Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Recommended Posts

Good morning all, time to show off your oldies..

SMITHS EMPIRE, 5 JEWELS (TY movement?) MADE IN GT. BRITAIN. 

(at The Gurnos Works, Ystradgynlais Wales, circa mid 1950s)

1308034538_SmithsEmpire.jpg.e376f1a8ad229d891ad53c1d206e7438.jpg

 

 

TUDOR PRINCE OYSTERDATE, 26 Jewels (?) 1979

1806723874_TudorPrinceOysterdate26Jewels()1979..png.5d1d98bf0a648e481a6fff13dc4e3011.png

 

:biggrin:

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elgin from the 1890's  

Posted Images

Morning,

Today this Majex auto whose dial has clearly suffered some ravages which, fortunately, haven’t been visited on its 21j ETA 2452.

Swiss-made, probably by Era Watches, imported into UK by Gaumont Watches and distributed by Marchand & Jobin of London and Glasgow.

Regards.

Majex auto 2020 3 v.3.jpg

Majex auto ETA 2452 2020 2 v.3.jpg

Majex ashtray 1 v.2.jpg

Morning,

Today this Majex auto whose dial has clearly suffered some ravages which, fortunately, haven’t been visited on its 21j ETA 2452.

Swiss-made, probably by Era Watches, imported into UK by Gaumont Watches and distributed by Marchand & Jobin of London and Glasgow.

Regards.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I put another black dialed pair on when I got up....

BOCTOk, 21  КАМНЯ (kaл. 2416), Сделано в СССР,  (Vostok, 21 Jewels [cal 2416], MADE IN USSR,1980s )   

BOCTOK-DSC_0226.thumb.gif.6774c3eddb56b6c07972577d72bba993.gif

&

SEKONDA Alarm, (Poljot Signal) USSR cal.2612 18 Jewels (circa1980s)

SEKONDA-DSC_0224.thumb.gif.d53f4173747f4c97eb4f7da53b650115.gif

OOOKKK!!!

226670565_(16).gif.d4a7e6ec5851c9441e2badf8e37f6004.gif

             :biggrin:

 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I rescued this from Egypt, definitely in the senior category, I have the original sales receipt to Amoptop III, in the year the water-bearer stood on a snake, (carbon dated to approx 1900BC).

IMG_20201018_125134838(1)(1).thumb.jpg.8526a1e1c6d76e836a4fe1011ed5c37f.jpg

Still spot on after 4000 years on the winder.

HAGD

J

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's veteran, the ornate and enigmatic Orefa. Due to the Lorsa movement and "Besancon" stamped in the lid, I'm fairly confident this is by Fabrique de montres "Oréfa", prop. André Fierobe et Cie of 48 Grande Rue, Charquemont, Doubs in France. This outfit had a brief flowering from c1942 until 1962 and, according to my favourite French property blog, was a prolific buyer of ebauches from a wide range of French and Swiss suppliers. However, other owners of the "Orefa" marque are available. :)

OrefaOrefa Besancon

 

Edited by spinynorman
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spinynorman said:

Today's veteran, the ornate and enigmatic Orefa. Due to the Lorsa movement and "Besancon" stamped in the lid, I'm fairly confident this is by Fabrique de montres "Oréfa", prop. André Fierobe et Cie of 48 Grande Rue, Charquemont, Doubs in France. This outfit had a brief flowering from c1942 until 1962 and, according to my favourite French property blog, was a prolific buyer of ebauches from a wide range of French and Swiss suppliers. However, other owners of the "Orefa" marque are available. :)

OrefaOrefa Besancon

 

I have a Movado 5M in a case by the same maker, I've never been able to decipher the trademark to find out who made it. I rather imagine there were more than few watch case makers in Besançon!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This actually sneaks in. Though the serial number on the case is September 1980. The movement was created in December 1979....not bad for a watch that runs at +11 seconds a year and has done for the last 40 years. I reckon that makes it a honorary member. 

9642 5000. Twin Quartz. Second to last of series. They had nothing else to prove maybe. :biggrin:

And its just a seiko. :biggrin:

 

20201018_184419.jpg

20201018_184459.jpg

 

Whisper it in confidence. This was the same price as a Rolex Submariner in 1980....over priced obviously thats why hardly anyone bought one. I am glad someone bought this one though....

1 hour ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

My last pair....

 

TIMEX, #24 movement, circa 1970s?

TIMEX image.png.7029c11651675cd53a2df453c9d90b13.png

 

SERVICES (Red Star) SWISS MADE, ETA cal.2782 25 Jewels, circa early 1970s

2045723323_SERVICESimage.png.1a1131bbd1f7e9c0a263155bc3c1b0b7.thumb.png.89dea76a436267fa0cb72e014c32adcd.png

:biggrin:

 

The Timex is lovely Mach. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Still the same watch, but removed the bund - and although I have a well illuminated work table, with ceiling lights, wall lights and task lights all fitted with high temperature daylight bulbs and providing a shadow free work-zone, it seemed important to do it NOW, and remove and re-fit the strap bars by the light of the greenhouse solar lamp, and a paraffin heater! 

