Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

I've just watched Watchfinder's latest video on the Lange 1815 Tourbillon Handwerkkunst.

I'm a fan of their videos...or at least I have been.  This video is full of detail, great photography and narration, gushing appreciation and acclaim for the watch, of which only 30 have been made (so actually a limited edition).

Actually too gushing.

And this is the thing; the longer I listened, the less interested I became - the more overflowing the torrent of praise, the less I cared - until by the end, I felt I wouldn't want one if it were simply given to me.

It was almost as if in the 10:01 length of the video I had gone from a WIS to a won't.

By why? Was it because this was yet another watch I have absolutely no hope of every even having the choice to buy? Was it because I was feeling rather bored before even starting to watch it? Or...and I say this in hushed tones...was it because I'm suddenly finding these over-engineered, just-because-we-can, watches an anathema to me in a way they never were?

If so, why?

Psychology works in mysterious ways to me sometimes, but I'm genuinely puzzled by my reaction.  Anyone else ever felt this?

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Or...and I say this in hushed tones...was it because I'm suddenly finding these over-engineered, just-because-we-can, watches an anathema to me in a way they never were?

Fascinating question and an interesting topic. Looking at some of the polls published in the last day or two by @scottswatches I find myself experiencing exactly that. It’s all incredibly clever, and often very beautiful, but does it answer the fundamental question of whether or not I could strap it to my wrist, find appropriate places and occasions to wear it, and actually tell the bloody time at a glance!

Good post. You are not alone.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say it’s a mix, your subconscious will intervene, based on there only being 15 you know before they tell you the price ITS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE, also dependant on our mood we want to rebel, so someone gushing will have a negative and opposite intended response. 

Its interesting that by your own admission you enjoy the videos but turned off to this one part way through, what overall mood were you during the day?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RTM Boy said:

I've just watched Watchfinder's latest video on the Lange 1815 Tourbillon Handwerkkunst.

I'm a fan of their videos...or at least I have been.  This video is full of detail, great photography and narration, gushing appreciation and acclaim for the watch, of which only 30 have been made (so actually a limited edition).

Actually too gushing.

And this is the thing; the longer I listened, the less interested I became - the more overflowing the torrent of praise, the less I cared - until by the end, I felt I wouldn't want one if it were simply given to me.

It was almost as if in the 10:01 length of the video I had gone from a WIS to a won't.

By why? Was it because this was yet another watch I have absolutely no hope of every even having the choice to buy? Was it because I was feeling rather bored before even starting to watch it? Or...and I say this in hushed tones...was it because I'm suddenly finding these over-engineered, just-because-we-can, watches an anathema to me in a way they never were?

If so, why?

Psychology works in mysterious ways to me sometimes, but I'm genuinely puzzled by my reaction.  Anyone else ever felt this?

 

Great post .... yes I totally get you .... and have had this sentiment often. Covid has radically altered my life patterns in all sorts of areas, and with watches I have increasing had the "can't be ar5ed with that" vibe.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I bought a Gucci, a Longines, a WW2 pocket watch, three Omega's and some others but I spent time doing a gentle restoration on a pin pallet, chrome Elco because it appealed to me.  I won't make any money on it, as it is worth at max a tank of petrol, but it is still an attractive watch to me.

I don't like over produced watch videos, hence I never have a script (so sometimes get things wrong!) and aim for 90 seconds.  If I gush a bit it is because I really like something and want to share that. 

I can really appreciate the work that goes into some of the ultra high end pieces, but if they get the basics wrong like making it difficult to tell the time then I wouldn't buy one

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I admire the engineering which goes into some of these limited edition pieces but for the most part their aesthetic features don't appeal to me at all.

I watch the videos as well and they often elicit similar feelings to @RTM Boy

If money was no object would I buy one? Generally no - but I would consider something like this

AP Minute Repeater Supersonnerie at SF295,000

apcoderepeat1.thumb.jpg.5dfb1df5d3ea61890c70f0ba87a8c3e1.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I would say it’s a mix, your subconscious will intervene, based on there only being 15 you know before they tell you the price ITS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE, also dependant on our mood we want to rebel, so someone gushing will have a negative and opposite intended response. 

Its interesting that by your own admission you enjoy the videos but turned off to this one part way through, what overall mood were you during the day?

TBH I'm a bit demotivated ATM and it seems to have got worse as this week has gone on. Work is dead and I've pretty much (although not entirely) run out of things to fix, repair, do-up, etc., which maybe makes me watch more videos and podcasts and I think the more you watch/listen the less interesting they can become if the style and content is similar each time.

I think you're right about the price; perhaps that in itself makes it irrelevant subconsciously.  But going on and on and on about how every micro-millimeter of the Lange was carved and polished by hand by saintly pixies over many years using tools made from gold, frankincense and myrrh, in the mythical Kingdom of Saxony or whatever, really got on my **** in a way it would never have done in the past because all horology is interesting.

