UK Watch Forum banner

Latest acquisition...

1K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  martinzx 
#1 ·
Delighted to have secured this Rotherham & Sons, Spon Lane, Coventry, stem wind, pin set, open faced pocket watch.

Sterling silver hallmarked Birmingham 1892.

The albert & fob was also picked up recently at an provincial auction house, like the PW for very little money. :thumbs_up:

The fob carries the Coventry coat of arms, first granted in 1345 by King Edward III.

The strength of an elephant, strong enough to carry a castle.

So far running beautifly!

Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice one, Alan. I know all to well about flame bluing hands. After bluing the new hands on my Grandfather clock very successfully, I decided to reblue the hands on my Elgin Masonic PW as they were a bit rusty. Unfortunately, during the cleaning process, I caught the tip of the minute hand in the fine wire wool I was using and snapped the tip off. I was distraught, but luckily managed to source an identical NOS set from the USA. A lucky escape !

New hands...

Reactions: Karrusel
#10 ·
Looks very clean, I think these things offer outstanding value given supply is greater than demand you get a lot for your money.

Nice clear hallmarks, clean dial and bulletproof movt. Thumbs up from me.

#13 ·
Looks very clean, I think these things offer outstanding value given supply is greater than demand you get a lot for your money.

Nice clear hallmarks, clean dial and bulletproof movt. Thumbs up from me.
Thank you, & I agree wholeheartedly with your summation.

Plus knowing these were hand crafted/assembled by artisans who took pride in their work!

When you consider the many processes, people involved in just the case making...wire drawers, stampers, annealers, case fashioners, springers, closers & polishers, you can really appreciate the skills that went into making these timepieces.

Fortunately I have the occasion to regularly wear one.

:thumbsup:

#20 ·
Thanks all :thumbsup:

Cheers Martin, do I really need another pocket watch ?
When an example such as this pops up, for ridiculously little money, it would have been churlish to pass it by. :biggrin:

Honestly believe (wish) every watch lover should have several at least one English hand made pocket watch!

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.