• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Where is the 'soul' of a watch ... ?

I swapped the dead quartz movement out of my Mickey Mouse watch, then I found a better case, but I kept my crystal, then I broke my crystal putting the back on and fitted a new one, but the dial and hands remain and it's still 'my' watch.  But where does the soul live?

The back is very much essential to this watch, when I was looking I tried to chip the price because the back was badly scratched (which I didn't really mind but worth a try) and they polished it!

IMG_20201021_193722085(1).thumb.jpg.e3381fc8416814f9612e69605eb85049.jpg

The back is spun steel I think, and after it is stamped, the circular patterns remain in the indented design, but the polishing makes that hard to see.

IMG_20201021_193722085(1)(1).thumb.jpg.eab6a88fb1cbc4d65913c1b5fe29889f.jpg

So perhaps the soul of a watch is in the 'work' - the manufacture, the wear, and the repairs, that goes into it.  And the scratches?

I have seen it mooted that it is the original dial that is most important part, and effectively the soul of the watch.

What do you think?

The two words for "soul" in our ancient languages.

Latin: ANIMA (gives us animal and animate)

Greek: ΨΎΧΗ (Psyche- gives us psychology &c.)

Watches, being demonstrably neither animate nor psychal, cannot be said to have a soul. They are machines.

However, they are imbued with associations that WE ascribe to them as a factor of their role in our lives, and those of others who may have owned them before, especially loved ones.

But that's not a soul. The watch has no concept of who has owned it, nor of how they care for it.

Being human, and tending towards anthropomorphic association through sentimentality, we tend to think otherwise.

Edited by AVO

Deep guys, very deep. 

for me the soul of anything is your connection to it, so more the memory around the watch or how it make you feel. It’s that connection that creates the feeling of soul, sorry not as well educated to be as eloquent with my words  

50 minutes ago, AVO said:

The two words for "soul" in our ancient languages.

Latin: ANIMA (gives us animal and animate)

Greek: ΨΎΧΗ (Psyche- gives us psychology &c.)

Watches, being demonstrably neither animate nor psychal, cannot be said to have a soul. They are machines.

However, they are imbued with associations that WE ascribe to them as a factor of their role in our lives, and those of others who may have owned them before, especially loved ones.

But that's not a soul. The watch has no concept of who has owned it, nor of how they care for it.

Being human, and tending towards anthropomorphic association through sentimentality, we tend to think otherwise.

I was speaking figuratively, and as the entire concept of a soul is a mythical construct, their is no literal analogy possible. People are just organic machines.

29 minutes ago, Nick Parr 1977 said:

It’s that connection 

But can you feel connected to a quartz movement - I would have no qualms upgrading an old ETA quartz movement into a newer one with thermo-compensation.  But it would be sacrilegious to replace the column wheel movement in a pre-moon speedy with a cam pusher type.  Though restoring the dial and hands might be ok?  

Maybe the artisan leaves some of his or her soul in a watch.

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 1

@Jet JetskiFor me it’s again the connection to the change, for example if someone dear to you bought the watch and you like the watch you develop a connection, only you know if changing any of it has an impact, it may become special in more than one way because you then have personally changed it. 

Anything has a soul if you believe it has a presence and an impact on how you feel. Why because soul is different to all of us

Edited by Guest

Yep. unless it has source of power, it's useless. no soul. It's just another machine.:wink:

Unlike the phone your "life is on".

I need to do another backup, where to start?:rolleyes:

26 minutes ago, Davey P said:

So, I think we can all agree, the soul of a watch is in the battery - Problem solved :laughing2dw:

Or, in a real watch, the spring. 

And the balance is the heart ....   

Maybe the battery is more like the belly?