• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Tudor or Rolex Watch

So my mum has a watch she inherited from her mum and was looking for some more info including rough worth. 

So it’s say Tudor on the watch but the strap says Rolex, I know they are or we’re close at one point but this seems strange, is it just a Tudor watch with a Rolex bracelet

80BE6775-7E47-4192-BD9E-3B083C665184.jpeg

9D74F6A4-DCAC-4264-8E0D-0DD63B40BCE3.jpeg

D32BC714-EA69-4A0C-8741-9058FA93FA0B.jpeg

67781D17-9DB3-453A-B78C-9399A2420C59.jpeg

257DC2C5-355F-4C36-AFF7-85EBC30C5669.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

1950’s? timepiece would be my initial guesstimate.

More interested in the bracelet, can you post a more detailed image of the hallmarks, please.

This is the best I could get

1753C174-E8EF-4068-B901-BE068B0BACD0.jpeg

1BBAAB76-0370-4A46-B19D-3327E05D89E8.jpeg

A little digging and it looks to be a 1950’s Tudor Rolex Royal watch, there was one on the bay at 1100, my mums would need a service @Karrusel you were correct in the age

I believe the bracelet was made in 1958 by  Benjamin Harry Britton & Sons, Vyse Street, Birmingham.

Common at the time for incomplete timepieces to be imported, without precious metal cases, to avoid punitive import taxes.

Rolex/Tudor, along with other prominent Swiss makers, used many quality Birmingham (A L Dennison & others)& Coventry (Rotherham & Sons) case & bracelet makers to complete the casing up.

10 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

I believe the bracelet was made in 1958 by  Benjamin Harry Britton & Sons, Vyse Street, Birmingham.

Common at the time for incomplete timepieces to be imported, without precious metal cases, to avoid punitive import taxes.

Rolex/Tudor, along with other prominent Swiss makers, used many quality Birmingham (A L Dennison & others)& Coventry (Rotherham & Sons) case & bracelet makers to complete the casing up.

Thank you, she had also been showing me her collection of diamond rings from Africa as these were handed down from Grandma. 

The watch is quite nice just couldn’t understand one being Tudor and the other Rolex didn’t know if it was an old rubbish fake

Edited by Guest

24 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

10 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Believe  this to be complete & genuine, from what I can observe ?

Common for many Tudor timepieces of the time to carry Rolex stamps, particularly on the case back & bracelet.

Thank you, she will keep it as sentimental just wanted to find out more, they have the original bill of sale somewhere. 

I liked the bracelet more than the watch, one day @Karrusel I will own a Rolex, well Tudor Rolex ......... 

15 hours ago, Madaboutwatches said:

Usual grandma grandpa watches are fakes 

Not correct.

It's the grandma grandpa eBay story that is usually fake for the fake watch, e.g. "My dear old nan passed away recently and we found this Rolex in her drawer. We have no idea if it is genuine or not but we would like to sell it for £££££s"

Ebay is littered with them. 

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, it'salivejim said:

Not correct.

It's the grandma grandpa eBay story that is usually fake for the fake watch, e.g. "My dear old nan passed away recently and we found this Rolex in her drawer. We have no idea if it is genuine or not but we would like to sell it for £££££s"

Ebay is littered with them. 

I know that, I haven't had one bid !

• Sad 1

It depends on your wallet! If you buy a Tudor you will get a lot of watch for they price you pay! I owned a pelagos, and its beautiful!  But unfortunately iam not rich so I had to sell it to fund a another watch! I wish I could just keep all the watches I owned

• Like 1