• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Can watches be too similar, and if so ...

... do you bin one?

If I didn't have the Shinola I would think the Citizen was great.  As it is, I like it, but

side by side it strikes me as the poor relation.  The lugs are wider but the case is smaller ... The hands could do with an extra millimetre ...

IMG_20200918_223947966(1).thumb.jpg.bb55be9de4dcac6113f7f204ef7edcd6.jpg

Maybe I should just keep them socially distanced so I don't compare them!

Saving for a black dial diver right now, I think something may have to go.

Would you flip one on the basis they pretty much do the same job? I never use the chronograph, nor do I care what time it is in Adelaide or Aukland, so the complications are moot!

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Daveyboyz I am of a similar mind. I used to have a lot of very similar, slightly dressy watches but have been trying to downsize and re-organise the collection, particularly with a view to creating g

Get rid of both 

I checked the 'no riff-raff' box.

Posted Images

Oooooo, difficult one...

Prefer the Shinola but the date window is  very small.

The citizen looks modern and the Shinola classic. 

I think in my non expert opinion keep both, or lose the Citizen as you don’t seem as taken by it, and if you don’t need the chrono or need to know the time in Adelaide then cash it in. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

cash it in. 

I am thinking the same, I was picking a watch out for low light, and I usually end up between these 2, and the Shinola always wins.  And  I'm not often concerned what date it is at night either!

But GPS time ...

Maybe I put it on the bay, priced  top side, and see if it goes.

• Like 1

The date window on the Shinola would drive me crazy :crazy5vh:

And the Citizen is a satellite wave, which I like alot.

So...IMHO the only good reason for flipping is if you just don't wear something for quite some time. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

@Daveyboyz I am of a similar mind. I used to have a lot of very similar, slightly dressy watches but have been trying to downsize and re-organise the collection, particularly with a view to creating greater diversity. I still keep a few vintages which are, in the way of vintage watches, fairly similar. However, what you see below is my so-called Modern Box.

AB94BC08-8705-4434-B6F1-13DE09F3FE1C.thumb.jpeg.aa946b1c9d3f99df14923adf1fee87ad.jpeg

The front row contains the four watches I wear most frequently. I am pleased with the balance and diversity here. The CW Trident diver is a nice simple watch to wear at any time and it’s particularly good on the bracelet in summer. The Meistersinger was bought specifically for holidays and as my retirement present to self, and I’m wearing it rather a lot at the moment on days when I don’t need to be too specific about the time. The Speedmaster is something of a go to watch, and it also gets worn rather a lot. The Tank is the one I reach for when I’m suited and booted, so to speak, but it’s also a watch that works quite well with casual attire. All very different, I think you will agree.

The two CW motorsport chronographs are great fun and get an occasional day out; they are sufficiently different in appearance, I think. The blue Mako tends to get worn as a beater these days; if I’m off hiking or doing gardening and other jobs it tends to get worn. I keep the gold Malvern because it’s the original CW and because it makes a nice change, particularly during the winter months when I’m more likely to wear watches on a leather strap.

So, in response to the OP, if it bothers you then you probably need to let one go. I wouldn’t have any strong views on which one to keep, though I might tend to lean towards the Shinola.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Apart from being black, I don’t think they are similar at all. Different functions, different size & different looks...... apart from being black.

Keep both (I would) get the diver and enjoy them all :thumbsup:

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Nick67+1 said:

Same here, I get put off purchasing anything which is too similar to one I already own. 

Yeah, I really only bought the GPS wave because I let my atomic watch go, fancied a GPS when they were first out, and this was a steal on the bay.  OK so the day/date was four days out :laugh: but after a day spent reading the manual I figured it out.  If time is money I really paid over the odds!  I think my curiosity is satisfied now.

19 hours ago, RTM Boy said:

The date window on the Shinola would drive me crazy :crazy5vh:

No way!  After my Nixon, and my ETA/DD big date (which I can actually read), this is my favourite date.  It's a podium finish all day long .. :yes:

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Caller. said:

I couldn't live with the Shinola as for me, the movement is too small, affecting the balance of the dial. So in that respect, I'd stick with the Citizen.

I know what you mean, a millimetre or so nearer the edge and 1.5mm lower, then the registers would not eat into the numerals either, but I am ok with that compromise given how much I like the rest of it, the legibility and the comfy heft.  However, registers too close together is the reason I crossed some of the larger Cal 36 Tags off my wish list.  Less likely to compromise at that price point!

download.thumb.png.efc404bd7f320ec7ca01ca44dcb563d5.png

38mm Monza does the Cal 36 much better I think.

16 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

Well the unthinkable has happened, the Shinola is on the bay,

IMG_20200921_101042002(1)(1).thumb.jpg.068d474461529925a9695071ec8f37db.jpg

And the Citizen has new boots ready to go munging around on the hill.

Left wrist ...

IMG_20200921_114037425(1).thumb.jpg.f98bb41db407685d8941b457b43ce72d.jpg

IMG_20200921_114048769(1).thumb.jpg.00da209f97ba28dc1028886125d5480f.jpg

right wrist ...

119175805_317678035970107_367201458188468944_o.thumb.jpg.b6c84c68d0fddea25946adb0f89aba00.jpg

Maybe the Nixon needs to go too ...

How funny is that I saw one come up this morning and chuckled to myself wondering if it was yours.... yes I’m sad

• Like 1
On 19/09/2020 at 16:43, Hayballs said:

Apart from being black, I don’t think they are similar at all. Different functions, different size & different looks...... apart from being black.

Agrees - they look quite different.

• Thanks 1
On 19/09/2020 at 16:43, Hayballs said:

I know what you mean, but they kind of do the same job for me, when I need a low light watch.  I do like the Shinola as it wears very comfortable for a bigger watch, I'll just see if it sells, it's not a fire sale.  Although I do have a thing that if I wonder about selling a watch I put it for sale, as most of them I wouldn't dream of selling!

• Like 1