• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Longines Admiral Caseback - help needed

I've got this Longines Admiral and I would like to take off the caseback to see the movement, but not having any luck so far. It is a 12-sided polygon shape, which I hoped would unscrew with a sticky ball, but no such luck. Jax type tools won't touch it either and I'm beginning to wonder if it is a screw at all. I've seen suggestions the Admirals open by pushing the crystal through from the front, which is why there's a notch behind the crown. Does anyone here know? I don't want to do anything fatal.

Longines Admiral

Had a 1960's Mido that defied all conventional case back openers.

Before getting the plasma cutter out I tried one more option.

Super glued a nut (not salted variety) to case back...

L8xnUN6.jpg

Left to cure & undone with a socket set...

KL61o3f.jpg

Placed case back in small pot of DC's nail varnish remover for an hour...

IsBMlCJ.jpg

After rinsing & drying, no additional marks left on case back.

Cleaned & applied fresh silicone grease to seal...result!

Trust me, it works. :yes:

:thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Karrusel said:

Had a 1960's Mido that defied all conventional case back openers.

Before getting the plasma cutter out I tried one more option.

Super glued a nut (not salted variety) to case back...

L8xnUN6.jpg

Left to cure & undone with a socket set...

KL61o3f.jpg

Placed case back in small pot of DC's nail varnish remover for an hour...

IsBMlCJ.jpg

After rinsing & drying, no additional marks left on case back.

Cleaned & applied fresh silicone grease to seal...result!

Trust me, it works. :yes:

:thumbsup:

Thanks. I have a nut lined up as the last option, when I've convinced myself it really is a screw back. 

How did you get it tight when you put the case back on again?

You might be able to get a large spanner or your case back, as long as it is good enough quality.  If not the glued nut method is effective as @Karrusel demonstrates.

I haven't seen a Roamer type press through case on a Longines before, but the slot is intriguing. 

• Thanks 1
17 hours ago, spinynorman said:

I've got this Longines Admiral and I would like to take off the caseback to see the movement, but not having any luck so far. It is a 12-sided polygon shape, which I hoped would unscrew with a sticky ball, but no such luck. Jax type tools won't touch it either and I'm beginning to wonder if it is a screw at all. I've seen suggestions the Admirals open by pushing the crystal through from the front, which is why there's a notch behind the crown. Does anyone here know? I don't want to do anything fatal.

Longines Admiral

If it is anything like a seiko kq with that design then the outer collar is a screw retainer. Yes that outer ring. Is there a small point where you can insert and push it round on the outer piece that looks like a washer? It certainly pushes from the back or may rather lift from the back as crown as a case cut out. 

• Thanks 1

Mine's a screw back although I note that it doesn't have the notch behind the crown like yours.  Perhaps yours has been overly tightened or not removed for a very long time so has become stuck, perhaps with an ancient and decaying gasket gumming it up.  Let's just hope it hasn't been cross-threaded.  A Jaxa type tool worked for me with the right bits, a little force and some courage!  I've scratched case backs before but fortunately not in this case, if you'll pardon the pun, although you can see a couple of marks which might have been there previously.  To replace and re-tighten I used a Bergeon 2533 rubber case back tool which provides good grip and plenty of leverage.

longines_back.jpg

Inside you may find the lovely Longines Cal.6952:

longines_6952.jpg

• Thanks 1

Success!!! I protected the back with thin strips of electrical tape and then, with a lot of fiddling, got a grip on it with a Jaxa tool, enough to loosen it, then the sticky ball did the rest.

When the crown is pulled out it doesn't clear the notch, so I realised it couldn't push through.

Inside, a Cal 506, with date quickset by pushing the crown, so I guess that explains the notch.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

Longines cal 506

• Like 3
2 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

Mine's a screw back although I note that it doesn't have the notch behind the crown like yours.  Perhaps yours has been overly tightened or not removed for a very long time so has become stuck, perhaps with an ancient and decaying gasket gumming it up.  Let's just hope it hasn't been cross-threaded.  A Jaxa type tool worked for me with the right bits, a little force and some courage!  I've scratched case backs before but fortunately not in this case, if you'll pardon the pun, although you can see a couple of marks which might have been there previously.  To replace and re-tighten I used a Bergeon 2533 rubber case back tool which provides good grip and plenty of leverage.

longines_back.jpg

Inside you may find the lovely Longines Cal.6952:

longines_6952.jpg

That is lovely. Quite pleased with mine too.

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

That is lovely. Quite pleased with mine too.

And so you should be :yes:

I now notice that your watch is somewhat larger than mine. 20mm lug width and an overall chunkier case.  To satisfy my interest can you date it from the movement serial number?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rhaythorne said:

And so you should be :yes:

I now notice that your watch is somewhat larger than mine. 20mm lug width and an overall chunkier case.  To satisfy my interest can you date it from the movement serial number?

51xx... dates to 1974. It is chunky - 37mm across, excl crown, and 43mm diagonal.

Longines Admiral

• Like 1

I had a major under taking with a screwed case back on this Movado Futuramic, the case was corroded and someone had screwed the case back so far in that it had chewed up the lead gasket that had then picked up in the case back threads as well as stray bits then getting into the movement.

It was very much a matter of brute force and ignorance getting it off that involved using some heat too, if the case broke apart i was at least hoping I might get a decent movement out of it (115 calibre)

Amazingly it did come off and the case and it's lugs survived, plus the movement was in great condition.

The watch needs a dial restoration but it's now running!

005.JPG.5f4159de752c6eed7e70d3e53e153d6d.jpg

006.JPG.125f92cffd9f07bbbdc56a2a039220ed.jpg

122037819_708473843092662_8311772615336615216_n.jpg

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, rubbatiti said:

I had a major under taking with a screwed case back on this Movado Futuramic, the case was corroded and someone had screwed the case back so far in that it had chewed up the lead gasket that had then picked up in the case back threads as well as stray bits then getting into the movement.

It was very much a matter of brute force and ignorance getting it off that involved using some heat too, if the case broke apart i was at least hoping I might get a decent movement out of it (115 calibre)

Amazingly it did come off and the case and it's lugs survived, plus the movement was in great condition.

The watch needs a dial restoration but it's now running!

005.JPG.5f4159de752c6eed7e70d3e53e153d6d.jpg

006.JPG.125f92cffd9f07bbbdc56a2a039220ed.jpg

122037819_708473843092662_8311772615336615216_n.jpg

It was my first experience of this kind of caseback and I really didn't want to risk any damage. I thought there might be a tool designed for the job, but couldn't find anything. Good luck with the dial restoration on yours.

3 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

It was my first experience of this kind of caseback and I really didn't want to risk any damage. I thought there might be a tool designed for the job, but couldn't find anything. Good luck with the dial restoration on yours.

There are tools available like these for the various sizes and types...

Decagonal keys.jpg

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, rubbatiti said:

There are tools available like these for the various sizes and types...

Decagonal keys.jpg

I saw those, but they're all 10-sided and I needed 12. There are Longines tools on ebay for £70-90 which the sellers say are for casebacks, but on the handle it says for crystals. I emailed the company that sell those decagonal ones to see if they had anything, but no reply.

• Like 1