• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

When you were 10, what job did you want to do ?

When I was 10 I didnt want to work. I wanted to be a tramp and just wander about. My dad wasnt keen on that and neither were my teachers. However eventually ive more or less achieved becoming a tramp. At least between going out and coming home that is. One day I will retire or go back to Law or somet. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted to be one of the idle rich. Totally failed at that, wrong parents for a start. 

My aspirations weren’t quite as high as that but at a very early age I was pretty sure I didn’t want to do anything that involved hard work, I just wanted to be a lazy b@stard and for the 51 years sin

I got over the train driver/astronaut thing quite early. To be an astronaut when I was 10 you had to be American or Russian, and where I lived lots of trains went to places like Manchester and Birming

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Nigelp said:

When I was 10 I didnt want to work. I wanted to be a tramp and just wander about. My dad wasnt keen on that and neither were my teachers. However eventually ive more or less achieved becoming a tramp. At least between going out and coming home that is. One day I will retire or go back to Law or somet. 

@Roger the Dodger my dad employed a nanny to walk me round Victoria Park in Nelson Lancs and she sang this to convince me againt a career as a tramp. By age 5 i was never putting my hand up when a career as a tramp was mentioned. By age 35 after a few years at Law. Tramphood felt so good and ive yet to look back. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

@Roger the Dodger my dad employed a nanny to walk me round Victoria Park in Nelson Lancs and she sang this to convince me againt a career as a tramp. By age 5 i was never putting my hand up when a career as a tramp was mentioned. By age 35 after a few years at Law. Tramphood felt so good and ive yet to look back. :rolleyes:

Yeah... I think I could have been a tramp...Oh, hold on...:hmmm9uh:

• Like 1
Just now, Roger the Dodger said:

Yeah... I think I could have been a tramp...Oh, hold on...:hmmm9uh:

Its ok aslong as your dad continues to fund you rog. 

Tramping is good with a bmw or merc to get in just in case. 

This was the other option which meant living in bury with @mcb2007

A bit grim

A bit colonial rog as rob says now

The other option was Scotland and even @BondandBigM had sense to get out of there

46 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

my dad employed a nanny to walk me round Victoria Park 

Talk about silver spoons!....I had a slapped arse and 'Be quiet'....:laughing2dw:

You remind me of this, Nige, but believe me, this was nothing compared to what we had dah'n sarf...:sadwalk:

21 hours ago, Roger the Dodger said:

Talk about silver spoons!....I had a slapped arse and 'Be quiet'....:laughing2dw:

You remind me of this, Nige, but believe me, this was nothing compared to what we had dah'n sarf...:sadwalk:

Possibly rog in all fairness ive gone from public school to Leeds Uni Law to  York Law School to the NHS Audit ...and as my mate Nigel Farage would say..."ive never done a proper days work in my life". I caught a few crooks in the NHS though...especially the mental health 'nurses'. Ive cut my hands fiddling with my own old cars and watches though. I wanted to be an Engineer like dad. But my Grandma on mums side was a good Lawyer and that was deemed more seemly. I rebelled right after Law School as I saw the Legal profession as a load of crooks. Ended up in the NHS paying invoices and eventually became a senior auditor...which was worth while...Until I became exasperated with the failings of management and went back to my first love if tramping and nice cars. Ive no money but who cares life us fun. 

18 hours ago, Stan said:

Back on topic, Fireman.

I burnt my arm on the down pipe of a bmw 635csi dad gave me. When i was a fresher at Leeds. The bm was leaking water...turned out to be discharge from the air con. At least i lead under to check. Fireman could be painful. Try selling tropical fish. In all fairness i did fancy that when i was 8. But i was considered to cruel due to my antics with worms and wood lice. Which i gassed with dads lighter in a biscuit tin. Usual kids stuff.

Its never healed final cut is the deepest. I was at the time turning over 9 weeks of case law in my young mind. 

1601844361344354868657.jpg

15 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Possibly rog in all fairness ive gone from public school to Leeds Uni Law to  York Law School to the NHS Audit ...and as my mate Nigel Farage would say..."ive never done a proper days work in my life". I caught a few crooks in the NHS though...especially the mental health 'nurses'. Ive cut my hands fiddling with my own old cars and watches though. I wanted to be an Engineer like dad. But my Grandma on mums side was a good Lawyer and that was deemed more seemly. I rebelled right after Law School as I saw the Legal profession as a load of crooks. Ended up in the NHS paying invoices and eventually became a senior auditor...which was worth while...Until I became exasperated with the failings of management and went back to my first love if tramping and nice cars. Ive no money but who cares life us fun. 

I burnt my arm on the down pipe of a bmw 635csi dad gave me. When i was a fresher at Leeds. The bm was leaking water...turned out to be discharge from the air con. At least i lead under to check. Fireman could be painful. Try selling tropical fish. In all fairness i did fancy that when i was 8. But i was considered to cruel due to my antics with worms and wood lice. Which i gassed with dads lighter in a biscuit tin. Usual kids stuff.

Its never healed final cut is the deepest. I was at the time turning over 9 weeks of case law in my young mind. 

In reality stan everything is on topic isnt it?

19 hours ago, Stan said:

Back on topic, Fireman.

See?

• Confused 1

At 10 I don't think I had any aspirations of future work. My father was a postal worker (Mount Pleasant Sorting Office) and my mother was a one time tailoress, doing 'out work' at home making children's organdie bonnets. Prior to leaving secondary school, I 'discovered' motor bikes and cars and really fancied a life as a motor mechanic. I was convinced that wasn't a good idea and to take an apprenticeship as a scientific instrument maker with a local company called 'Hilger & Watts' and by the end of 'my time' had got my feet under the table, in the 'Methods Department', as a Jig & Tool Design draughtsman, which led on to a further 40 years or so as a Design/Development Engineer in various industries, though I have always 'played' with cars. Sadly engineering in this country has never really paid 'well' but to the most part I have enjoyed work, solving engineering puzzles, which is why, in my post retirement years I have gravitated towards fixing watches, having got a bit too old and stiff to be crawling around under cars any more, though in the last 50 odd years I haven't had a single car that I haven't modified to some degree.............

Edited by John_D

Army for me. My Dad had been in and my uncle Jimmy was still in when I was 10. 
My Dad wasn’t keen and said I should get a trade!
Left school at 16 and went to the Dockyard as an apprentice Shipwright. 
Served my apprenticeship then went straight to the Army career office and signed up! Retire in March next year, never regretted anything. Although the old man wasn’t happy to start with, he later told me he was so proud when I signed up. Got to admit I was the same with my son, told him to get a proper job, then was beaming with pride when he passed out. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/10/2020 at 21:32, Nigelp said:

In reality stan everything is on topic isnt it?

See?

Thank you for your typically trite reaction, I will look forward to your next car purchase, I'm sure it will thrill you.