• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

British Horological Institute, Upton

We are moving house this month and as it turns out, we will live ten minutes' cycle from the BHI in Upton. 

Of course I intend to go to the museum (albeit on my own as I've been unsuccesful in my attempts to sell it to the family) but was interested in hearing about people's experiences with their other courses or things to see and do. 

As a hobbyist rather than a budding career watchmaker, what's good to do?

The 'make your own watch' looks interesting but details are sparse on what you come away with. 

Any recommendations/experiences welcome. 

images.jpg

That's the BHI by the way, not my new house

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well worth a visit, the  courses, as I have been reliably informed, are excellent.

Have not subscribed to one myself (no need :whistle:), Scott of this parish has & I'm sure he will be along to add further. 

Have attended various events & watch fairs there in the past which is always a delight.

Last year myself & colleagues were invited by a friend & colleague, President of the BHI, The Rt Hon, The Viscount Alan Midleton, to participate in the 'Space Time' event.

Few pictures from my last visit...

YteHjtN.jpg

Lo9Bzvb.jpg

BAWGhsE.jpg

tGB4LhE.jpg

OysxDrk.jpg

Water Clock by Roger Pratt..

s0z8tMB.jpg

QuEW0wH.jpg

LpTkj6Q.jpg

GfWwCyI.jpg

LqX87Z5.jpg

75iIPdl.jpg

BHI member had recreated a model of John Harrison's Grasshopper Escapement...

https://i.imgur.com/fsKdCze.mp4

pZ6QW3A.jpg

FJx9sfv.jpg

bcXDUp0.jpg

sQKjfJK.jpg

ljsGccR.jpg

QapFk7q.jpg

rM33dkO.jpg

AzoeWNd.jpg

2175OMa.jpg

Sw0KTDX.jpg

The two Alan's...

4xSTsfR.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

I've done 2 of the week long courses - "Servicing and Repair of Manual Winding Watches" and "Service and Correcting Faults in an Automatic Watch". I'd highly recommend both courses - John Murphy is an exceptional instructor with a real passion for horology and a funny guy to boot.

They used to have taster days before all the Covid stuff kicked off - might be worth seeing if they still do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Lampoc said:

I've done 2 of the week long courses - "Servicing and Repair of Manual Winding Watches" and "Service and Correcting Faults in an Automatic Watch". I'd highly recommend both courses - John Murphy is an exceptional instructor with a real passion for horology and a funny guy to boot.

They used to have taster days before all the Covid stuff kicked off - might be worth seeing if they still do.

Yes John Murphy is a good instructor.  The courses only hold six people, so not only do they get booked up quickly but you are guaranteed one on one time.  

I have done Basic Watch, Auto and Calendar and Quartz courses.  I might sign up for the chronograph one next year too.  I'm only 40 minutes away so didn't stay over, and it makes the courses cheaper.  However you do come away with a big long list of new tools you need...

The museum is clock heavy, so don't expect too much on the watches in there.  The food at the cafe on site is quite nice - leave the family in there while you explore Upton Hall

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Yes John Murphy is a good instructor.  The courses only hold six people, so not only do they get booked up quickly but you are guaranteed one on one time.  

I have done Basic Watch, Auto and Calendar and Quartz courses.  I might sign up for the chronograph one next year too.  I'm only 40 minutes away so didn't stay over, and it makes the courses cheaper.  However you do come away with a big long list of new tools you need...

The museum is clock heavy, so don't expect too much on the watches in there.  The food at the cafe on site is quite nice - leave the family in there while you explore Upton Hall

I did the courses when it was Basic watch and Auto too - they seem to have changed the course names since. I'm close too so drove on a daily basis - I did stay one night just for the end of course piss up :D I've currently got a chronograph course booked but no idea if it's going ahead yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1