• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Oris Aquis vs Longines Hydroconquest

Possibly a question geared for anyone who owns or has owned both but all opinions are very welcome.

Of the two watches, what are the collective thoughts of which is better. I understand that it may be subjective and largely down to personal choice but I’m interested to head your opinions.

I’m asking because I have around 1k to spend on a watch and I’ve always liked the Aquis.

Is there a better buy for that money (it would need to be a diver or something really interesting).

Let me know what you think.

Had both. Longines is dressier Aquis is the real deal. But too focused. Had i a 7.5 inch wrist then the Aquis it is a different class. Longines have gone soft. Might aswell go tissot. Save up and get a top GS seiko diver...you wont regret it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is very tricky.... The Aquis is technically the better watch. BUT it has the irregular lugs and the tiny date window... Also it wears very heavy due to its profile.

The Longines is a classic , but was more a classic than it is now. The pips are too far towards the dial edge so that the dial has too mach empty space. Also the crown screw locking on Longines are not the best.... [ my conquest is flakey ].

So I would either buy a pre-ceramic Conquest , or consider the Oris .... OR .... try on one of the latest £900 Seiko Prospex divers and then ask yourself ... is the Seiko not the superior watch !? I think it possibly is ......

;-)

• Thanks 1

For me and only owned Oris it would be dependent on use, like everyone above Oris is functional and has a job to do and does it well, it’s the real diver, some great dial colours and special editions available, it’s down to your preference, I’d take the advice I was given by forum members which like a muppet didn’t take and regret it now. Try both on and go with what feels right to you, I see Longines as dressier and more formal but could still be worn casually, Oris feels casual and sport. Just my opinion

Also the Oris are super light, I like to feel the watch, again down to personal opinion 

Edited by Nick Parr 1977
  • Thanks 1

As I'm an idiot (posting too close to my bedtime) and didn't state it in my original post; I do already own a Hydroconquest (had it for 12 months) and it is absolutely a gorgeous watch.

I've always looked at the Oris TT1 and Aquis (in fact they were some of the first watches I looked at when I started my journey). 

The lug 'issue' wouldn't really worry me because the bracelet and rubber straps seem pretty nice to me.

I asked the question because I would need to sell the Longines to fund he purchase of the Oris and wouldn't want to regret it.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, mrzee said:

As I'm an idiot (posting too close to my bedtime) and didn't state it in my original post; I do already own a Hydroconquest (had it for 12 months) and it is absolutely a gorgeous watch.

I've always looked at the Oris TT1 and Aquis (in fact they were some of the first watches I looked at when I started my journey). 

The lug 'issue' wouldn't really worry me because the bracelet and rubber straps seem pretty nice to me.

I asked the question because I would need to sell the Longines to fund he purchase of the Oris and wouldn't want to regret it.

I feel you have answered your own question there buddy ‘Absolute gorgeous’ I had TT1’s. Would I buy Oris over Longines, yes but personal preference would have a Christoper Ward over both YES. Have you looked at CW

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I feel you have answered your own question there buddy ‘Absolute gorgeous’ I had TT1’s. Would I buy Oris over Longines, yes but personal preference would have a Christoper Ward over both YES. Have you looked at CW

Never owned a CW. Someone did post a picture of a really nice blue dialled one a while back.

The Hydroconquest is one of those watches that when you put it on, it feels special.

I'm just wondering id I'm missing out.

I probably need to go and try one on when I am able.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, mrzee said:

Never owned a CW. Someone did post a picture of a really nice blue dialled one a while back.

The Hydroconquest is one of those watches that when you put it on, it feels special.

I'm just wondering id I'm missing out.

I probably need to go and try one on when I am able.

I would, I went to try some on, then blindly online ordered a Breitling Sea Wolf which is now up for sale as I just don’t get on with it, it’s an auto thing for me, first one and want my quartz back. But it could be an expensive lesson for me

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

I would, I went to try some on, then blindly online ordered a Breitling Sea Wolf which is now up for sale as I just don’t get on with it, it’s an auto thing for me, first one and want my quartz back. But it could be an expensive lesson for me

I saw the SeaWolf and if I had around £2k to spend, we may have been having a detailed conversation. :biggrin:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, mrzee said:

I saw the SeaWolf and if I had around £2k to spend, we may have been having a detailed conversation. :biggrin:

It’s a beauty, just not had an auto for years, so want the quartz back and that way I can have 2 watches or more

16 minutes ago, mrzee said:

Just be aware on CW website there is 15% off all watches which ends today, might be worth a look

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mrzee said:

We are all different in our tastes, but I have learned the hard way that getting rid of something that feels special has always been a mistake.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, PC-Magician said:

My Longines Hydro is one Watch I would never sell.  Time keeping is ok I suppose, it's lost 1 second over 3 days.:)

Unacceptable - Send it back mate :laughing2dw:

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, kanab22 said:

I love my Aquis but I have to agree you should never sell a watch you really like. Save up and get an Aquis too or buy via interest free credit.

large.20200904_100946.jpg.b27cada8655ae0215191a6ef98f4d8dd.jpg

I`ve got its younger brother, slightly different hands and without automatic on the dial, i think it looks great on rubber! :thumbsup:

Edited by sabailand
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, sabailand said:

I`ve got its younger brother, slightly different hands and without automatic on the dial, i think it looks great on rubber! :thumbsup:

I agree. Black dial versions look great on rubber and blue dials look cool on a bracelet.

• Like 3