• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Home made router table.

Following on from the drill press table, I spent this week making a router table. Due to the limited space in my garage workshop, I needed something that wouldn't take up much space when not in use, so opted to make this table to the KISS principle (keep it super simple). It's basically just a sheet of 19mm WBP ply with an 8mm acrylic plate to support the router let into the top. It will sit on top of my stools when I need to use it, and can be stored against the wall when not in use. No fancy lift mechanism, either... to adjust it, you just lift it out and adjust as normal. If I was going to be using this on a daily basis, I might have made it more complicated, but for the odd, once every 'now and then' use, this is fine.

Starting with a piece 790mm x 380mm taken from this offcut of 19mm WBP (weather and boil proof) ply and a piece of 8mm acrylic cut from this old display cabinet door...
Router table.

Router table.

I cut a piece of acrylic 280mm x 160mm and drilled and counterbored the two fixing holes to fix it to the router base. Once I was able to fix it, I plunged a 6mm bit through the centre as a guide for the hole saw. The masking tape is so I can draw and see my marking out, and helps to stop chipping.
Router table.

Here's the plate fixed to the router base (Router is a Trend T5e).
Router table.

The biggest bit I have at the moment, is this chamfer cutter. I fitted it and plunged it through the hole so it fits perfectly. If I ever need a bigger cutter, I'll have to enlarge the hole, but most will be smaller.
Router table.

Next, I fitted strips of 6mm MDF to the table top with double sided carpet tape to rout the 8mm deep recess in the surface. I used a 15mm guide bush and a 12mm straight cutter in the router.
Router table.

After squaring the corners with a chisel, it fits a treat!
Router table.

Router table.

Router table.

The fence was made by gluing two pieces of 19mm ply (500 x 90 x 90) together at right angles and adding triangular gussets for strength. The centre two have a 6mm MDF cover over them to accept the extractor hose. Fabrication of this is fairly basic.
Router table.

Router table.

Here you can see that I made the out table longer, as a support for longer pieces.
Router table.

T tracks for the fence fitted.
Router table.

Although the likely hood of the 19mm ply bending is slight, I did add a couple of 50 x 25 rails along each edge to stiffen it. Here you see the table as it will be used.
Router table.

A couple of test pieces...first a dado. I set the depth of cut in the usual way, then drop the router into the table, square the fence to the required distance and do the cut.
Router table.

Router table.

Router table.

Secondly, I tried a bearing guided cutter.
Router table.

Router table.

Finally, I was a bit concerned that the router is only fixed to the plate with two, short screws...most routers seem to have 4. I was going to fit a toggle clamp under the table but realised it might push the plate up slightly as it isn't fixed. In the end, I made and fitted two small brackets that the edge of the router base sits on. These just give it an extra bit of support.
Router table.

Router table.

Router table.

Now that's done, it's on to the circle cutting jig. That's this weeks project!

• Like 3

Only just seeing this post, (I've followed the sub forum in notifications now to catch future posts.)

I like the fact it's portable, can be stashed away and used outside. Even with extraction I've found they can cover the garage in dust in seconds!

Any problems with the acrylic melting whilst hole sawing?

• Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Darren 66 said:

Router table.

I recently purchased those very work horses, amazingly sturdy and fold down to easily fit inside a vehicle.

My intention is to make them the legs of a woodworking table that can be packed away in the garage when not in use!

That's exactly the reason I bought them, too. I've got a pair of hand made wooden ones that I used for years at work, but unfortunately, they don't fold up and they would take up too much room in my garage. The Toughbuilt 700s fold up small, are height adjustable and with the addition of a couple of 4" x 2"s or even 4" x 4"s can be made into a site table.
Workshop.

18 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

That's exactly the reason I bought them, too. I've got a pair of hand made wooden ones that I used for years at work, but unfortunately, they don't fold up and they would take up too much room in my garage. The Toughbuilt 700s fold up small, are height adjustable and with the addition of a couple of 4" x 2"s or even 4" x 4"s can be made into a site table.
Workshop.

When I was looking at building a woodwork table I watched a couple of videos, the general consensus is that you really need a table of two heights, one at the top of the hips/waist area for cutting/drilling/planing etc. and one slightly lower or higher (I cant remember) for assembly work as you need to be in a slightly different position for each different type of work.

These adjust up and down so easily and are rock steady with just 2x4's in the jaws to make a bench top, well worth the money in my opinion, I sit at a desk all day so don't really need them regularly, unless of course I make a desk out of them!

• Like 1