• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Selling Watches on The Watch Forum - Advice Needed

I have bought a couple of watches from the classifieds on The Watch Forum (thanks Roy) but I have never sold anything.

I am getting frustrated with Flebay and their petty rules, my account is now 'restricted' from selling anything with them at the moment as I put a Rolex Rebberg movement in the wrong category... 

"Jewellery & Watches>Watches, Parts & Accessories>Watches>Wristwatches" ; however, it is not the relevant one. We would like to suggest the most appropriate category for your product where the buyers may tend to look for; apparently, helps in speedy sale.Correct category for your product should only be : "Jewellery & Watches>Watches, Parts & Accessories>Parts, Tools & Guides>Parts>Movements"

This happens to me for selling something in the wrong category, and yet a buyer that won three items I had listed decided not to pay, and has not replied to any messages...what happens to them? absolutely nothing!

So here is my question...

Who has sold any watches, and or watch parts and how did it go for you?

I have never sold on Chr0no24 (not sure why), and Flebay are annoying me with the way they penalise sellers, and leave bad buyers untouched.

Yes, a wee bit of a rant attached to the main question, sorry for that. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is this ‘selling’ of watches you talk about...pray tell ?      

I've sold plenty on here with no issues at all, and bought a fair few as well. I tend to stick to well established forum members, some I have dealt with both buying and selling more than once, an

I've bought and sold plenty of watches on ebay in the past without any problems, but I'd only use it as a last resort now. The sales corner on here is extremely reliable from my experience. Every

Sold a watch to a chap from Germany for £500.00 notes, and it went fine - I got the money in my bank first.  I guess he bought the seller lol.  DHL stiffed me, but there you go (and there went my profit ha ha ha, but the customer was happy - like Wow!  I got the watch the next day!)  Yeah, so I got good feedback, and good experience ...

p.s. save one of those crowns

p.p.s. the pumpkin ones :laughing2dw:

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always used the bay, and I’ve sold a lot on there had a few issues but nothing major, when I’ve had an issue I always ring and they have always sorted it out, even after having a couple of warnings for rule breaking, I’m just a criminal, lock me up.

Got a lovely Victorian rocking chairs on at the moment, my top is I won’t sell to anyone who doesn’t contact me.

my recommendation is ring them, only as only ever used gmtree not impressed just got more rubbish from buyers.

sorry can’t speak for specific watch sites as most of mine is antiques

• Thanks 1

I've bought and sold a few watches on the forum with no problems whatsoever.  Activity can be slower than Ebay though.

Ive given up selling on eBay as well. Last item goes out today which I didn't really want to do but need to balance the books after I bought a Gibson guitar.   Fingers crossed etc. 

• Thanks 1

It's pretty straight forward selling on here...write your ad, take some pics and simply upload. The big advantage of selling here is that you will probably know the buyer, or can communicate with them via the PM service, as all are genuine watch enthusiasts. Members can't access the Classifieds until they reach 50 posts, so hopefully by then, we have got to know them a bit better. There is also the 'feedback' section, where you can see a potential buyer's reputation, and you can also see a members feedback by clicking on their profile.  Over the 11 years or so that I've been a member of the forum, I've exclusively bought and sold many watches via the classifieds without any problems at all. Good luck with your sales! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Jet Jetski said:

Sold a watch to a chap from Germany for £500.00 notes, and it went fine - I got the money in my bank first.  I guess he bought the seller lol.  DHL stiffed me, but there you go (and there went my profit ha ha ha, but the customer was happy - like Wow!  I got the watch the next day!)  Yeah, so I got good feedback, and good experience ...

p.s. save one of those crowns

p.p.s. the pumpkin ones :laughing2dw:

I am going to be selling off a bag full of 'very' old stems, and crowns (WW1 era), but if you can send me a picture, and some dimensions I will sort through what I have and send you one the size you want if I have one.

Just getting fed up with Flebay, they aren't fair, well a more accurate description is they are fairer with buyers than sellers.

