• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Treating myself to a new watch - and risk of buying online?

On 02/10/2020 at 15:58, mitadoc said:

These are sick, however I wouldn`t choose the Certina due to the inferior movement.

Have you considered Doxa Sub300t?

1329_Doxa-SUB-300T-Conquistador_Range-of

Why do you say that bud? Is it the talk of the synthetic parts? I'm not arguing, just curious. The mvt is based on an Eta which, AIUI, is in itself quite respectable. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Long thread. Lots of pics. I'm in the mood to treat myself to another watch. But apart from the obvious issue of what I really do want v what I can really afford, another problem is the watches I

I wouldn't worry about it Nigel, I'm the same with threads about cars.

@scottswatches @sabailand Thanks guys, I will let you know how I get on.

1 hour ago, Watch-and-C said:

Why do you say that bud? Is it the talk of the synthetic parts? I'm not arguing, just curious. The mvt is based on an Eta which, AIUI, is in itself quite respectable. 

The high-tech escapement has no regulator; the rate is set at the factory with a laser, making the manual rate adjustments normally required by a mechanical watch unnecessary.

https://watch-insider.com/news/tissot-powermatic-80-automatic-caliber-ushering-era-ultra-precise-low-cost-mechanical-movements/

• Thanks 1
On 25/09/2020 at 13:57, Caller. said:

Long thread. Lots of pics.

I'm in the mood to treat myself to another watch. But apart from the obvious issue of what I really do want v what I can really afford, another problem is the watches I fancy that aren't available to buy in Thailand. In the past, I have had reasonable success with buying on-line. Initially in the UK, where I bought from within the UK and from Switzerland without any problems and then when I was in Thailand. The first was a cheap Seiko 5 from Singapore - this one in fact (I have no idea of the reference No.):

IMG-2395-1.jpg

This should have been an absolute banker for me - it's blue, a good size, bracelet, very legible and so on. But I just didn't bond with it and within 4/5 months, I moved it on, whilst on a trip to the UK, via this very forum. My next - and last - online purchase, a CW Trident Vintage, purchased in December 2015, went very smoothly and is still with me and still get's it share of wear:

IMG-0129-013.jpg

Now, because of covid, possible delays, watches never arriving and so on (a lot of very poor people in Thailand right now), I am a little wary of buying on-line. But more on that later.

Yesterday, for the first time since leaving hospital, I went watch hunting alone and under my own steam, so to speak. I went to Siam Paragon, a high end Mall in Bangkok, which has largest selection of brands in Bangkok under one roof, all in one designated area. Everything from the nastiest fashion brand to two branded Patek stores and upwards, and much that is in-between (apart from AP and Hublot, who have their own boutiques in a nearby Mall).

I started with Chopard, who in my view, have messed up here. They used to have 2 AD's, but dropped them both and now have their own boutique instead. This is a 2nd attempt at running their own boutique here. Previously, it was in a different Mall, was watches only and they still retained the 2 AD's. Therefore, a comprehensive range of their watches was available for sale. But now they have the one store where they sell watches and jewelry and only have a limited range of watches to choose from (certainly much less than previously available).

Now I knew the watch I wanted to try was really going to be too expensive, but I am a fan of their Mille Miglia range and own the 2015 LE. I knew I was at risk of being persuaded into parting with my money. But not to worry, the 2019 Race Edition was conspicuous by it's absence, which was (maybe) a huge shame, as I think it is stunning (zoom in to check out the dial):

Chopard-Mille-Miglia-2019-Race-Edition-1

Header-MM-Classic-Racing-Ed-2019-Desktop

Now this can be bought on-line from any number of places - but could I live with the cyclops? What the hell is it doing there in the first place??? It's certainly a lot to risk spending online. But there was another model instore that interested me. The few others were the standard issue black models, but the exception was the blue dialed power reserve, the exact same model as my 2015 red dialed LE. It was wonderful and fitted like a dream: 

14407188-j0v8m686ksqi18agpwjfia6r-Extra-

Chopard-Mille-Miglia-168566-3011-2.jpg

I could easily live with a different coloured dial version of the same watch, where even the display window and detail on the reverse is exactly the same as mine. But one thing that isn't the same is the price. Now I know the value of the Swiss franc was 're-arranged' a while back, but wow, what a difference 4 years and 8 months makes! 

