• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Cartier Ronde Solo or Omega de Ville

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm biased towards the OMEGA as I have one.....& love it! The nuances & finishing Omega have achieved, particularly in the dial & hands, I find very appealing. Chose this variant

dont think i thought it was the best cartier but a very nice entry level (to some £3 k would be thought of as a luxury watch), but was my choice and  at my price & design, if i had the funds for a

Probably the Cartier, i like the Cartier tank solo and so this has probably influenced me a bit although its a dfferent shape altogether, similar sentiments to the above post, the Cartier seems to hav

Posted Images

Got to say thanks to the OP. If it hadn't been for this thread, I don't think I would ever have taken at good look at Cartier's offerings. I am genuinely surprised at how much I like some of them and in particular, their entry level prices that put some other brands to shame.

And I have a favourite. Plenty of Cartier outlets to view at in Bangkok as well, but bizarrely, their website claims there are none. Very strange. Anyway, I particularly like the blue dialed Ronde Sole De Cartier @42mm with the blue dial. Very nice.

1469627-png-scale-314-high-ronde-solo-de

• Like 1

@Caller.

That is really nice. Ref. the Cartier website not listing ADs in BKK, it's one thing they are poor at updating. The site was still showing an AD in Norwich 2 years after they lost/gave up the franchise. Sadly we don't have a Cartier AD in the county now.

And yes, I do think the entry level pieces are good value, as in the steel Ronde & Tank Solo models. I've lusted after a similar blue dial on a Santos. It's stunning!

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1

well i have had both ronde and now have the tank solos both XL size, ( both autos)prefer the tank shape & lack of 24 hr dial, but i like a roman numeral thats why i swapped.

sGR5KS5.jpg

9uEFUFi.jpg

i have 7 3/4 inch wrists for scale

not sure but think the omega is more expensive than the solos but suppose that will be model dependent ? but think you can get a solo on a barcelet which i would always recommend with any watch if available for less than a omega on a bracelet, ?, 

i defo think the movement in the omega will be better imo, but outwardley i see the cartier as good as my speedy.

deano

p.s i do like the blue dial rondo though :biggrin:

Edited by deano1956
  • Like 2

Personally I dont see the solo models as the best of Cartier, I think they were an attempt at dropping down a level or two and the aesthetics of these don't quite do it for me (favouring the classic tank or the Couger)

Cartier have re-released the Pasha, which is a tried and tested line with great history and would be my choice... on the choice between the Ronde and the Omega my vote would be with the Omega.

4 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Personally I dont see the solo models as the best of Cartier,

Probably because they are entry level models. I don't think they were ever touted as "the best". For example, the Tank Louis Cartier is a step up and, guess what, the price reflects it.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, AVO said:

Probably because they are entry level models. I don't think they were ever touted as "the best". For example, the Tank Louis Cartier is a step up and, guess what, the price reflects it.

I am not knocking them, but as you point out there's a distiction, one that is reflected in price.    For me while there is nothing wrong with either I am drawn more towards their more prestigious models.   I often read your glowing reviews of your tank solo and I congratulate you, save for a few plated must-de-Cartiers any Cartier is pretty decent.   I just feel they knocked it out of the park with a few of their models.

26 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

I am drawn more towards their more prestigious models.

As indeed who wouldn't be?

The OP didn't state any precise budget, but I suspect he is cutting his coat according to his cloth.

1 hour ago, Daveyboyz said:

Cartier have re-released the Pasha, which is a tried and tested line with great history

Santos 1904. Tank 1917. Pasha 1985.

Je dépose ma valise.

53 minutes ago, AVO said:

As indeed who wouldn't be?

The OP didn't state any precise budget, but I suspect he is cutting his coat according to his cloth.

Santos 1904. Tank 1917. Pasha 1985.

Je dépose ma valise.

The pasha was commissioned in the early 1930s, it was just after the oyster in terms of being a waterproof watch.

Cartier were exclusive at that time which is why vintage Cartier pieces are so rare...

I'm sure you know all this.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Cartier were exclusive at that time which is why vintage Cartier pieces are so rare..

Of course. As the gentleman in Armour Winston (now ceased trading, I believe) in Burlington Arcade once told me:

“Rarer than fillings in hens’ teeth, sir.”

I think we are basically on the same side here. But my contention is that any Cartier, even an entry-level model, has more wow factor than the somewhat anonymous Omega quoted above, irrespective of any disparity in overall movement quality, at which I indeed hinted.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the Pasha was originally commissioned as a one-off piece for a wealthy Maghrebi  potentate, and was not in fact part of the general issue until the 1980s.

On a purely personal level, it is one of the few Cartier designs that I’m not especially attracted to.

Edited by AVO
  • Like 1

Each to their own old bean.   As a generality I like all cartiers but the Santos and the Pasha are firm favourites of mine.

Perhaps the movements are no great shakes but the pasha is like a piece of jewellery, I particularly like my one (my second since I always regretted parting with the first) and the new models with the quick release straps and saphire backs look pretty good too.  

I half hesitated to state my preference because I thought it might seem like I am knocking the solo model but I just feel the Omega model is more of a thoroughbred.

Choosing between a Cartier and an Omega is like choosing your favourite child though... quite uncomfortable.

dont think i thought it was the best cartier but a very nice entry level (to some £3 k would be thought of as a luxury watch), but was my choice and  at my price & design, if i had the funds for a better cartier it wouild be one of theses .deano

Santos de Cartier watch Medium model, automatic, steel, interchangeable metal and leather bracelets

Santos de Cartier watch Large model, automatic, steel, interchangeable metal and leather bracelets

• Like 3

Obviously the looks are subjective, but I'd go for the Omega as the big roman numerals don't do it for me. If I were to go forba rectangular watch it would be a Reverso. 

What I can say is that the DeVille is great. Mine keeps good time, the feel and finish are superb. Aesthetically I think they have that difficult balance of looking striking without being flashy. 

2 hours ago, CB200 said:

If I were to go forba rectangular watch it would be a Reverso. 

To be fair the OP never mentioned rectangular, and an entry-level Reverso is getting on for double the budget indicated by the choices he outlined.