Don't forget those sizes and I'll see what I have.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Roger the Dodger said:

It's pretty straight forward selling on here...write your ad, take some pics and simply upload. The big advantage of selling here is that you will probably know the buyer, or can communicate with them via the PM service, as all are genuine watch enthusiasts. Members can't access the Classifieds until they reach 50 posts, so hopefully by then, we have got to know them a bit better. There is also the 'feedback' section, where you can see a potential buyer's reputation, and you can also see a members feedback by clicking on their profile.  Over the 11 years or so that I've been a member of the forum, I've exclusively bought and sold many watches via the classifieds without any problems at all. Good luck with your sales! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that Roger, I have just had enough with the hoops that Flebay make you jump through. I have 100% feedback with them and they restrict my account because I put a Rolex watch movement in the wrong subsection of Jewellery & Watches - Parts & Accessories...talk about vindictive!

Might be time to move away from selling through them, and some of the bad buyers, non payers, and people that don't understand 'not working, parts or repair'...what person buys a watch described as not working for parts or repair and thinks that putting a new battery in it constitutes a 'repair' then asks for a refund because 'it doesn't work'.

Sorry about the rant....but you have to worry for a world where people can't quite grasp the description 'not working' and realise it means it's not working.

I can appreciate what you mean about some buyers on ebay. I've only sold a few watches, but one in particular was sent back even though I specified no returns.            After he received it he proceeded to explain the very same problem with it that I put in the description and demanded a refund !

So getting back to your rant, when you say not working..............:laugh:

• Like 1

Much prefer selling to people I trust on here. Ebay can be a nightmare and there are scams aplenty. The one you don't want is:

"You sold me a fake watch"

"No I didn't"

"I want my money back"

"OK, I want my watch back first"

"You've sent me a fake watch back!"

"Yes, I know. Told you it was fake"

Ebay / Paypal then freeze your funds or issue a debt on the account if you've taken the money out first. Scammer gets his money back and your nice watch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've bought and sold plenty of watches on ebay in the past without any problems, but I'd only use it as a last resort now.

The sales corner on here is extremely reliable from my experience. Everything I've bought has been exactly as described, and everything I've sold has gone smoothly without fuss.  As @Roger the Dodger said previously, "The big advantage of selling here is that you will probably know the buyer, or can communicate with them via the PM service, as all are genuine watch enthusiasts".  That pretty much sums it up really, the members on here have always been honest and easy to deal with, because we all share the same passion (or obsession, depending how you look at it) :laughing2dw:

I've sold a few watches in the past to members on here who didn't have the funds available, so I've sent the watches and waited for payments to arrive at a later date - Can you imagine doing that on ebay? :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I've bought and sold plenty of watches on ebay in the past without any problems, but I'd only use it as a last resort now.

The sales corner on here is extremely reliable from my experience. Everything I've bought has been exactly as described, and everything I've sold has gone smoothly without fuss.  As @Roger the Dodger said previously, "The big advantage of selling here is that you will probably know the buyer, or can communicate with them via the PM service, as all are genuine watch enthusiasts".  That pretty much sums it up really, the members on here have always been honest and easy to deal with, because we all share the same passion (or obsession, depending how you look at it) :laughing2dw:

I've sold a few watches in the past to members on here who didn't have the funds available, so I've sent the watches and waited for payments to arrive at a later date - Can you imagine doing that on ebay? :whistle:

Eco Dave and others 

ebay and face book ok

on here swaps trades much easier and like in the past .. posted before payment or the other party to post theirs etc .. not an issue :yes:

• Like 1
  • JoT changed the title to Selling Watches on The Watch Forum - Advice Needed

I’ve sold on eBay and bought on eBay and the same on the forum (serial flipper lol ) I’ve only had a few problems on eBay but that’s what PayPal protection is their for as a last resort if it goes pear shaped etc

also traded with many members on the forum but only that have plenty off feedback and dealt with before 

but to be fair the forums a great place for buyIng and selling not as busy as the good old days but still worth browsing or selling 

Edited by Iceblue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Iceblue said:

also traded with many members on the forum but only that have plenty off feedback and dealt with before 

I forgot to mention, I've done a fair number of trades on here in the past as well (straight swaps, with no money exchanging hands either way) and that has also been great, with both parties completely satisfied and happy with the swaps.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies, 

I totally understand @relaxer7as I have been sold a fake Seiko Kinetic Auto Relay within the last couple of weeks on the bay.

Seller said his description clearly said that it was 'not authentic' so I sent him a screenshot to jog his memory as it only said Seiko.

