• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Were school days the happiest of your life ?

I was always told by grown ups that they were. And being honest, for three years at a primary school in the North East of Scotland they most definitely were. Out of a class that fluctuated between 25 and 30, we were all very close, and still are, even though many are in the far flung corners of the earth. This year was to be a big reunion, which for obvious reasons hasn't happened, but it will in the future, and I am looking forward to it. We had a get together at the start of this year, and it wasn't "rose tinted spectacles" we just  seemed to carry on where we left off. Secondary school was a different matter. I moved to the Central belt of Scotland, where anyone with a "Doric" accent was an immediate target for the bullies, both pupils and teaching staff, but it did have a positive, it educated me in how to successfully deal with grown up bullies in my career life.

I wasn't keen on school, college and uni were much better. I think University was the best days of my life. Table football and getting fined 50 quid in the Library being high and low sides. School was too confining for me I was always in trouble for talking or something. Uni was total freedom no boundaries. Apart from in the Law library hence the 50 quid fine. 

Secondary school was a Catholic one and to be honest I just didnt fit in - in the end getting banned from Confession. 

Edited by Nigelp

yes. but i did not know it at the time !:(

i was lucky with all my schools even stayed on with what was called a 5 th year, had a group for freinds that lasted all way through which helped , But i was not very good at school work, always better with my hands not my head:biggrin: .

and had a even happier time when i left school and went for 2 years at catering college !

deano

I had a pretty good time at school, and did well in my exams without really trying too hard, so that was a bonus.  However, as others have said, it was when I left school and went to art college for a couple of years that I was really happy, and seemed to come out of my shell a lot more (I was very shy at school).  I was lucky to find a subject I enjoyed, and was good at, so it wasn't exactly hard work for me.  I've made a career out of it for the past 40+ years, and remarkably, I still enjoy it.

School wasn’t unhappy as such but like work from a very early age I just didn’t want to be there, it was just an infringement on my liberty. At least with work when I was younger if I woke up and didn’t fancy it I just didn’t go but I wouldn’t have dared do that with school. My mother would have sorted us out in short order.

I never kept in touch with anybody. My twin sister organised a 60 birthday party come reunion sort of thing as she has kept in touch with loads of people and I when was sat at a table couple of our old school class people came over.

”Don’t you remember me”

”No”

I always did have a bad memory 

:laughing2dw: :laughing2dw:

4 hours ago, deano1956 said:

yes. but i did not know it at the time !:(

i was lucky with all my schools even stayed on with what was called a 5 th year, had a group for freinds that lasted all way through which helped , But i was not very good at school work, always better with my hands not my head:biggrin: .

and had a even happier time when i left school and went for 2 years at catering college !

deano

You should be ok knocking pin in ont new watch that fell to bits then lad eh. :swoon:

You needed a public school like i had not with priests though but a lass like this. 

Reminds me of ms davies at prep school my mate geoffrey carved geoff and nigel 4 davies in her desk with a pen knife. Not my idea :jawdrop1:

We should change this thread to which teacher did you want to shag at school a female one i hope. 

16 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

School wasn’t unhappy as such but like work from a very early age I just didn’t want to be there, it was just an infringement on my liberty. At least with work when I was younger if I woke up and didn’t fancy it I just didn’t go but I wouldn’t have dared do that with school. My mother would have sorted us out in short order.

I never kept in touch with anybody. My twin sister organised a 60 birthday party come reunion sort of thing as she has kept in touch with loads of people and I when was sat at a table couple of our old school class people came over.

”Don’t you remember me”

”No”

I always did have a bad memory 

Any fit teachers. 

You cant be serious if you didnt get cold sweats at night over the cookery mistress with big boobs. 

I always walked away too....school my arse pain in the neck mostly. Im not keen on teachers or policemen. Not keen on authority of any kind really. Apparantly "the rules dont apply to you do they Nigel?"...some teacher a miss roper i think said that....i spent lots of time outside the headmasters office. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

:swoon:

Any fit teachers. 

You cant be serious if you didnt get cold sweats at night over the cookery mistress with big boobs. 

Our French teacher at secondary school was more than a bit fit but she had disgusting bad breath which dampened any thoughts of that sort of thing.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, BondandBigM said:

Our French teacher at secondary school was more than a bit fit but she had disgusting bad breath which dampened any thoughts of that sort of thing.

Face down mate

2 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Face down mate

Ahh miss conlon when i was 14. 

English Lit. 

Edited by Nigelp
  • Haha 1

I had eight schools in my 13 years at school so no, they weren't particularly happy. I had three infant school and two junior schools which was very disruptive for me as a young child. My two secondary schools were not great schools but I did well enough to go to a VI form school which is probably the one I enjoyed the most.

