• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

So this is my workshop/man cave. Basically it's one wall (well two walls if I'm being honest - well 3 walls if I'm being really honest) of a double garage. The back wall has racking with tools/stuff & boxes of tools/stuff, while the left hand wall (opposite the pictured work area) has yet more stuff including non-workshop related stuff such as a barbecue, rolls of underlay, surplus tiles etc etc etc. Out of shot is my modified Reliant SS1. The Reliant was rebuilt in the garage but was completed (I use the term loosely) some time before the workshop area developed into what it is now. I despair over the amount of STUFF I've got but I do periodically have a clearout. Inevitably, though, something comes along to fill the recently vacated space.

Just in shot is my really rather excellent pillar drill (to the left with the 3rd angle-poise lamp) & beyond that a drawer storage unit which has my mtb leant up against it. The white topped bench is a clearer now than it was in this shot. The most recent addition is a small lathe (not shown) which sits on the silver topped bench. I'm sort of getting to grips with it but I'm not sure I'll ever be an expert - I'm enjoying learning though :thumbs_up: 

EtDarXR.jpg

Edited by pauluspaolo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
28 minutes ago, al_kaholik said:

Looks like its a nice size in there. And looks pretty well organised at the moment!

Thanks it wasn't organised at all but getting the lathe meant creating space which meant a day spent organising & arranging stuff (that word again!!). The white rack (holding the screwdrivers is actually part of a fridge - I've drilled the holes out larger & it works a treat drilling the wall mount it was a git though! :) 

• Like 1
Just now, Karrusel said:

Looking good. :thumbsup:

Why no 4 foot stilsons or first aid kit ?

:tongue:

First aid kit!?!?!:taz::jawdrop1:

Ye gods man I never injure myself (much) & eventually the bleeding will stop. There's actually a first-aid kit in the Reliant so there's one close(ish) to hand. As for 4' Stilsons will a 3' Britool torque wrench do instead?

:thumbsup: 

1 hour ago, bridgeman said:

How is the reliant? We used to get regular updates of work in progress and usage?

hope it is still well!

Thanks for asking - the Reliant is alive & well. It's a bit leaky - aren't we all? - but continues to be reliable & fun to drive. There are numerous alterations I'd like to make to it: lower the drivers floor which makes for a much nicer driving position apparently & means that a greater range of seats will fit - this means cutting away the drivers side floor (the passenger can lump it I'm afraid), making a few alterations to the seat mounting points & re-glassing the hole back up. Sounds fairly simple (I suspect it isn't - the fuel pipe & possibly brake lines may have to be moved as well) & plenty of people have done it & say that it transforms the car but I'm not sure I have the guts to start attacking the floor with an angle grinder! As it now has a Zetec engine fitted I'd like to fit bike carbs (more power!!) & get a better exhaust (manifold & system) made for it.

Having said what I'd like to do with it I'm not sure I have the mojo for such shenanigans again. If I could give it to a garage, along with a couple of thousand quid & say "do the above alterations to it please?" I probably would. Trouble is I don't have the couple of thousand going spare (yet) & I don't know of a reliable garage who would be happy to do the work. I know of different garages that would do certain bits - Bogg Brothers in Malton are very experienced in fitting bike carbs to cars (it is, or was, their speciality in fact) & there are places who would make an exhaust for it. I suspect I'll have to do the floor myself - so I suppose I'll just have to bite the bullet & make a start on it ...................................................................................................................................................................... maybe next week!?!?  

For the moment it'll stay as it is & I'll enjoy driving it occasionally. Due to lockdown none of the cars have seen much use this year :( 

At the risk of hijacking my own thread have a gratuitous photo of the thing :thumbs_up:  

0oznNHP.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 28/09/2020 at 15:41, pauluspaolo said:

Thanks it wasn't organised at all but getting the lathe meant creating space which meant a day spent organising & arranging stuff (that word again!!). The white rack (holding the screwdrivers is actually part of a fridge - I've drilled the holes out larger & it works a treat drilling the wall mount it was a git though! :) 

Similar thinking here...the door shelves from our old fridge made a couple of handy storage shelves for pencils, safety specs and glasses, small bits and bobs etc...
 Shelves.

and @scottswatches...you can never have too many hammers! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Currently setting up my man cave , we have a spare room where my wheelchair lift goes up to 

IMG_20201118_193245.thumb.jpg.213c325a3cac8b6a6629302474a77a5d.jpg

Spent the afternoon fitting shelves for my odds n ends collectables 

IMG_20201118_185755.thumb.jpg.167c660b7b2eab1c5c26a11e97c02108.jpg

More odds n ends on the cupboard shelves 

IMG_20201118_185822.thumb.jpg.4efe2f6d25a341a9e7fa5f4f1ed5aa35.jpg

IMG_20201118_185812.thumb.jpg.96ca2ace458b04284039c044e2186e16.jpg

Now I just need to clear the desk so it is ready for me to start building some car kits and truck kits 

IMG_20201118_185833.thumb.jpg.1bede93151477ba5508679367c67498e.jpg

• Like 1

It's been a few months since I set my workshop up and it's changed a bit too, as it's evolved. I would dearly love the luxury of a double garage like @pauluspaolo, but have to make do with a single. Most items I have are chosen because they will fold up fairly small when not in use. I think I'm nearly there now...the one item that I would have if I had the space would be a decent sized table saw, but sadly, it's not going to happen.

Space is at a premium in a garage that's only 8 ft (2.4m) wide...
Workshop.

I was only able to have a 2 ft wide bench...any wider and I wouldn't be able to move!
Workshop.

Workshop.

Drilling station (The drill table was the subject of another project).
Drill press table.

Clamps and hand tools. As stated in a post above, you can never have too many clamps, and they need to be readily to hand. Similarly, rather than hunt through tool bags or boxes for my hand tools, they are all to hand on magnetic racks.
Workshop.

Larger hand tools like my planes and chisels are in a large drawer under the bench.
Bench drawer.

These are mainly measuring devices of one sort or another, again on mag racks.
Workshop.

Grinding/polishing station.
Workshop.

This is where most of my folding bits are kept.
Triton 'Superjaws'....a portable, foot operated vice that can open wide enough to clamp a door laid flat.
Workshop.

Folding mitre saw stand and next to it, two Record roller supports.
Workshop.

Folding 'Toughbuilt' saw horses. These can convert into a site table of virtually any size, but I can only use them outside when set up like that.
Workshop.

The opposite wall is taken up by shelves which contain everything I could possibly want from spare toilet valves, all my electrical spares, car cleaning stuff and lots more.
Workshop.

These shelves house all my power tools...Router, jigsaw, SDS drill, angle grinder, electric plane etc, painting equipment, woodscrew box and even my old Nobex mitre saw.
Workshop.

Workshop.

Small components are kept in stacking boxes, ready for instant access.
Workshop.

My old Snap-On tool chest sits in a corner, but isn't used much these days. I quickly found out that Snap-On tools are more for display than use...especially the polished chrome socket wrenches...impossible to grip with oily hands! I gave all mine away and replaced them with Facom ones which are far superior. My friend where I used to work collected Snap-On tools and kept them in a blue, limited Subaru edition rolling tool chest....they were for display only and never actually used!
Workshop.

Workshop.

Workshop.

As space is so limited I had to make a suspended rack to hold long and awkward items like rakes and long reach pruners etc.
Workshop.

large.20201122_102209.jpg.639c3549c6b64e

I hope some more members post their workshops here, too...there may be some ideas that could be of use to us! :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1