He issued a refund...as he should, then he asked me to send it back to him at my cost...yeh right!

Demanded I send back, I told him to pay for postage. Message tennis ensued, but I ended up telling him that he would have pay for postage or I would do what Seiko would want me to do i.e. smash it with a hammer and take a photo to prove it was destroyed.

He got super arsey, and I pleaded with him to contact Ebay to see what they had to say about him selling me a fake watch.

Next day he changed his tune...I guess Flebay told him how the land lies with selling counterfeit items on their platform.

Homage - yes, fake - no.

• Like 2

Even worse when the buyer does a charge back so PayPal freeze the funds, then alleges the watch arrived damaged. So one asks for the watch back and when it returns it has been damaged in a way no transit would do. :angry:

• Like 1

I'd have to say the vast majority of my sales and purchases on the bay have been favourable, but there have a number of dishonest buyers, and a couple of just plain stupid ones.

And today...in comes a purchase from the bay, the seller was great, watch is fine (a couple of touch up jobs), prompt delivery (a little poorly packed), but all in all a really good purchase.

I know it's more watches from 'the cheap seats' but I like Seiko Group chronographs, and Pulsar/Lorus make some pretty decent/weird ones when they use the Seiko 7T62 movement.

This is my first PVD watch, Pulsar YM62-X197, box, papers, tags, spare links...under £30...a bargain!

0e72df809a413c1fdbf72ab9e092e455.jpg

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

I maybe should have mentioned in my earlier post that I haven't had any problems buying on ebay.      I just received this Orient yesterday, quite happy with it. large.20200915_152722.jpg.03a3bae8596c3c5f90f58b96bf08663d.jpg

It's not so much the buying, it's more about the selling, and Flebay's bias towards the buyer rather than the seller.

Sadly there are a few dishonest buyers, and to be fair some dishonest sellers.

I guess it's like surfing in Australia, you know there are sharks in the water, and most of the time you get out of the water unscathed. The more often you get in the water the more opportunities the shark gets to bite you.

I have a love hate relationship with Flebay, sometimes I love it, and sometimes I love to hate it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Thanks for that Roger, I have just had enough with the hoops that Flebay make you jump through. I have 100% feedback with them and they restrict my account because I put a Rolex watch movement in the wrong subsection of Jewellery & Watches - Parts & Accessories...talk about vindictive!

Might be time to move away from selling through them, and some of the bad buyers, non payers, and people that don't understand 'not working, parts or repair'...what person buys a watch described as not working for parts or repair and thinks that putting a new battery in it constitutes a 'repair' then asks for a refund because 'it doesn't work'.

Sorry about the rant....but you have to worry for a world where people can't quite grasp the description 'not working' and realise it means it's not working.

Re: my bold. Is there a difference in fees between the two sections with the area you chose attracting less income for them? That could explain the "vindictiveness"?

2 hours ago, Karrusel said:

What is this ‘selling’ of watches you talk about...pray tell ?

:hmmm9uh:

Well...I had a plan to sell some off and get a JLC Reverso...so the plan had been to sell, save and then buy the Reverso...

but, it's been sell, buy, sell, buy, sell, buy...save funds for Reverso??? not quite but I will have a Reverso this year.

1 hour ago, Watch-and-C said:

Re: my bold. Is there a difference in fees between the two sections with the area you chose attracting less income for them? That could explain the "vindictiveness"?

No, it's all about the item being in their correct subsection so a buyer can find it, so it is purely down to Flebay rapping me on the knuckles for  not letting buyers find what I want to sell.

5 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Well...I had a plan to sell some off and get a JLC Reverso

but, it's been sell, buy, sell, buy, sell, buy...

Still alien to me as I don’t sell timepieces, only buy, buy, buy & more buys (hopefully).

:biggrin:

• Haha 1

I've sold plenty on here with no issues at all, and bought a fair few as well:yes:.

I tend to stick to well established forum members, some I have dealt with both buying and selling more than once, and have become very good forum friends.

8 hours ago, Davey P said:

I forgot to mention, I've done a fair number of trades on here in the past as well (straight swaps, with no money exchanging hands either way) and that has also been great, with both parties completely satisfied and happy with the swaps.

Yep, we did a swap some time ago with no issues at all.

• Like 4