8 minutes ago, JoT said:

I had eight schools in my 13 years at school so no, they weren't particularly happy. I had three infant school and two junior schools which was very disruptive for me as a young child. My two secondary schools were not great schools but I did well enough to go to a VI form school which is probably the one I enjoyed the most.

You were lucky i was in a private Catholic college with Priests from 11 to 16. And when i asked for numbers 1 to 40 at confession i was banned. Give me an ordinary secondary modern with a few women teachers any day of the week. 

14 hours ago, Nigelp said:

Give me an ordinary secondary modern with a few women teachers any day of the week. 

well thats why i was lucky, its what i had:thumbsup:, and it was infact the cookery teacher ( i went onto college to train as a chef thats why i was in her class with one other boy and rest girls) who i had a real hard on for :biggrin: but looking 12 @ 16 did not help in my advances , :(

deano

why fix it ( pin that is )when a complaint gets you a new one + freebies:laugh:

No not the happiest, i didnt hate school i just didnt particularly like going, did have a few laughs though.I`ve no interest in school reunions, not for me pretending you`re interested in someone you were ambivalent about at school, i do still see old schoolmates now and again, one or two i`ll chat to but most not even an acknowledgement....more of a (to myself) blimey he/she hasn`t aged well!:tongue:

As with Wrench, my primary school was fantastic. In hindsight probably the most influential time of my life and mainly through the input of one teacher. The comp had it moments, good, bad, indifferent and frightening. A geology O level field trip to North Devon was in many respects a life changer as I had never been exposed to such Countryside before and after I had left school and had some money, I couldn't wait to go back and only stopped going west when I got to the Scilly Isles!  

Working in counter fraud in the civil service with small teams in the London area (although it took me all over the UK), then based in Sheffield (but again working all over) were the most fulfilling of my career. Working with like minded people who all became friends and in many respects pushing the boundaries back as to what could be achieved by being innovative, mixed with hard work and a little skill. 

I don't really remember much about my primary school, which was Danesfield County Primary, attached to the RAF married quarters there. Mother would put me, and later, my sister on a bus in Marlow where we lived for the 6 mile journey to school. We were aged 4 at the time. I can't imagine that happening today.

Secondary school was Sir William Borlase Grammar school in Marlow, and that was a real step back in time. At the time I was there ('65-'70) it was as it had always been, a boys only school. Later it became co-ed. It was a miserable experience, with bullying rife, the prefects being the worst offenders. They were priviledged boys of 16 or 17, and had their own study. If they caught you running in the cloisters, or walking on the Chapel lawn, they had the authority to hand out lines which had to be completed in a ridiculous time. They had special lines paper with 50 lines per side, and you would have to copy out of a book, minimum of eight words to the line, until the punishment was met. You would get 100, or 200 lines to be completed by the end of the day...if you failed to hand them in, you would have the task doubled. When you did finally hand them to the prefect who had issued them, they would take great pleasure in ripping them up in front of your face. Another of their favourites was to grab a first former from the queue at the refectory, and make them 'fag' for the prefects. This meant fetching and serving their dinner for them. Caning was still practiced back then, and I remember accidentaly breaking a window one day, and being offered the choice of asking my parents for 10/-  (50p today) to pay for it, or 6 of the best. I took the caning, as I didn't dare ask my parents for the money. The masters all wore black gowns, and they would not hesitate to hit you on the hand with a ruler, clip your ear, or lift you from your chair by the hair if you so much as stepped out of line. We would retaliate by flicking our fountain pens at their backs as they walked past our desks. Goodness knows what the colour of the water was like when their wives washed their gowns...

The school motto was Te digna sequere....'Follow things worthy'. Trying to live up to that motto was pretty much impossible, and maybe the reason I became a bit of a rebel later. Schooldays? I hated them!

277913DCC27316240CA17AEAAF8116BB.jpg

24 minutes ago, Roger the Dodger said:

prefects being the worst offenders. They were priviledged boys of 16 or 17, and had their own study.

I still suffer from P.T.G.D. (Post traumatic Genesis disorder) because of the prefects. They played Genesis albums continually in their study. I looped the belt on their record player so it went backwards, and when I got pulled up about it, told them it was Satan that had done it. They never handed out any punishment to me, because they knew I wouldn't take it or do it. 

The school motto was; Sic Itur Ad Astra. Such is the path to the stars.

• Haha 2
13 minutes ago, WRENCH said:

I still suffer from P.T.G.D. (Post traumatic Genesis disorder) because of the prefects. They played Genesis albums continually in their study.

A group of us were allowed to use the Tech room in the gallery above the school hall, where there was Projection equipment and the lighting and sound desks. We had a kettle, made coffee at lunchtime and yes, we played Genesis album all the time!:laugh:

3 minutes ago, AVO said:

and yes, we played Genesis album all the time!:laugh:

I seem to remember other forms of audible torture emanating from the room under the headings of "Yes" and "Tubular Bells". :laughing2dw: