• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

I seem to have bought a lathe

I've always been interested in metal work & the result of this interest is that there's now a small hobby lathe (Warco mini lathe) sitting in my garage. I'm not really sure what I'm going to make on it but Youtube has turned up some interesting ideas & so far I've made a couple of scribers & a bomb (all in brass) whilst my attempt at making a spinning top (out of copper) was not a success. I've turned brass before (years ago on a Myford lathe we used to have at work) but never copper & it turns out to be a bit of a sod - tool angle & lubrication are important apparently (aren't they always :whistle:). If you don't get either right then copper can build up on the cutting edge of the tool leading to snagging/jamming .......... I know this now :(  

The bomb was the result of me playing around with some brass hex bar - I wasn't intending to make a bomb it just seemed to come into being as a result of my random turning - it's not the best but it's the first (semi)recognisable thing I've made so I'm chuffed with it. I've since made two scribers out of brass & both have simple but satisfying to make. In my extremely limited experience brass seems to be the nicest metal to turn & you can get a very nice finish, added to the almost reddish gold finish it can show I think it's a great metal, it's also very tactile with a good weight to it. I've not tried turning steel but I'm going to have a go at making a die stock holder so that will change, I need to buy some suitable steel stock first though as I don't have anything that's a big enough diameter.

Anyway have some rubbish photos :thumbs_up:

wrUZKmO.jpg

tLY0jiA.jpg

YtC2g6g.jpg

The "bomb" alongside a bead/spacer I made - very simple to make & I may use it for one on my paracord projects :)

TbrsmfB.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 6
6 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

I've always been interested in metal work & the result of this interest is that there's now a small hobby lathe (Warco mini lathe) sitting in my garage. I'm not really sure what I'm going to make on it but Youtube has turned up some interesting ideas & so far I've made a couple of scribers & a bomb (all in brass) whilst my attempt at making a spinning top (out of copper) was not a success. I've turned brass before (years ago on a Myford lathe we used to have at work) but never copper & it turns out to be a bit of a sod - tool angle & lubrication are important apparently (aren't they always :whistle:). If you don't get either right then copper can build up on the cutting edge of the tool leading to snagging/jamming .......... I know this now :(  

The bomb was the result of me playing around with some brass hex bar - I wasn't intending to make a bomb it just seemed to come into being as a result of my random turning - it's not the best but it's the first (semi)recognisable thing I've made so I'm chuffed with it. I've since made two scribers out of brass & both have simple but satisfying to make. In my extremely limited experience brass seems to be the nicest metal to turn & you can get a very nice finish, added to the almost reddish gold finish it can show I think it's a great metal. I've not tried turning steel but I'm going to have a go at making a die stock holder so that will change, I need to buy some suitable steel stock first though as I don't have anything that's a big enough diameter.

Anyway have some rubbish photos :thumbs_up:

wrUZKmO.jpg

tLY0jiA.jpg

YtC2g6g.jpg

The "bomb" alongside a bead/spacer I made - very simple to make & I may use it for one on my paracord projects :)

TbrsmfB.jpg

If you're going to get some steel, try and get EN1a leaded.  It cuts extremely well, not particularly strong, but ideal till you get a feel for the machine.

• Like 1

Following with interest.

I got quoted a ridiculous price to turn a nylon holder for a one way valve design for my car*  It wasn't tricky, just no one wanted the job.  So I bought a second hand lathe and turned one myself.  Okay, but the time I bought more tools it did cost me more but I still have the lathe and tools to do the next job(s).

If you turn right fuel goes up the fuel filler pipe and out of the filler cap, all over the left rear wing.  Now I have fitted a one way valve, sitting in my nylon bush to keep it tight and in the right orientation, and no more fuel wasted.  It is a common issue on that model of car, now fixed

1 hour ago, scottswatches said:

Following with interest.

I got quoted a ridiculous price to turn a nylon holder for a one way valve design for my car*  It wasn't tricky, just no one wanted the job.  So I bought a second hand lathe and turned one myself.  Okay, but the time I bought more tools it did cost me more but I still have the lathe and tools to do the next job(s).

If you turn right fuel goes up the fuel filler pipe and out of the filler cap, all over the left rear wing.  Now I have fitted a one way valve, sitting in my nylon bush to keep it tight and in the right orientation, and no more fuel wasted.  It is a common issue on that model of car, now fixed

Car* ?  Just curious about the make and model. 

Alpha550t:

"For my sins, I'm a turner for a living, so if anyone needs any advice just ask".

Any advice on what sort of speed to use for certain materials, whether to lubricate or not & which tools do what would be greatly appreciated. I've used the same tool (a general facing/turning tool) for the jobs I've done so far. It seems to work well so I've stuck with it though I have had to sharpen it on the grinder a couple of times. Also any clue where to get material/metal from would be useful. I've used Metal Supermarkets in the past but I'm at work during the week & at the weekend they're only open on Saturday morning so I haven't been able to get to them yet. I won the EN1a leaded steel for the die stock holder from Ebay last night - I paid £21 for 5 bar ends/off cuts (36mm diameter by at least 100mm long- which is big enough for the die stock holder), this doesn't seem a bad price to me but I've no idea if I've paid too much or bagged a bargain.

I'm subscribed to Ade's Workshop on YouTube - his videos are pretty good & he's something of a character.

I'm also subscribed to Steve Jordan's channel - he has a mini lathe (looks similar to mine but possibly slightly larger) as well as a larger Myford &, no doubt, lots of other lovely gear. I like what he makes & like the fact that he uses cheap/recycled materials - brass fire fittings, pool/snooker balls(!), weight lifting plates & bars, curtain rails etc. He finds all this stuff cheap at recycling centres & car boot sales (though there probably aren't going to be many of them in my neck of the woods for the forseeable).

YouTube gave me the idea for the scribers which are a piece of cake to make, though no two I make will be the same. I'm planning on making a larger one for my son-in-law who's a welder & does a lot of metal work so may actually find a use for it!

So ....... I've won the steel for the die stock holder, & I've converted the plans I've been given (by my old school ex-D&T lecturer friend) from imperial to metric so that I've a better idea of the size of the thing I'm making, so that's going to be my next project - after that? Who knows? Ideas please - & I've already thought about making a watch case (utterly beyond my meagre talents & equipment .................at the moment!) :bash: :) 

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Alpha550t:

"For my sins, I'm a turner for a living, so if anyone needs any advice just ask".

Any advice on what sort of speed to use for certain materials, whether to lubricate or not & which tools do what would be greatly appreciated. I've used the same tool (a general facing/turning tool) for the jobs I've done so far. It seems to work well so I've stuck with it though I have had to sharpen it on the grinder a couple of times. Also any clue where to get material/metal from would be useful. I've used Metal Supermarkets in the past but I'm at work during the week & at the weekend they're only open on Saturday morning so I haven't been able to get to them yet. I won the EN1a leaded steel for the die stock holder from Ebay last night - I paid £21 for 5 bar ends/off cuts (36mm diameter by at least 100mm long- which is big enough for the die stock holder), this doesn't seem a bad price to me but I've no idea if I've paid too much or bagged a bargain.

I'm subscribed to Ade's Workshop on YouTube - his videos are pretty good & he's something of a character.

I'm also subscribed to Steve Jordan's channel - he has a mini lathe (looks similar to mine but possibly slightly larger) as well as a larger Myford &, no doubt, lots of other lovely gear. I like what he makes & like the fact that he uses cheap/recycled materials - brass fire fittings, pool/snooker balls(!), weight lifting plates & bars, curtain rails etc. He finds all this stuff cheap at recycling centres & car boot sales (though there probably aren't going to be many of them in my neck of the woods for the forseeable).

YouTube gave me the idea for the scribers which are a piece of cake to make, though no two I make will be the same. I'm planning on making a larger one for my son-in-law who's a welder & does a lot of metal work so may actually find a use for it!

So ....... I've won the steel for the die stock holder, & I've converted the plans I've been given (by my old school ex-D&T lecturer friend) from imperial to metric so that I've a better idea of the size of the thing I'm making, so that's going to be my next project - after that? Who knows? Ideas please - & I've already thought about making a watch case (utterly beyond my meagre talents & equipment .................at the moment!) :bash: :) 

You haven't said what type of tool, high speed steel or carbide.   Just had a quick look on ebay,  these look spot on for the price as long as 12mm section is ok for your lathe.    You could probably run at top speed and you wouldn't burn these out on steel.      At work we use steel stockholders so bar is pretty cheap.  Metalsupermarkets are ok though.    For 35mm dia. X 3 metre length, maybe 35 quid if my memory serves me. As for lubricant, use it as much as you can, its only really brass you should cut dry.large.Screenshot_20200928-091757_eBay.jpg.d0e9ea985d535fa6b189e89e747ea945.jpglarge.20200928_092157.jpg.d87491f9bd77257813affc0095bac7a0.jpg

Ade is indeed a character. Amazing what he gets done in that tiny shed of his, especially has he now owns a Mill.

I sent him a magnetic swarf wand a few months ago that he featured on one of his videos. 

Do you have any engineering firms near you? might be worth asking to rummage through their scrap bins for off-cuts.  

The tool I've been using is HSS, though the tools I've bought from Machine Mart - I've not used them yet - have tungsten carbide tips & the lathe takes tools with an 8mm shank. Anything larger I have trouble getting centred. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/6pc-cutting-tool-set-for-cl300m/

No idea about engineering companies but there is a Metal Supermarkets close by I just haven't been able to get there yet - something always crops up at the weekend so they're closed by the time I'm free :taz: 

Edited by pauluspaolo
2 hours ago, pauluspaolo said:

The tool I've been using is HSS, though the tools I've bought from Machine Mart - I've not used them yet - have tungsten carbide tips & the lathe takes tools with an 8mm shank. Anything larger I have trouble getting centred. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/6pc-cutting-tool-set-for-cl300m/

No idea about engineering companies but there is a Metal Supermarkets close by I just haven't been able to get there yet - something always crops up at the weekend so they're closed by the time I'm free :taz: 

Those tools are fine, as long as you use a silicon wheel for grinding. 

12 minutes ago, Alpha550t said:

Those tools are fine, as long as you use a silicon wheel for grinding. 

Excellent info many thanks :thumbs_up: I've no clue what sort of grinding wheel is fitted to the grinder - it seems to work fine on HSS. Given that I'm a rank amateur (as you can probably tell) & don't really know what I'm doing (as you can probably tell) I expect I'll find out what sort of grinding wheel's fitted when I try to sharpen one of the tools (which I expect I'll have to do often when I start using them)!!

Thanks again :) 

Just now, pauluspaolo said:

Excellent info many thanks :thumbs_up: I've no clue what sort of grinding wheel is fitted to the grinder - it seems to work fine on HSS. Given that I'm a rank amateur (as you can probably tell) & don't really know what I'm doing (as you can probably tell) I expect I'll find out what sort of grinding wheel's fitted when I try to sharpen one of the tools (which I expect I'll have to do often when I start using them)!!

Thanks again :) 

If its blue/grey colour its for steel.   Silicon wheels are light green.  Tipped tools will grind on a steel wheel but you won't get a clean edge, which transfers to the workpiece giving a poor finish.

Again more useful info :thumbs_up:

I have a grinder with 2 wheels, these need replacing so I may get a steel (blue/grey) one & a silicon (green) one. Any idea if I should get coarse/fine wheels?

The grinder I'm using has a blue/grey wheel fitted. This came from Aldi :whistle:a while back & is combined with a belt sander. I have to say that it's been pretty good & was actually cheaper to buy than two grinding wheels for the other one + it has a belt sander which was what I really wanted at the time. I'll dig the double grinder out & get measuring disc/spindle size.

Many thanks :) 

13 minutes ago, pauluspaolo said:

Again more useful info :thumbs_up:

I have a grinder with 2 wheels, these need replacing so I may get a steel (blue/grey) one & a silicon (green) one. Any idea if I should get coarse/fine wheels?

The grinder I'm using has a blue/grey wheel fitted. This came from Aldi :whistle:a while back & is combined with a belt sander. I have to say that it's been pretty good & was actually cheaper to buy than two grinding wheels for the other one + it has a belt sander which was what I really wanted at the time. I'll dig the double grinder out & get measuring disc/spindle size.

Many thanks :) 

I'd go for 80 grit.    You should be able to get them on ebay.   

• 2 months later...

So bit of an update on the mini-lathe & how I've been getting on with it over the last few months. To be honest I love using it & have been making various tools for it - an mt2 die stock holder for the tail stock (not finished yet), a cross drilling attachment (which, amongst other things, allows me accurately drill holes in round bar). I've subscribed to a couple of YouTube channels: Ade's Workshop & one run by a chap called Steve Jordan. Steve has a video showing how he makes trinket boxes out of pool/snooker balls & brass plumbing fittings. So with Christmas coming up I thought I'd have a go at making some of these to give away as stocking fillers. I've made 4 so far, have one in the pipeline & have destroyed 1 (ball split in half when I tried to cut corners & press in one of the brass fittings!). I've also made a couple of different styled gear lever knobs for the SS1. I've also been given my first commission. (one off knobs for a gaming pc that my friend is building up) & my friend (another Steve) has sent me plans for simple steam boiler driven static engine (in the Mamod style). This involves quite a few processes & techniques I'm not too sure about so is more of a long term project. He's local(ish) to me but we're both in tier 3 & can't visit each other :( 

Here are some photos of the converted pool balls - the gear lever knob has changed considerably since I took the photo. Have to say that I love making these (& the other things). The pool balls are made from some sort of plastic/resin (phenolic resin is mentioned online), they're easy to drill, machine, cut threads in etc but they produce a very fine dust (& lots of it!), so if anyone else decides to have a go please wear a face/dust mask. Comments welcome :thumbs_up:

DSC_0002.JPG

_20201205_164708.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the positive comments & advice :thumbsup: I have to say that I'm not sure about the coolant tank - sounds very messy & I'm not sure I need one (yet).

Anyway a couple more projects in the pipeline - a stubby screw driver with space inside to hold a few different bits. The yellow body is temporary & the bit holder/nut will probably find its way onto the black number 8 ball & will be given, along with a scriber, to my youngest step daughter as a Christmas present. She likes woodwork so may well find a use for them.

The red ball is yet another trinket box. I've made this one with a 28mm fitting though so it's got a bit more capacity than the other ones I've made up to now. It's not finished yet & still needs a bit more fettling/polishing. The photo is deceiving & it's nothing like as top heavy as it appears to be.

:)   

Red pot 28mm 01.jpg

Red pot 28mm 02.jpg

Yellow Stubby 01.jpg

Yellow stubby 02.jpg

Yellow stubby 03.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 2