• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Spending limit/justification

Good morning all.

I have been thinking about a new watch purchase over Christmas, and think I could go to around £10k, I recently decided it would be nice to buy just one watch a year and Christmas seems like a good time to do it!

I have spent some time flicking through watches around £5-£15k online and to be honest I've been pretty underwhelmed, yes I'd like a Sub but don't want to pay double the RRP, the Vacheron Constantin grand complication watches are 10 times by budget, leaving the possibility of a Blancpain Villeret if I can find the right one in budget.

I've been admiring these for a long time:

Blancpain-Villeret-Quantieme-Complet-665

But this is pure perfection, albeit at house money!!

hero?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=

I suspect unless the right Blancpain comes up I will buy either a Speedy or Railmaster, a lot different in terms of cost and finish but both are in my wish list.

The only underlying problem is that although I love and appreciate the super fine details, machining, workmanship etc in these expensive watches, I've been overthinking the options so much it dawned on me that spending such money on a watch could actually be vulgar, ruining the whole prospect!  Has anyone else felt like this when the opportunity of buying an expensive piece comes up, am I justified or is it nerves?!  I work hard, don't "holiday" and don't finance luxuries (else they wouldn't be luxuries IMO) so I have no "borrowing" guilt, if values are stable then it could even be viewed as an investment, but sometimes it just seems wrong!  Maybe this is too deep and I need to speak to someone :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Justification = I want it Spending Limit = I can afford it And that's really all there is to it 

Nail on the head

As someone with several watches in that price range, I’d say half the enjoyment is in the chase. Don’t just look at the top end of your budget as you might find something half the value gives you mu

Just do it, you are only here once.

But enjoy the research.  If Glashutte appeal then try Dornblueth & Son too https://www.dornblueth.com/configurator

Or a Breguet Type XX, or an AP like this gorgeous piece here (not relation to the seller, DYOR)

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/audemarspiguet/audemars-piguet-jules-audemars-18k-gold-chronograph-automatic--id15791904.htm

PS asking a watch forum if you should buy a watch is only going to get bias answers

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, rhaythorne said:

Spending Limit = I can afford it

Not just a case of `can afford it today'  but can afford it even if next week I find my house needs a new roof or the car needs new tyres. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

For me spending that’s kind of money you need to be 110%. 

In a recent and still predicament, albeit budget is a lot less, I would think about what some of that money could do and still buy say a speedy, hot tub, motor bike, butler for a while, just any other itches, if not then for me you still need to be 100% and would buy with the heart, you’ve already made the head decisions so at that money buy what you will love not like, just my opinion 

3 hours ago, scottswatches said:

Just do it, you are only here once.

:yes:

3 hours ago, scottswatches said:

asking a watch forum member if you should buy a watch is only going to get bias answers

From me ?.....
Never, the Blancpain would be my first choice, followed by the Railmaster.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

If you can easily afford it (flicking through watches up to 15k you obviously can) then do it.

Some people will spend 3-4 grand or less on a used car, some will spend tens of thousands on a brand new supercar, its all about personal spending limits, i would never dream of spending so much on a watch cos i just cant afford to, but many can and do, if it dosnt skint you and leave you struggling its not a problem.

• Like 2

It's my view that affordablility is all that matters. 

The cost is not a write off unless you decide to break dance on top of it on a floor covered in sandpaper... so you can get your money (some anyway) back out if needed.

You've stated lots of things you don't do which would be sunk cost....These little machines are precious and enjoy them as you know you can in a way that many do not understand. It sounds like you've earnt the previlage to do so.

In other news, that Villeret is stunning - i could have done without that hitting my radar.

• Like 1

Spend within your budget and the best you can  , buy what you like and would want to wear , if your buying to make a quick buck ( as many are doing with Rolex’s at the moment ) pushing them beyond normal means your not a true watch collector imho 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Hotbulb said:

Spend within your budget and the best you can  , buy what you like and would want to wear , if your buying to make a quick buck ( as many are doing with Rolex’s at the moment ) pushing them beyond normal means your not a true watch collector imho 

Yeah I agree, for me it's keep within your budget and always buy what you like and will wear, re-sale value/investment never come into the equation as don't intend to sell.

• Like 1

It's refreshing to read that someone who wants to spend that sort of money and not mention resell value as part of the buying criteria. Definitely agree not to spend double rrp on a Sub. 

Fair play to my man I hope whatever you decide on you have good health and wear your watch with pleasure. 

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, Craftycockney said:

It's refreshing to read that someone who wants to spend that sort of money and not mention resell value as part of the buying criteria. Definitely agree not to spend double rrp on a Sub. 

Fair play to my man I hope whatever you decide on you have good health and wear your watch with pleasure. 

Agree with your comment entirely, when i`ve ever bought a watch the last thing on my mind is what i could get for it if i sold it, i buy a watch cos i like it and at that moment in time i want to keep it forever.

