• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

RGM Watch Co - New Railroad Watch

RGM Watch Co are a USA based company founded by American watchmaker Roland G. Murphy in 1992. They do a range of watches with traditional designs and also produce some in-house movements. Their watches are relatively expensive these days compared to when I started to follow them, so not sure if I will ever add one to the collection, a pre-owned model maybe.

They have just announced a new dial variant of their Model 222 R railroad wrist watch which houses a vintage Hamilton movement. The new variant has a Type II Montgomery Marginal Minute style dial after a dial which was patented in the 1920's.

I like the watch a lot but there are niggles I have with the dial compared to the original design, any guesses?

DSC_8239.jpeg

218.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like they over-OCD’d the hour track to make it merge with the minute track.. thus mangling it with the sub seconds track.  

The original drawing has the hour markers much nearer the centre, which would no doubt set off some people’s OCD as the hour hand wouldn’t point directly at it.

Everyones OCD is a little different. I prefer the sub seconds hand on the drawing than in the real life version :) 

• Like 1

The minute markers for 29, 30 and 31 are missing :taz:

Not sure if I like the hourly 6 being present inside the seconds sub dial while the 5 and 7 are partially hidden.  I think I do, but it'll take a little getting used to.    

• Like 1
2 hours ago, rhaythorne said:

The minute markers for 29, 30 and 31 are missing :taz:

Not sure if I like the hourly 6 being present inside the seconds sub dial while the 5 and 7 are partially hidden.  I think I do, but it'll take a little getting used to.    

Yes, those are my niggles! The continuous seconds subdial could have been made slightly smaller to allow the minute markers and I like the original hour marker layout although I would have increased the diameter slightly and dropped the number 6. I prefer the original design of the handset, whoever did the patent thought about the hands, you can see how the diagonal of the diamond shape at the end of the minute hand aligns with the end of the minute markers. 

@spinynorman I think you are right about it looking better with a continuous seconds but they would have to find another movement for it. 

Aesthetically its ok. But if you've ever dispatched a train from a station, at least in modern times, I don't think practically it would work.

Let's say you have a baton or lamp to signal ready to depart, and a whistle. I can't see how the angle of the face helps when doing using both a bat and a whistle AND monitoring the the platform-train interface at the same time. With the 12 being offset I can just foresee issues with timing.

Personally for a railway watch and me the importance is in the second hand so I want that big and legible, everything else is secondary

• Like 1