So onwards and upwards. I enjoyed looking and trying on some Ulysee Nardins, a GP, James Bond and a couple of Seiko's, but my next serious quest was Tag's new Carrera green dialed chrono, which looks absolutely fantastic on-line. Previously when out with Pam, whilst still struggling with walking and at different times, we ended up in two other Malls that have had good sized watch concessions, including Tag. But not anymore. Both areas where Tag were have now been taken over by Bomberg. So at Tag's large outlet in Siam Paragon, I asked about this and learnt that Tag have closed several outlets in Bangkok, leaving them with just three - where I was currently and at two other Malls, neither in tourist areas. Certainly a reflection of the times. As an aside, I noticed that Corum no longer have an outlet in Siam.

Anyway, back to the green coloured Carrera. It goes without saying they didn't have the watch in stock - lol!, but they will have next week (allegedly)! Great, I am here for one more week before returning to Hua Hin, so will go back and check it out. If you don't know the watch I mean, here it is - green perfection for me:

download.png

CBN2-A10-BA0643-01.png

So next it was Mido. I had an interest in 3 watches here, all Ocean Star divers, but with one in particular, that I only learnt about via a comment attached to an article in an online watch magazine. Mido continue to really improve their offerings and I think they're going from strength to strength. Shame the same can't be said about their stores! Oh, they had the three watches okay, but no-one to serve me! I eventually wandered over to the Rado stall as generally, over here, these two brands, apart from both being part of the Swatch stable, are sold side by side all over Thailand. Anyway, the guy came over and did his best, but neither he nor another colleague who wandered over, knew where the assistant had gone, nor where the keys were (probably with the missing assistant) and after waiting a bit longer, I decided it was time for lunch. I can get excellent fish and chips here with, wait for it, malt vinegar! It was wonderful.

So duly refreshed, I returned and was pleased to see the Mido store fully manned. But the watch was a let down. Which of course is another issue when buying without having seen the watch first. It looks great online and does indeed have a lovely texture on the dial, but I already had a concern, as initially I thought it was a bronze or brass cased watch, but then read it was stainless steel with a rose gold PVD covering - which now seems to be the new gold plating. But I think this is a big mistake. The very light green / grey dial and bezel is a delight, but the gold coloured lettering on the dial, not the hands or markers, which are clear, were very difficult to read, as were both numerals and markers on the bezel. And while I am at it, I really do think it's about time they upgraded to ceramic bezels! I believe they should have left the case as stainless steel in my opinion. Anyway here's the watch in question:

M026-430-36-091-00.png

m026-430-36-091-00-pr-1.png

m026-430-36-091-00-pr3.jpg

The 2nd diver I really, really liked. A very attractive GMT, but at 44mm, I found it was too big. which came as a surprise, as the Chopard was nearly the same size and I have and wear other bigger watches. But different designs give different results, and whilst the watch didn't go past my wrist, the strap effectively just dropped straight down the side. The strap is leather with a fabric top. I had also failed to notice from the pics that the dial was black, not blue and that the GMT numbers were half black and blue, none of which detracted from the rather nice bulkiness of the watch. But all another worry about buying without testing first:

mido-ocean-star-gmt-m0266291705100-hp.pn

M026-629-17-051-00.png

The 3rd Mido diver I tried was also blue, 42 or 43mm and as with the first watch, a perfect fit. It's on a different bracelet to the style shown in the attached pic and also comes with a very nice lighter blue fabric top, leather underside, strap. 

mido-ocean-star-caliber80-m0264301104100

The first and 3rd Mido share the new caliber 80 movement, which obviously has a power reserve of 80 hours. It's shared with it's house stable Certina, give or take a jewel or two, in their new DS divers, of which I am rather partial to their DS PH200M, which has a rather splendid Blancpain fifty fathoms styled bezel, but in ceramic, which I think is a rather lovely thing. Sadly, there are no Certina dealers within a thousand miles of me!

dsph200m-c036-407-18-040-00-2.jpg

C036-407-18-040-00-SLD.png

mido-attribute-caliber80.jpg

certina-mouvement-new-01-04.jpg

The next watch I keep considering and saying to myself I will buy at some stage is the Damasko DA42 or 3. One has a black dial, the other white, which is fully lumed. This photo is of the watch I have actually tried on and it was only the low pound against the Thai that that stopped me buying it previously. I love the tactile nature of Damasko's unique ice hardened cases, making them probably the most scratch resistant produced anywhere and they use the same technology on their bezels. Sadly, just as I seriously reconsider it, I find it is out of stock on Damako's website and the nearest AD to me, which is Gnomon in Singapore. In some respects, Damasko remind me of Bremont - in that they are both best appreciated in the flesh. And apart from me having tried this model on, I used to own the DA36, unfortunately, I found the dial of that watch a bit bland for me, so again moved it on via here. However, it was 40 mm, which is a helpful guide when considering a Damasko alternative to the DA42.... Here's the DA42:

