• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

BBC News - Windsor Castle: Changing hundreds of royal clocks

I agree with the technological advances in farming this extra daylight hour is no longer required, other than nostalgia I can’t see a reason, love a statement like that, just left myself wide open

Those of us of a certain age remember the UK did keep BST all year round in the late 60's early 70's, I remember going to school in the dark which wasn't much fun. From what I remember it wasn't very popular, with most people preferring lighter mornings.

Personally I also prefer lighter mornings and don't have any problem with it going darker early in the afternoon, it seems the right way round to me.

19 minutes ago, JoT said:

Those of us of a certain age remember the UK did keep BST all year round in the late 60's early 70's, I remember going to school in the dark which wasn't much fun. From what I remember it wasn't very popular, with most people preferring lighter mornings.

Remember it well. We all had to buy reflective armbands and the lollipop man got an illuminated lollipop. Was this not the main reason it went back to changing the clocks, because of safety concerns?

I don’t mind the clocks changing, it helps to mark the seasons. I would be OK with GMT all year too - in the summer, after a long day of sunlight, I don’t need even more daylight at the end of the day. But I would hate permanent BST - I need the daylight on a winter morning to get going. 

2 hours ago, WRENCH said:

Remember it well. We all had to buy reflective armbands and the lollipop man got an illuminated lollipop. Was this not the main reason it went back to changing the clocks, because of safety concerns?

I think so, there was talk about changing school start times but that had a knock on effect with working parents and it would have meant kids finishing later and going home in the dark rather than at dusk which then led to a call for a shorter school day which also had a knock on effect for working parents and so on

There are always other arguments rolled out by the anti-GMT lobby which I have never really understood as the length of daylight is the same no matter what, it comes down to darker mornings or darker late afternoons, the current system seems like a reasonable compromise.

I will not complain again, I have a decent number to change, but not that amount.

On daylight saving... I feed the birds in my garden every morning, they chirp outside the bedroom window at the same time every morning asking to be fed.

My observation is that in a bird's mind daylight saving doesn't exist. Time may be relative, relative to how hungry the birds are.

On 25/10/2020 at 13:05, JoT said:

I think so, there was talk about changing school start times but that had a knock on effect with working parents and it would have meant kids finishing later and going home in the dark rather than at dusk which then led to a call for a shorter school day which also had a knock on effect for working parents and so on

There are always other arguments rolled out by the anti-GMT lobby which I have never really understood as the length of daylight is the same no matter what, it comes down to darker mornings or darker late afternoons, the current system seems like a reasonable compromise.

Completely at odds with some of our European counterparts. In Germany for example, schools often start at 0800 and are done by 1400. Made way more sense to me on exchange when they finished early and could enjoy the afternoons and we weren't out until almost 1600.

Having been in the US quite a bit, the early sunset is nice, but its because in the states I've been the temperature is still warm even at that time.

Also interesting to see a fitbit on his right arm, but no good shots of the left - wonder what he wears?