• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Know Your Limits: Three Recent Additions to the Limit Pilot Watch Collection

Some of you will perhaps remember my fondness for Limit watches; my watch collecting began with this brand, and periodically, I like to refresh my acquaintance with Limit to see what goodies they are currently offering. Limit is a company with a long history and it still trundles along in its own idiosyncratic way, under the umbrella of the Time Products group, producing watches that are inexpensive yet pretty decent by and large. When I say inexpensive, I mean that the RRP of the watches rarely exceeds £30. A few days ago, I picked up a useful never-been-worn Limit "beater" in the form of a black digital watch, for a pound, and I now wear it on my daily exercise/bird spotting walk to time my progress. It has a useful 100 metres water resistance and the main features one expects from a basic digital chronograph watch. The new price is £16.95 on Amazon UK.

Buying this watch reminded me that I have not recently visited Limit to see what new models have surfaced, and I was pleased to see that there were a few rather decent new watches in my favourite Limit category, the "pilot" watches. Although Limit have committed a sin in producing a small number of watches with "decoration only" features, I am glad to say that in the main, the new pilot models are rather good and extremely good value. Yes, these might be retro designs based on early classic watch designs, but in my book, Limit is a company with a genuine heritage that permits it to draw heavily from watch designs of much earlier periods. 

I show three relatively new Limit models below, two of which have a date feature and all of which are on the current Limit website. All of these watches have alloy cases, snap-on stainless steel casebacks, and scratch resistant mineral glass crystals, and they are all powered by Japanese quartz movements (almost certainly Miyota, given past Limit provenance). The straps are not hideous but the leather-look straps are PU and I feel that it is worth replacing the latter with something a bit better. Limit do not state any water resistance figure for these watches, but in my experience water resistance in Limit watches of this type is perfectly sufficient for general wear. The watches are guaranteed for two years. 

My favourite of the new pilot models is this one, with a 40 mm X 10 mm case with a coin-edge bezel. The hands and hour numbers/markers are lumed  (pics from limit.co.uk). This watch with a black strap has an RRP of £29.99 while the same watch with a stainless steel mesh strap comes in at £39.99 (pics from limit.co.uk):

5747a.png

5747b.png

This model here below also comes in a white dial colourway, also with a black coated case. Case dimensions are 40 mm X 13 mm. The RRP  from Limit is £24.99 (pics from limit.co.uk):

5948.png

I am not sure how I feel about watches that have been deliberately aged to give them a period look but because the design of this watch, shown here below, is such a classic, I thought I would include it. Indeed, Limit actually seems to have made a good fist at this type of watch although it appears that there is no lume. There are two colourways of this model available; this one and one with an antiqued silver coloured case and white numbers/markers on the black dial. I cannot find the case size for this watch - perhaps it hasn't yet reached retailers - but the RRP is stated by Limit, at £29.99

5795.png

5795-1.png

5795-2.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My only 'Limit' watch is this vintage AS1903 one......Not sure about the 'revival' ones........

nRk6Zu5.jpg

I bought this initially just to 'steal' the movement for another watch, but decided that it was far too nice to break up......

• Like 2

My only 'Limit' watch is this vintage AS1903 one......Not sure about the 'revival' ones........

nRk6Zu5.jpg

I bought this initially just to 'steal' the movement for another watch, but decided that it was far too nice to break up......

History of the  original 'Limit' watch brand HERE.......

• Thanks 1

One of my favourite pastimes is scanning through pages of ''pocket money'' watches and buying on impulse. It's something my budget does not allow with high end watches plus I don't have to convince Mrs eezy it's a good investment!

• Like 1