• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Does anybody else have problems cutting a new stem to length?

I fit the stem, mark where it needs cutting, erring on the side of caution, and snip. Then I refit and as expected it needs a bit more off, so I mark it and cut and AAAARGH.....it's too short!

The number of times I've done it I've lost track.

Screw the crown on the stem as it is long. Assemble the watch and use Vernier caliper to measure the distance between the case and crown. Then take the stem out and unscrew the crown, measure the entire length of the stem. Subtract he measured distance from this length and this is the new desired length. Cut the stem little longer and trim it to exact length by grinding, I usually use drehmel for that.

The stem is a little shorter? No problem, put  short pieces of copper wire on the bottom of the hole of crown until correct length is reached. If the copper gets too much, then don’t shorten the stem again, but drill the copper a little…

11 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

Screw the crown on the stem as it is long. Assemble the watch and use Vernier caliper to measure the distance between the case and crown. Then take the stem out and unscrew the crown, measure the entire length of the stem. Subtract he measured distance from this length and this is the new desired length. Cut the stem little longer and trim it to exact length by grinding, I usually use drehmel for that.

The stem is a little shorter? No problem, put  short pieces of copper wire on the bottom of the hole of crown until correct length is reached. If the copper gets too much, then don’t shorten the stem again, but drill the copper a little…

As above is the way to do it , without the hit and miss guesswork, there is a step by step walkthrough on the watch repair forum 

14 hours ago, nevenbekriev said:

Yes that's what I normally do. I guess I just need to take more care.