• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Watch weights (eg Black Bay Fifty-Eight)

I recently bought my first mechanical watch - a Seiko Prospex SPB149J1. One thing that surprised me, as I had not considered it before, was how heavy it was - 168g with the steel bracelet. For someone who was used to wearing smallish digital watches, the weight of the Seiko was a bit of a shock. I have got the weight down to a more acceptable 98g using a NATO strap, and generally I am happy with the watch. However I am now wary of buying any watch that might be too heavy for me.

Watch retailers usually give a lot of information about watch dimensions, except for the weight. Christopher Ward is an exception. Lately I have been trying to find out the weight of the Tudor BB 58. I believe with the bracelet it is about 129g, but I have not been able to find out the weight with a strap, or just the case weight, to which I can add the known weight of a NATO strap. 

Do any of you have similar concerns? When I see the size of some the current 42mm watches I wonder whether some people are walking around with bricks hanging off their wrists. 

I see what you mean, but for me it is all about the watch design. 

What I mean by this is that you can get a heavy watch that has a great lug to lug, and is on a good bracelet so that it feels heavy in the the hand, but not on the wrist.

A well 'designed heavy' watch with a great bracelet disappears on the wrist.

p.s. I bought this 'brick' because it is just about the oddest watch I have ever seen, the benefit is that if I wear it is like wrist weights so I can loose some extra pounds. It is about the same weight as wearing a dog or small child on your wrist. :biggrin:

0a3861b1a702900f07bc5b24899a7dd7.jpg

• Haha 2

I find I get used to a watch after a day or two whatever the weight, in fact I quite like the feel of a heavy watch! But you are correct not all manufacturers disclose the weight, you can usually find weights in watch reviews.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, BondandBigM said:

It’s something I do think about as I like a watch with a bit of weight to it. I can’t remember what but I tried a titanium watch once, possibly a Corum, it just felt cheap even though it was far from it.

50352755678_0b1e6c99e8_m.jpg

It always comes as a bit of a shock when I fasten the Aerospace on my wrist, weighs next to nothing, about 50g on a bracelet!

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, JoT said:

I find I get used to a watch after a day or two whatever the weight, in fact I quite like the feel of a heavy watch! But you are correct not all manufacturers disclose the weight, you can usually find weights in watch reviews.

I have found it rare for a review to mention the weight, same as retailers. I assume watch enthusiasts are used to the relatively heavy weight and I don’t give it a second thought. A quick email to the retailer or manufacturer often gets the info though. 

Wow...the height on that first one is amazing! I think the height adds to the feeling of the weight, because it will have a higher centre of balance.  Congrats to you pulling that off. Isn’t it great how we all like different things? I quite like the fat face and Timex dials though. A lot of detail there to admire. 

• Thanks 1