• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

So for me Iwc has been a true love story from the day I really started to be fascinated buy mechanic luxury watches! It is something special about IWC..... Rolex is something for it self, but for me IWC is ranked higher. I feel IWC is for us that are very particular off whats on your wrist, and Rolex is more of an status symbol!

What do people in general think?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I soooooo want to flaunt today so I am going to wear a Rolex, I want to make a statement even though I clearly don't know what I like. Let's see, how about a 1960 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date? Tha

Why would I want to impress anyone?

I had one of these Ingenieurs, a very fine watch which had evolved from the classic Gerald Genta designed Ingenieur of the 1970's, it also had an in-house movement. IWC abandoned this concept and roll

IWC is the more niche collectors choice, but the Rolex will always be a Rolex and easier to sell on if required.

What can let IWC down is the base movements are often a pretty standard Valjoux 7750.  If I were paying IWC money for a basic £400 cam switched and too chunky movement i would be disappointed.  I know, because I did 20 years ago.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, MrBrown said:

So for me Iwc has been a true love story from the day I really started to be fascinated buy mechanic luxury watches! It is something special about IWC..... Rolex is something for it self, but for me IWC is ranked higher. I feel IWC is for us that are very particular off whats on your wrist, and Rolex is more of an status symbol!

IWC have upped their game in terms of movements and now offer several in-house calibres - however many of their watches still use third party movements.

I also think they have lost their way somewhat with their current designs - I have never liked the Portugieser range, the Portofino range isn't up to much and the Portofino automatic could be nice if they tried harder with the dial but even so it is a lot to pay for a watch with a Sellita SW300-1 movement. The DaVinci range, again the design is not appealing, the base automatics are horrible and contain the Sellita SW300-1 movement. They have ruined the Pilot range with ugly hands, the automatics contain ETA movements while some of the chronographs do contain in-house movements many are still ETA/Valjoux. My favourite IWC used to be the Ingenieur range but sadly they have made a complete Horlicks of this range the automatic looks OK but I think I am right that it lacks the magnetic protection the old Ingenieurs were famous for (they had a soft iron faraday cage protecting the movement) and they use a Sellita movement. £4k is a lot to pay for a Sellita! The Aquatimer range has really lost its way, they had some iconic watches in the past, today's offerings are in my eyes just horrible.

Are IWC ranked higher? For you perhaps but in my opinion they are just lacking something at present, I have owned IWC's in the past, and would consider a pre-owned older model but not the new ones, 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Dangerous question. Getting a bunch of watch enthusiasts to rank entire brands is a bit like herding cats, and will inevitably provoke sweeping generalisations...e.g Rolex being about status symbols.

As it happens I don’t have an example of either, so am not in a position to compare.

There are other brands to which I feel more connected.

But I do think the original question is interesting if a little simplistic. Google up those watch brand pyramids and you will see these two brands, and several like them, in a range of sections and positions. It’s all a little subjective.

Just now, MrBrown said:

Thats true, but IWC also produces in-house calibers but unless they specifically say that it is an in-house movement, you can bet that it is something else such as ETA (i.e the famous Valjoux movement) or Sellita made it (for the most part). I dont feel there is anything wrong with using ébauche calibers. After all most watchmakers do…but a certain amount of prestige is attributed to watchmakers that can do everything in-house. So that In mind when I made this post was the Iwc with theire on movements and not the third parties(i should have been more clear) after all you can buy an hamilton with the same layout and movement! 

But for me(own both Rolex and Iwc) feel like if you want to impress your average layman, wear a Rolex but IWC is a watch to wear to impress a watchmaker or serious collector. The difference is not only seen in the brand positioning and marketing efforts of both brands but also in the public’s perception of each brand. Rolex pushes its brand aggressively and with many impressive ads that promulgate a desirable and often attainable item to the average person. You can see this in the very publications where their ads are placed. Their target demographic is basically everywhere. Doing this creates this desire in the public eye for something expensive and gives one the illusion of success if they manage to purchase one. Well done btw, but I think it is more of what I like than what the public likes! Rolex is ranked as Number 1 watchbrand in the world and will be that for a very long time, it is like woman or cars we have different types

RESALE

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

But for me(own both Rolex and Iwc) feel like if you want to impress your average layman, wear a Rolex but IWC is a watch to wear to impress a watchmaker or serious collector. The difference is not only seen in the brand positioning and marketing efforts of both brands but also in the public’s perception of each brand. Rolex pushes its brand aggressively and with many impressive ads that promulgate a desirable and often attainable item to the average person. You can see this in the very publications where their ads are placed. Their target demographic is basically everywhere. Doing this creates this desire in the public eye for something expensive and gives one the illusion of success if they manage to purchase one. Well done btw, but I think it is more of what I like than what the public likes! Rolex is ranked as Number 1 watchbrand in the world and will be that for a very long time, it is like woman or cars we have different types

RESALE

:laugh: I wish I had a pound for every time these tropes had been wheeled out on the forum and nice of you to clarify that you are only referring to the in-house calibre IWC watches and not their expensive ebauche hosting watches! 

