• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 100 posts and be a member for 365 days and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Seiko Kinetic service/repair.

Dannyboy82

Question

Hi,

I have a Seiko kinetic watch from the early 2000’s, like this one - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mens-seiko-kinetic-watch-steel-541566386

It’s in a pretty sorry state and I wondered if there were any suggestions for somebody who could service and repair it.

It was actually a 21st birthday gift from my then girlfriend, now wife so I’d love to get it up and running again.

Obviously it’s not worth much so wouldn’t want to spend a fortune resurrecting it but thought I’d ask.

Cheers,

Dan

12 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Dannyboy82 said:

Hi,

I have a Seiko kinetic watch from the early 2000’s, like this one - https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mens-seiko-kinetic-watch-steel-541566386

It’s in a pretty sorry state and I wondered if there were any suggestions for somebody who could service and repair it.

It was actually a 21st birthday gift from my then girlfriend, now wife so I’d love to get it up and running again.

Obviously it’s not worth much so wouldn’t want to spend a fortune resurrecting it but thought I’d ask.

Cheers,

Dan

Try here 

https://kinetic-repairs.co.uk/seiko/

Hi Dan. This is all brushed, so rebrushing the bracelet is easy, a 5 quid block of garryflex will do the job. New glass maybe 20 quid, new capacitor should be about 30.  A "service" on a seiko kinetic is very rarely necessary, new capacitor and a caseback seal is simple.   For £50 you'll have this back in belting condition. 

Drop me a PM if you cant get it done on the cheap, I used to do capacitors for forum members for 25 quid and return postage, the parts are less than 20 notes, no need to pay the earth. 

On 26/09/2020 at 20:25, kevkojak said:

Hi Dan. This is all brushed, so rebrushing the bracelet is easy, a 5 quid block of garryflex will do the job. New glass maybe 20 quid, new capacitor should be about 30.  A "service" on a seiko kinetic is very rarely necessary, new capacitor and a caseback seal is simple.   For £50 you'll have this back in belting condition. 

Drop me a PM if you cant get it done on the cheap, I used to do capacitors for forum members for 25 quid and return postage, the parts are less than 20 notes, no need to pay the earth. 

Top man! I’ll drop you a PM

OThis is what I have to work with!

nXgGwAM.jpg
N98lHCy.jpg

Morning Dan.

Looks straight forward. I have a couple of kilos of spare seiko links, not sure if I have one for that exact watch but I've had both kinetic and chronograph models of that model, so theres a good chance!

Capacitor and glass I'll sort out for 50 quid including postage back to you, and if I have any links I'll chuck those in for nothing. 

Its an open offer. Have a think and if you fancy it I'll fire over my shop address and PayPal.

Would you do me a quick favour and give me the link measurements? Total diameter and the width of the gap please, I'll have a rummage this morning while I've not much on.

Cheers, kev.

Hi Kev,

That is fantastic! Providing something can be done with the bracelet, I’ll gladly send this up to you.

Re the measurements -

Lug width is 14 mm

Links are just under 20mm total width and 14mm gap. Thickness of links is 2.5mm.

Not sure if it came across in my earlier message but the bracelet as it stands is too small so would need extra links to give a longer bracelet or a complete replacement bracelet/strap.

Cheers,

Dan

25 minutes ago, Dannyboy82 said:

Hi Kev,

That is fantastic! Providing something can be done with the bracelet, I’ll gladly send this up to you.

Re the measurements -

Lug width is 14 mm

Links are just under 20mm total width and 14mm gap. Thickness of links is 2.5mm.

Not sure if it came across in my earlier message but the bracelet as it stands is too small so would need extra links to give a longer bracelet or a complete replacement bracelet/strap.

Cheers,

Dan

Quick dig through my spare links for links with a wide centre, I haven't found that exact link, but I think I have a candidate (20mm wide, 14mm opening) from a different Kinetic.

Pics below

I'll PM you, if you want to send me the watch I'll try and get a link to fit and if not I'll just return it as it is.

Cheers. Kev

DSC04394.jpg

DSC04395.jpg

DSC04396.jpg

Edited by kevkojak

On 22/10/2020 at 20:17, kevkojak said:

New glass, new capacitor and an hour with a set of three Garryflex blocks, job done. 

If anyone wants capacitors doing then drop me a line, I've always got a drawer full, I still buy tons of kinetics and Solars. 

Hi i have a seiko 200 divers kenetic watch bought in 2001 not worn much needs new capacitor i think its a 5m could you change this for me Graham