the former owner's skin. I am a bit nervous about removing the mesh strap, which attaches to the watch by tiny screws, and I am also concerned about the effect any cleaning might have on the matt grey finish of the steel strap. I do not want to find myself being left with shiny steel where before cleaning was a nice finish matching the titanium case. I would appreciate any advice on how to gently clean the mesh  bracelet without affecting the grey finish on both the mesh strap and the foldover clasp.

234XXLT_main?$refbase_xlarge$&wid=700&he

234XXLT_9?$refbase_xlarge$&wid=700&hei=7

(Pics from fossil.scene7.com)

• Like 5
  • Always"watching" changed the title to New Arrival: Skagen Viggo Gents' Steel Mesh and Titanium Watch
2 hours ago, johnboy24 said:

An ultrasonic bath should do the trick.

It's amazing what crud builds up in a bracelet.

Worth mentioning, in case it isn't obvious, do not submerge the whole watch into the ultrasonic bath, but take the bracelet off first and clean the watch head separately (i.e. Not in the ultrasonic).

• Thanks 1

Steradent false teeth solution works wonders. Balance the watch head on two or three pencils over a small jug of warm water.  Drop the tablets iOne is enough usually and watch it fizz up.

leave say 3 minutes ,and lift out

all the crud will be at the bottom of the jug  but place Watch  On kitchen roll and gently brush with toothbrush and clean water. Even more much comes off. Rinse and brush with clean water.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, bridgeman said:

Steradent false teeth solution works wonders. Balance the watch head on two or three pencils over a small jug of warm water.  Drop the tablets iOne is enough usually and watch it fizz up.

leave say 3 minutes ,and lift out

all the crud will be at the bottom of the jug  but place Watch  On kitchen roll and gently brush with toothbrush and clean water. Even more much comes off. Rinse and brush with clean water.

I do this at the same time as my teeth, saves on tablets. :thumbs_up:

• Haha 3

I have a similar-ish Skagen that I bought on a Delta flight from Atlanta in 1996

large.6C96E792-50FB-4A6A-ADA0-020BF2BFE867.jpeg.623a05764b0ef6e784fd74458b93e214.jpeg

the super hardened mineral glass wasn’t quite hard enough, got scratched and was replaced inexpertly by me. 

Battery long dead, and it’ll never get worn.. so happy to donate as a test subject for any experiments ?

strap on this one uses standard spring bars but probably has as much dna sample material as yours does.  Want me to give it a scrub up and see what happens?

My memory’s terrible. Must’ve been around 2005 I got this. 

Anyway...Had at it with a toothbrush and it cleaned up a treat.  The mesh was already a little shiny in places but overall still matches the case pretty well.  Bunged a battery in and it’s working spot on.

large.5CE1C1AA-92EB-457C-B57C-C087A8B887C1.jpeg.3547889b7aa1bfda795a89b7624adcbf.jpeg

Original pic makes yours look much darker than this though. Is it like that in the flesh?