4493080802_d5d0f9e697_b.jpg

I had one of these Ingenieurs, a very fine watch which had evolved from the classic Gerald Genta designed Ingenieur of the 1970's, it also had an in-house movement. IWC abandoned this concept and rolled out a very bland range of new Ingenieur watches with Sellita movements, is that the action of a superior watchmaker? The reason I no longer have this watch is that it had a bracelet clasp which wasn't very secure for the weight of the watch, it had the unnerving habit of springing open, a design fault which I doubt Rolex would have made.

• Like 5

Why is Rolex always used as a benchmark in these types of discussions ? Quite often company "x" will be quoted as "going to be giving Rolex a run for their money" but it doesn't happen, because they never have the matchmaking clout, or a business model to match.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WRENCH said:

Why is Rolex always used as a benchmark in these types of discussions ? Quite often company "x" will be quoted as "going to be giving Rolex a run for their money" but it doesn't happen, because they never have the matchmaking clout, or a business model to match.

Because they are the biggest watch brand in the industry, it is just normal to compare with them and have thougths

10 minutes ago, JoT said:

4493080802_d5d0f9e697_b.jpg

I had one of these Ingenieurs, a very fine watch which had evolved from the classic Gerald Genta designed Ingenieur of the 1970's, it also had an in-house movement. IWC abandoned this concept and rolled out a very bland range of new Ingenieur watches with Sellita movements, is that the action of a superior watchmaker? The reason I no longer have this watch is that it had a bracelet clasp which wasn't very secure for the weight of the watch, it had the unnerving habit of springing open, a design fault which I doubt Rolex would have made.

It is beautiful, but I agree it is a shame the came out with Sellita movements! 

For myself im in love with the top gun serie, what do you think about IW379901? 

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Because they are the biggest watch brand in the industry

I would say since Mercedes Gleitze swam the channel in 1927 and Rolex bought the front page of the Daily Mail, they have been the most successful watch brand in marketing their product, which is why just about everyone knows the name. Some might recognise the Richemont group as handbag manufacturers, I wonder how many non WIS would know what IWC stands for. Regardless of quality of product, and I'm knocking neither, it's marketing.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I would say since Mercedes Gleitze swam the channel in 1927 and Rolex bought the front page of the Daily Mail, they have been the most successful watch brand in marketing their product, which is why just about everyone knows the name. Some might recognise the Richemont group as handbag manufacturers, I wonder how many non WIS would know what IWC stands for. Regardless of quality of product, and I'm knocking neither, it's marketing.

There you go, thank you for youre input/knowledge, i didnt know that

1 hour ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

This was not a great post for me, I commented which was removed and I got a warning :baby:

See some things shouldn’t be discussed  as they cause controversy religion, politics and Rolex :rolleyes:

What happened?

4 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

There you go, thank you for youre input/knowledge, i didnt know that

What happened?

Don’t think I’m allowed to say, in short I made a sweeping statement related to some Rolex wearers, which I now accept to be wrong and will be attending a Rolex Awareness Course. 

I think the issue with any branding and more so luxury goods they get labelled, look at Porsche in the 1980,s and the association with what type of people bought them at that time. No one can argue and rightly or wrongly by most Rolex is seen as The Watch brand, the one to have in your collection but it doesn’t mean we all like them, so we as humans formulate personal opinions on brands and they can change but with any brand you then feel part of a club, the more exclusive the better you feel. 

take someone with huge amounts of money and love watches but would never buy a Rolex, why, their view of the brand,  not saying it’s wrong at all but comparing any brand will always spark a fierce debate, I perhaps went a little far, I say a little as I didn’t see it as that bad but I have to respect the forum and rules so have to accept my punishment. 

I now feel like a rebel without a cause :crazy5vh:

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Iam just saying alot of people buy Rolex to flaunt, not everybody! People tend to buy Rolex as an statement, if you buy an IWC, A. Lange & Söhne or vacheron

You know what you like and have a good knowledge/taste in my opinion

I love rolex but as an toolwatch

I soooooo want to flaunt today so I am going to wear a Rolex, I want to make a statement even though I clearly don't know what I like.

Let's see, how about a 1960 Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date? That's really flaunty don't you think @MrBrown ?

Sadly for your theory men tend to look at my 34C cups not my watch

p.s. I also own Seiko, Poljot, Casio, Omega, Hamilton, Tressa, West End Watch Co, Tudor and CWC but obviously I only wear these when I don't want to flaunt 

large.IMAG1814.jpg.4fd08ad25ea46a1d3e8bd623eae9d16a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4