• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Just now, JonnyOldBoy said:

Is that watch dial enamelled ? Or more of a lacquered paint ?

It is enamelled, as was the general custom at the time.

Coventry had a notable dial making history, also producing dials for prominent Swiss houses. :yes:

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice one, Alan. I know all to well about flame bluing hands. After bluing the new hands on my Grandfather clock very successfully, I decided to reblue the hands on my Elgin Masonic  PW as they were a bit rusty. Unfortunately, during the cleaning process, I caught the tip of the minute hand in the fine wire wool I was using and snapped the tip off. I was distraught, but luckily managed to source an identical NOS set from the USA. A lucky escape !

New hands...

large.Watchpics051_zpsav9zsue9.jpg.78b8511a7fb2270a6d5af9664406d09e.jpg

• Thanks 1

Looks very clean, I think these things offer outstanding value given supply is greater than demand you get a lot for your money.

Nice clear hallmarks, clean dial and bulletproof movt.  Thumbs up from me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, Daveyboyz said:

Looks very clean, I think these things offer outstanding value given supply is greater than demand you get a lot for your money.

Nice clear hallmarks, clean dial and bulletproof movt.  Thumbs up from me.

Thank you, & I agree wholeheartedly with your summation.

Plus knowing these were hand crafted/assembled by artisans who took pride in their work!

When you consider the many processes, people involved in just the case making...wire drawers, stampers, annealers, case fashioners, springers, closers & polishers, you can really appreciate the skills that went into making these timepieces.

Fortunately I have the occasion to regularly wear one.

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Karrusel said:

Fortunately I have the occasion to regularly wear one.

I don't have such occasion or attire but I could still be tempted at some stage if I cross paths with a suitably enticing example.  

• Like 2

Thanks all :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, martinzx said:

Well done Alan, a beautiful timepiece the quality is tremendous, a testimony to local watch artisans and the rich watch history in Coventry of yesteryear! :thumbsup:

Cheers Martin, do I really need another pocket watch ?
When an example such as this pops up, for ridiculously little money, it would have been churlish to pass it by. :biggrin:

Honestly believe (wish) every watch lover should have several at least one English hand made pocket watch!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Honestly believe (wish) every watch lover should have several at least one English hand made pocket watch!

I agree, more excuses reasons to buy watches! Excellent! :yes::whistling:

• Like 1