20170607-151824.jpg

And the alternative is something completely different! The blue dialed DS30 OBO. I have no idea what the OBO stands for, probably something to do with 'orange seconds hand', as that is how it differs to the DS30, which has a white seconds hand. The other issue with the DS30 is that it doesn't have the ice hardened Damasko case, which is a major attraction for me. It just uses submarine grade steel instead, which I guess puts it on a slight lower par with Sinn? Anyway, I love the blue dial and I think it's a fantastically simple, but effective casual watch. But there is a but - and it's a big but, as it only has a 39mm case. That's a full 1mm case size difference to what I have always regarded as my very bottom line on case size - 40mm. I wish they had an AD in Thailand! Gnomon are out of stock of this model as well, although it is available direct from Damasko!

4ba8250afe748f5e47bdb142ae36c79224873b03

DS30-Oceanblue-sekzeiger-orange-Image.jp

Finally, there is another 'and now for something completely different' moment. And that is a watch that has been discussed elsewhere on here recently but without any pics being shown. Let me explain how I do things. In my bookmarks I have a watch folder and in that folder is a sub-folder called 'Watches I desire'. This contains my number 1 grail watch and various others that for whatever reason make me drool with desire and others that I simply regard as being just fantastic. Sometimes I use it to place a watch there that I like, that I might otherwise forget about. I review what's in this forum from time to time and some watches are removed as I have bought them, or having reviewed a watch, I decide that in the clear light of day, I no longer desire it, or a watch is removed, because I know that I will never realistically get around to buying it. So apart from my grail, they are generally affordable. And sometimes, the page I have saved is no longer available and I am left wondering what the hell was there? But there are two watches that have survived the test of time and this last one is one of them.

I have always wanted a white dialed watch. I have two silver dials, but no white. The DA43 mentioned above is another and I am also pulled towards the new white dialed Bremont MB2, where you can choose the case, strap and band of your choice to go with the dial of your choice. I have had lots of fun with that. But in the background and in my folder, there has always been the Muhle Glashutte 29ER Zeigerdatum. The only question for me is will I like it as much on the wrist as I do in pics? Size wise there are no issues as it's a perfect for me 42,5. But that makes for a lot of white uncluttered dial. But will I take to it and what happens if I don't - as with all the watches bought on line. Anyway, a couple of pics:

29er-Zeigerdatum-liegend.png

1513926178-Qn95-Co-THj8-IGu-Owlt-BML.jpg

And that's where I am at the moment. I will go out again next week and try again.

The blue Damasko is favourite right now, which is why I will probably buy the Mido I have just trashed!  :whistle:

Thats an amazing piece, just love it, and thanx for the story

Im sorry and with all due respect I got bored with the narrative. Which is purely my attention span these days for first person. The watches all fine. I can understand in that compilation why the seiko failed to bond. All a bit sporty for me im a plain man. Good luck...try Grand Seiko...if you dare. 

19 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Im sorry and with all due respect I got bored with the narrative. Which is purely my attention span these days for first person. 

I wouldn't worry about it Nigel, I'm the same with threads about cars.

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Caller. said:

I'm the same with threads about cars.

You can get told off for that. Mind you, I can understand the attraction but for me they don’t hold a lot of interest. I have one, I get into it, I drive it somewhere, I park it, I get out, and then I go and do something interesting. :biggrin:

• Like 1
On 04/10/2020 at 09:13, mitadoc said:

The high-tech escapement has no regulator; the rate is set at the factory with a laser, making the manual rate adjustments normally required by a mechanical watch unnecessary.

https://watch-insider.com/news/tissot-powermatic-80-automatic-caliber-ushering-era-ultra-precise-low-cost-mechanical-movements/

Hi bud, so what's the prognosis of the mvt? Do they gradually lose accuracy? Or lose accuracy with a sharp bang or drop?

My example loses about 2.3 secs a day (8 secs after 78hrs), how long can I expect that to continue before it needs re-reglating back at HQ? 

Sorry for the questions, before I bought it I knew it contained synthetic parts but others thought they concerned the date complication. 

Thxs