IMG_20201018_185922190(1).thumb.jpg.b72bd6dae179b04d3aa6dc3dd5010b12.jpg

I should really keep that one thumbnail a bit longer ... 

HAGE

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jet Jetski said:

Still the same watch, but removed the bund - and although I have a well illuminated work table, with ceiling lights, wall lights and task lights all fitted with high temperature daylight bulbs and providing a shadow free work-zone, it seemed important to do it NOW, and remove and re-fit the strap bars by the light of the greenhouse solar lamp, and a paraffin heater! 

IMG_20201018_185922190(1).thumb.jpg.b72bd6dae179b04d3aa6dc3dd5010b12.jpg

I should really keep that one thumbnail a bit longer ... 

HAGE

Isnt this the one made famous by a fella in an Hollywood film lately Jon? It looks great on the brown leather. 

I find my thumb nail handy and others but they keep breaking. Its the stiff catch on the KQ dont think the old fella who had it wore it. Shame really now hes on his last legs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Isnt this the one made famous by a fella in an Hollywood film lately Jon? It looks great on the brown leather. 

The 'stunt double' wore a gold one in Tarantino's OUATIH, I had just given my gold dial quartz bullhead to a nephew, when I spotted this on Brad Pitt's wrist  - and it looked good on a bund. But I like to swap the look around, and this RAF style NATO is so perfect at the lugs, it's a shame to dilute it.  

IMG_20201018_191806318(1)(1).thumb.jpg.8f0fec649aa165d4325320e12f5bb6af.jpg

IMG_20201018_191825721(1)(1).thumb.jpg.2fbf4be1f5230a4a22e230dca5d02f0e.jpg

It has been on a few different watches this strap, and worn buckle underneath and buckle on the side, so it's a bit battered but still looking good to me, even in these solar-powered-lighting shots out by the onion patch.

IMG_20201018_192639812(1).thumb.jpg.4e493ef8ad9c6c4a63e989f213028758.jpg

Top Italian leather from Vintagewatchstraps. I use 'shop bought' curved spring bars on this watch, to accommodate the thickness of the leather against the curve of the case back.

J

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

The 'stunt double' wore a gold one in Tarantino's OUATIH, I had just given my gold dial quartz bullhead to a nephew, when I spotted this on Brad Pitt's wrist  - and it looked good on a bund. But I like to swap the look around, and this RAF style NATO is so perfect at the lugs, it's a shame to dilute it.  

IMG_20201018_191806318(1)(1).thumb.jpg.8f0fec649aa165d4325320e12f5bb6af.jpg

IMG_20201018_191825721(1)(1).thumb.jpg.2fbf4be1f5230a4a22e230dca5d02f0e.jpg

It has been on a few different watches this strap, and worn buckle underneath and buckle on the side, so it's a bit battered but still looking good to me, even in these solar-powered-lighting shots out by the onion patch.

IMG_20201018_192639812(1).thumb.jpg.4e493ef8ad9c6c4a63e989f213028758.jpg

Top Italian leather from Vintagewatchstraps.

J

Its spot on. Nearest ive got so far was a seiko helmet. Looks in good original nick too case and dial. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nigelp said:

Its spot on. Nearest ive got so far was a seiko helmet. Looks in good original nick too case and dial. 

I'm going to work the crystal with polywatch.  But I think they are stress lines rather than scratches, some of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rubbatiti said:

I have a Movado 5M in a case by the same maker, I've never been able to decipher the trademark to find out who made it. I rather imagine there were more than few watch case makers in Besançon!

Got it, I think! It looks like the logo of the Miserez case company.

"The premises (16 rue Suard - Besançon) were occupied in the early 1940s by the company Ets Miserez, specializing in the manufacture of watch cases. Founded in 1932 by the Swiss François Miserez, this company was previously located at 28 rue du Funiculaire. ... In 1958, the factory of the limited company Ets Miserez was considered 'the most important French watch case factory'. It was the first to launch watertight threaded case backs on the French market. The factory worked with stainless steel, chromed metal, rolled or 'galvanic' gold plated, and created the Brillor brand (oxidized aluminum cans). In 1960, it still employed 150 workers and also produced metal shelving. It seems that it ceased its activity in 1964."  patrimoine.bourgognefranchecomte.fr

misere15.jpg

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, spinynorman said:

Got it, I think! It looks like the logo of the Miserez case company.

"The premises (16 rue Suard - Besançon) were occupied in the early 1940s by the company Ets Miserez, specializing in the manufacture of watch cases. Founded in 1932 by the Swiss François Miserez, this company was previously located at 28 rue du Funiculaire. ... In 1958, the factory of the limited company Ets Miserez was considered 'the most important French watch case factory'. It was the first to launch watertight threaded case backs on the French market. The factory worked with stainless steel, chromed metal, rolled or 'galvanic' gold plated, and created the Brillor brand (oxidized aluminum cans). In 1960, it still employed 150 workers and also produced metal shelving. It seems that it ceased its activity in 1964."  patrimoine.bourgognefranchecomte.fr

misere15.jpg

 

That's superb! Most excellent work! 

This is my 5M Movado in what I now know to be a Miserez case!

DSCF5359.thumb.JPG.01eb774fac0d01d82137aa8955e797c2.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...