Jump to content
  • Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Your birthyear watch, and ...


Recommended Posts

Why is it important to you?

I am very lucky, the Russian watches I chose are very hard to date - these models don't have date stamps on the bridge. I have dated them within a couple of years either side of my birth year, and where they intersect, like a Venn diagram, is my birthyear watch.

'63 / '64 Poljot Cal. 2414

IMG_20201024_113951240(1).thumb.jpg.8efd3c998c8c0d79d3866fd0af891658.jpg

The movement has the early stamp,, last used in '63, but the watch must have been cased in '64 at the earliest, because that's when the Poljot brand was launched.

And '64 / '65 Poljot Cal. 3017 'Strela'

IMG_20201021_154515832(1).thumb.jpg.feaabc9373f1e37cef4f9961b230caf4.jpg

The movements were not necessarily cased in numerical order, but certainly appear to have been cased batch by batch, Poljot on the dial puts it in '64 at the earliest for the same reason as above, Cyrillic on the movement holds it to an early date, as the Poljot Latin word-mark was designed for the export market, and by '65 many of these would have had Latin bridge stamps too.  In '66 they replaced Poljot with Sekonda for the export market.

IMG_20201021_155217081(1).thumb.jpg.78fe4bcb0eb73fa0f27ad335e59ede61.jpg

The serial number puts it in the '64 '65 bracket too.

448247616_poljotstrela3017.thumb.jpg.eb5042196c37c18b885c2147c7efeb2a.jpg

And the reason I went Russian space watch is because I have very early memories of the space race, the moon landings, and Apollo 13 - I had all the space annuals and calendars etc., and learning about the Russian side of the space race was a fresh interest and angle for me later in life.  The Poljot brand formed to commemorate the first flight of Yuri Gagarin - I like the little spaceship worked into the Cyrillic logo of the 2424!

Edited by Jet Jetski
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing special but they are still going strong after all this time...

ServiceS CHALLENGE( replacement 1 jeweled Pin-pallet ) & AVIATION, (unjeweled pin-pallet).

Both watches  MADE IN ENGLAND by Louis Newmark Croydon), circa 1954.

2070031521_ServiceSCHALLENGE(replacement1jeweledPin-pallet)AVIATION(unjeweledpin-pallet).BothwatchesMADEINENGLANDbyLouisNewmarkCroydon)circa1954..gif.0f9680576bb324db55d68255fa2c53fd.gif

 

:thumbs_up:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mach 0.0013137 said:

Nothing special but they are still going strong after all this time...

ServiceS CHALLENGE( replacement 1 jeweled Pin-pallet ) & AVIATION, (unjeweled pin-pallet).

Both watches  MADE IN ENGLAND by Louis Newmark Croydon), circa 1954.

2070031521_ServiceSCHALLENGE(replacement1jeweledPin-pallet)AVIATION(unjeweledpin-pallet).BothwatchesMADEINENGLANDbyLouisNewmarkCroydon)circa1954..gif.0f9680576bb324db55d68255fa2c53fd.gif

 

:thumbs_up:

I just realized I have been wearing my pair wrong all this time!

That's better ...

IMG_20201024_125719744(1)(1).thumb.jpg.bb0c2b17fb1c05aad23e9659c3e14118.jpg

 

2 minutes ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Month and Year for this one...

Seiko 6106-8000 made September 1967

c4ce1842d4e7eb07a6df263f5edc727b.jpg

Not bad for 52 years old, same can't be said for the owner :wheelchair:

I nearly got myself a birthyear Alpinist, but once you have three birthyear watches, that's a collection, and then collecting never ends!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jet Jetski said:

but once you have three birthyear watches, that's a collection

Two for me, both Seiko watches from September 1967, the one above, and a 7625-8041 which I am going to sell as I just don't like it as much as I love the watch above.

The 7625 is a good watch, but I like the fact that the 6106 hacks, and the date change is much easier. 

Enjoy your weekend :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1960 IWC 18ct gold automatic with 563 cal movement. The movement was made from 1958 to 1962 or so and the movement and case numbers both can be extrapolated to 1960.

Why IWC?   My Dad had one in the 60s but sold it at some point. 

 

IMG_20201024_134942.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ong said:

1960 IWC 18ct gold automatic with 563 cal movement. The movement was made from 1958 to 1962 or so and the movement and case numbers both can be extrapolated to 1960.

Why IWC?   My Dad had one in the 60s but sold it at some point. 

 

IMG_20201024_134942.jpg

That is beautiful, it distils so much of the term 'vintage watch' into simple elegance, precision engineering, and great proportions.  Class!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Two for me. One fron exact month I was born.

Seiko from February 1977. It looses time badly and needs service or a new movement.

2020-02-20_02-11-15

And Certina from 1977. Bought NOS, gold plated, I think it looks great. This watch loves sunshine:)

 

IMG_20190926_161905

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tick-tock-tittle-tattle said:

Month and Year for this one...

Seiko 6106-8000 made September 1967

c4ce1842d4e7eb07a6df263f5edc727b.jpg

Not bad for 52 years old, same can't be said for the owner :wheelchair:

That’s my birth year !! :clap: nice choice 

1 hour ago, Marcin said:

Two for me. One fron exact month I was born.

Seiko from February 1977. It looses time badly and needs service or a new movement.

 

And Certina from 1977. Bought NOS, gold plated, I think it looks great. This watch loves sunshine:)

 

IMG_20190926_161905

 

 

That Certina is fabulous :yes: also year of Star Wars and my wife’s birth year :thumbs_up:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, andyclient said:

My birth year 1961 seamaster 

DSC_05111

 

I have seen a lovely Seamaster very reasonably priced from my birth year, with a brown linen dial. 

Bought a(nother) sorry Russian '50's Strela chrono instead lol. 

s-l1600.jpg

Luckily I have also found a much better original dial, for when it eventually goes for a service.  But right now it is keeping a good rate!

s-l1600.jpg

But the right Seamaster is definitely on my list.  That I am not going to buy, of course, because I have enough watches.  To sink a battleship.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...