UK Watch Forum banner

Christopher Ward Watches

6K views 59 replies 28 participants last post by  spinynorman 
#1 ·
CW is a brand I've been aware of for a long time bit not being interested in owning.

I've just subscribed to their magazine. Really impressed with the range available in particular the C60 Sapphire and Compressor range. Anyone own a CW watch and what's your opinion of them please? How do they compare to the big name brands?

#9 ·
CW is a brand I've been aware of for a long time bit not being interested in owning.
I've just subscribed to their magazine. Really impressed with the range available in particular the C60 Sapphire and Compressor range. Anyone own a CW watch and what's your opinion of them please? How do they compare to the big name brands?
I have a c60 sapphire and whilst it is a beauty it is too small for me. I may well be interested in selling it if you were looking for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Anyone own a CW watch and what's your opinion of them please?
:hmmm9uh:

Only eleven... :(

L-R: C1000 TYPHOON FGR4 (ceramic cased), C5 MALVERN MKII LE, C9 5 DAY Chronometer SH21 (serial number 1)...

L-R: C60 TRIDENT 300 (quartz), '595 AIR'...

L-R: C1 GRAND MALVERN Jump Hour, C9 MOONPHASE, C8 FLYER...

L_R: C9 WORLDTIMER, C60 TRIDENT Pro 600 GMT, C65 DIVER manual...

How do they compare to the big name brands?
Very well, IMHO!

:thumbsup:

#21 ·
:hmmm9uh:

Only eleven... :(

U4VBcb6.jpg

L-R: C1000 TYPHOON FGR4 (ceramic cased), C5 MALVERN MKII LE, C9 5 DAY Chronometer SH21 (serial number 1)...

vQT4sDj.jpg

L-R: C60 TRIDENT 300 (quartz), '595 AIR'...

tx71Y3D.jpg

L-R: C1 GRAND MALVERN Jump Hour, C9 MOONPHASE, C8 FLYER...

SEhgzYw.jpg

L_R: C9 WORLDTIMER, C60 TRIDENT Pro 600 GMT, C65 DIVER manual...

gMUE5kg.jpg

Very well, IMHO!

:thumbsup:
WorldTimer is lovely.

#12 ·
Same here, not a brand I have looked at closely. They get a lot of love from collectors, and I've always considered @Karruselto be quite discerning guy, so with eleven in his collection I don't see how they can anything other than a quality offering.

All that said, and getting back to @Philzrequest, I think that they appear to be really good specs, really good value for money, Swiss made, and British designed. Not much to dislike really.

I think I'd rather give my money to Christopher Ward than Tudor to be very honest.

#13 ·
I have a 38mm c60I have a 38mm c60 diver & a 43mm C60 GMT. both good quality watches that I would happily recommend. Unfortunately you are unable to try before you buy. I have found that the 38mm gets little use but the GMT is always taken when venturing overseas. For me as a watch I don't have to worry about, It is robust & waterproof, just about perfect.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Also this chequered motif has been used too!
The so-called Twin Flags Logo. You can just about see it in relief below the 12 on my third watch there. it is also on the crowns, it has been embossed or debossed into straps, and has appeared in various guises on clasps, packaging and so on. It has occasionally been used as the only dial logo when it has not been possible to fit the full Christopher Ward mark on the dial.

#26 ·
I still have the Trident Vintage that I bought in December 2015 and it's still going strong now. It's in excellent condition.

Their newest very nice, but very generic looking Trident, with 2 sub-dials is on the market for 1800 pounds.

If anyone is interested, wait until they are discounted, which will be soon.

I don't like the new logo, don't much like Mike France (never met him, but his public persona leave me a bit cold), not a great fan of many of their latest offerings and since the new inward investment arrived and Mr. Ward himself left the company, feel that the soul of the company has dimmed.

#35 ·
I've two and really happy with them. Excellent watches, and excellent service, the folks at CW are very helpful and good to deal with.

Christopher Ward C60 Sapphire C60-40ADA3-S00B0-B0 (Cal: Sellita SW200-1)

Watch Analog watch Light Clock Watch accessory

Christopher Ward C65 Trident GMT C65-41AGM1-S00K0-VC (Cal: Sellita SW330)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

Attachments

#39 ·
I have owned about 5 of them and sold them all. I think I just got worn down by the endless sales, logo meltdowns and changes in direction.

They are nice watches and nobody should be put off buying really if you like what you see but unfortunately like many British brands the scatter gun approach to marketing just makes me give up on them.

#42 ·
I only have the one CW and it's very well made and finished, it also keeps good time. I don't think I would have paid full price for it though, I got it for a 3rd of the price as a display model. It duly arrived fully boxed with all stickers on etc.

It also has the loudest rotor noise I have ever heard from a watch, and I own some really crap watches. [emoji16]

486d9bab21f48926443b900fd2e2ec44.jpg

I am not buying any more watches. [emoji17]
Well maybe the odd one or two. [emoji16]

#49 ·
Had a 38mm quartz diver a while back. White dial bought off here in fact. Very well made but just didn't bond with it. Was used to wearing a longines Hydro conquest auto at the time so that might have been why. It had a lot of polishing felt a bit blingy. Paid 190 quid for it. Was happy to let it go at 150.

#51 ·
I'm a big fan of Christopher Ward having admired the brand and the line up for a while and jumping in quite hard this year.

I see them as closely crossing that subjective line between affordable and luxury in a favourable way: pricing= upper affordable/experience= lower luxury

Customer service and after-sale is excellent. Visiting the showroom in Maidenhead is a lot of fun. Most importantly, the execution of the watches is fantastic with a great feel on wrist. The casebacks are tremendous.

I own the C60 Trident Ombre COSH and C60 Trident GMT 600. I've also had both the manual and auto C65 vintage divers but sold them on as I couldn't find a place for them in my collection.

The box and papers add to the occasion aswell.

Bracelets are fine and my only slight niggle is I can't get on with the straps - wish there was just a tiny bit more there. I've put the GMT on a nato and live with the strap on the Ombre as although the feel is not 100%, it's the vintage italian version so it suits the watch perfectly.

They frequently have discounts floating around and even when not, I got £100 off at the showroom but would've been more than happy to pay retail.

#52 ·
I got £100 off at the showroom but would've been more than happy to pay retail.
This is the only bit I take issue with. RRP for their watches is ridiculous given the cost models they use. Because they ( as they say themselves ) cut out the end men and sell from the middle men ( ie them ) , then that would mean their watches would have a theoretical RRP of TWICE what they state as their standard RRPs with no retailing from B&M going on. This is the bit for me that is hard to swallow. Using their business model for example, if Breitling operated the same way , then a Breilting SuperOcean could be got for around £1200 and is significantly better than the CW, more so than the Scomaritve difference illustrated there. So yes they are very good watches, but not at full RRP for me.

#58 ·

ok a little late opps
your not being interested in owning tho ... could you name a watch you would be interested in owning... like anything more so most things in life there only value is in what people are prepared to pay for them... is a 250 grand watch worth 250 grand e.g. if franck muller sold his nice watches say in Argos they would be seen as mealy a working class wristwatch... like anything expensive... my pens use the same ink as foster

#59 ·
ok a little late opps
your not being interested in owning tho ... could you name a watch you would be interested in owning... like anything more so most things in life there only value is in what people are prepared to pay for them... is a 250 grand watch worth 250 grand e.g. if franck muller sold his nice watches say in Argos they would be seen as mealy a working class wristwatch... like anything expensive... my pens use the same ink as foster
I got my Franck Muller from Woolworths. It was in the pick and mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.