@scottswatches alluded to the design being a factor and actually that is true because brown and gold is really not my thing at all.

Thanks for all you comments everyone - I was worrying it was just me :thumbsup:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if in some small areas the watch has got lost, it becomes about the most expensive and aimed at those that must have the most exclusive, the number of people with that kind of money has grown over the last 20 years but that increases those that would pay anything because it’s the most exclusive, or to have some bobby billionaire can’t get that have Bruce billionaire has so these perceived high end very limited pieces will always sell in the right arena and expect most don’t even see the light of day after. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I wonder if in some small areas the watch has got lost, it becomes about the most expensive and aimed at those that must have the most exclusive, the number of people with that kind of money has grown over the last 20 years but that increases those that would pay anything because it’s the most exclusive, or to have some bobby billionaire can’t get that have Bruce billionaire has so these perceived high end very limited pieces will always sell in the right arena and expect most don’t even see the light of day after. 

Interesting point. Perhaps these watches aren't about horology at all anymore.  Perhaps they really are just about showing off; I have something you can't have.

Where's the enjoyment in that?  Watches are there to be worn, surely?

As far as I can see, if I were fortunate enough to become a billionaire (I don't know what effect that would have on my mindset, but let's go with it), I'm not the kind of person who would feel the need to smugly stash away a watch that only I (and a handful of others) could afford. In other words, as @AVO asked, could I strap it to my wrist?  In the case of the Lange, the answer for me would be a resounding "no".

And perhaps there's a certain smugness about the manufacturer, whoever it is, that makes something so exquisite, so exclusive, so expensive, that its primary function ceases to be relevant at all? Then, it's really just an empty piece of jewellery, surely?

I overthinking this, aren't I ? :laugh:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RTM Boy said:

Interesting point. Perhaps these watches aren't about horology at all anymore.  Perhaps they really are just about showing off; I have something you can't have.

Where's the enjoyment in that?  Watches are there to be worn, surely?

As far as I can see, if I were fortunate enough to become a billionaire (I don't know what effect that would have on my mindset, but let's go with it), I'm not the kind of person who would feel the need to smugly stash away a watch that only I (and a handful of others) could afford. In other words, as @AVO asked, could I strap it to my wrist?  In the case of the Lange, the answer for me would be a resounding "no".

And perhaps there's a certain smugness about the manufacturer, whoever it is, that makes something so exquisite, so exclusive, so expensive, that its primary function ceases to be relevant at all? Then, it's really just an empty piece of jewellery, surely?

I overthinking this, aren't I ? :laugh:

Not really, I think the impact of Covid in terms of a complete break in routine and normal day to day have affected people differently but added a level of reflection to nearly all, surely any collecting is also about sharing and the fun in searching and sourcing that must have to add to the collection then for some to change straps to achieve a different look. It is deep but your absolutely right when it’s gets about exclusivity at that level it has no meaning unless you are in that position where it’s everything, that would be about 0.1 of the population I expect. On the bright side as long as you wake up in the morning it’s a good day 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe it is about showing off, as a generalisation the fabulously wealthy who can afford the type of timepieces we are discussing don't need to show off. For example the the AP Minute Repeater Supersonnerie at SF295,000 would not be recognisable as a watch of that value to all except very knowledgeable aficionados. If I was a multi-millionaire I would buy one and post it once a week in the WRUW thread :laugh: 

 

apcoderepeat1.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m a complete cynic when it comes to this, I rarely watch anything like that other than maybe the very occasional link off of some watch sites I follow on Twitter. 

Where do they get those made of unobtainium watches from so in my mind they are probably in some way or another paid to spout their bull and I can’t believe that any serious purchaser would even bother to watch them.

I reminds of all those people on breakfast telly punting the latest best thing since sliced bread or the latest fashion that you never see anybody wearing or using. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

I’m a complete cynic when it comes to this, I rarely watch anything like that other than maybe the very occasional link off of some watch sites I follow on Twitter. 

Where do they get those made of unobtainium watches from so in my mind they are probably in some way or another paid to spout their bull and I can’t believe that any serious purchaser would even bother to watch them.

I reminds of all those people on breakfast telly punting the latest best thing since sliced bread or the latest fashion that you never see anybody wearing or using. 

It boils down to numbers sold, which will be low volume, its like a watch botherers equivalent of Clarkson and the girls when they did Top Gear, oozing with over played enthusiasm about cars most of us will never see, let alone own.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like watchfinders videos, I think the narrators voice sounds a bit like Alan Davies, a very particular if subtle pronunciation from the London/Essex border.

They are simple and enthusiastic and if I like the watch they are interesting.   Lange however is something I feel like I should want but actually feel pretty emotionally disconnected from.  

There should be balance in all things, its a fine line between "timeless elegance" and "vulgar opulance"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...