• Like 1

@Craftycockney and @sabailand I agree with the sentiment but with me I think that about anything I buy of value, cars, watches and even down to some Lego for my lad when it’s over £300. It’s an automatic thought for me, but then I also wonder if financial factors have a play on it, for example if I had lots of disposable income I’d be fine with spending money.

To be honest residual value is always something I consider, even if I loved it I doubt I would buy a watch for for 4 figures + if I knew it would be worthless afterwards.  Probably because that is one of the key decisions in my line of work when we purchase new equipment etc.

On the flip side, my most valuable watch is my grandfathers- that would be worthless at auction (without anyone knowing the history).

The idea that I can buy something relatively expensive knowing that it retains some financial value means there is security there if I end up in a bad place, or that my children can decide whether to keep or sell in many years to come.  I am happy spending money on watches and don't mind them depreciating, but if they became worthless overnight I'd consider spending the money on holidays instead!

• Like 3
On 31/10/2020 at 07:22, Guest said:

@Craftycockney and @sabailand I agree with the sentiment but with me I think that about anything I buy of value, cars, watches and even down to some Lego for my lad when it’s over £300. It’s an automatic thought for me, but then I also wonder if financial factors have a play on it, for example if I had lots of disposable income I’d be fine with spending money.

Without a doubt I understand your thought process and in most cases it comes as a natural decision in the buying process.

In this particular case mind, you will find as you scroll the threads that resell value is a major influencer when it comes to some watch buyers. It's understandable, I mean you can watch video after video just on Rolex residuals, which will be the next best money spinner etc. 

It can be rather infuriating for the veterans on the forum however as it's more about the love, fascination, even addiction if like for watches....

I agree with TDC theres no way I am spending big money in a watch that will be worthless.   While resale isn't the most important factor to me the fact that I can get my money back on nearly every one of my watches means I can get out of it.  If you buy what the market considers to be a dog you can never go back.

I don't expect to sell any of my watches in the near future but who knows the future?  As an old man will I need 16 watches?

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Daveyboyz said:

I agree with TDC theres no way I am spending big money in a watch that will be worthless.   While resale isn't the most important factor to me the fact that I can get my money back on nearly every one of my watches means I can get out of it.  If you buy what the market considers to be a dog you can never go back.

I don't expect to sell any of my watches in the near future but who knows the future?  As an old man will I need 16 watches?

I doubt if you need 16 watches now. Also, the membership of this forum suggests wisdom does not come with age. :tongue:

Good morning all.
I have been thinking about a new watch purchase over Christmas, and think I could go to around £10k, I recently decided it would be nice to buy just one watch a year and Christmas seems like a good time to do it!
I have spent some time flicking through watches around £5-£15k online and to be honest I've been pretty underwhelmed, yes I'd like a Sub but don't want to pay double the RRP, the Vacheron Constantin grand complication watches are 10 times by budget, leaving the possibility of a Blancpain Villeret if I can find the right one in budget.
I've been admiring these for a long time:
Blancpain-Villeret-Quantieme-Complet-6654_3640_55_003.jpg
But this is pure perfection, albeit at house money!!
hero?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=jpg&q=55&auto=format&usm=12

I suspect unless the right Blancpain comes up I will buy either a Speedy or Railmaster, a lot different in terms of cost and finish but both are in my wish list.
The only underlying problem is that although I love and appreciate the super fine details, machining, workmanship etc in these expensive watches, I've been overthinking the options so much it dawned on me that spending such money on a watch could actually be vulgar, ruining the whole prospect!  Has anyone else felt like this when the opportunity of buying an expensive piece comes up, am I justified or is it nerves?!  I work hard, don't "holiday" and don't finance luxuries (else they wouldn't be luxuries IMO) so I have no "borrowing" guilt, if values are stable then it could even be viewed as an investment, but sometimes it just seems wrong!  Maybe this is too deep and I need to speak to someone :laugh:

As someone with several watches in that price range, I’d say half the enjoyment is in the chase.

Don’t just look at the top end of your budget as you might find something half the value gives you much more please.

What do you already have in the collection? Any photos? [emoji4]
  • Like 4
On 09/11/2020 at 09:37, Igerswis said:

As someone with several watches in that price range, I’d say half the enjoyment is in the chase.

Don’t just look at the top end of your budget as you might find something half the value gives you much more please.

What do you already have in the collection? Any photos? [emoji4]

I think I agree re-budget, I have been a little underwhelmed by most at the top end.  I have a feeling a Railmaster may prove irresistible first, I would also like a speedy pro but almost put off because it seems so cliché!  I would like a chronograph but the IWC Top Gun is probably higher on the list for me- unsure about the size as I've not tried one on yet- I suspect it will bee too big, my Seamaster 300M is 41mm and on the large side for me.

Omega_Railmaster_flat_1000.jpg

Will have to take an up to date pic :)

Edited by TDC
  • Like 1
I think I agree re-budget, I have been a little underwhelmed by most at the top end.  I have a feeling a Railmaster may prove irresistible first, I would also like a speedy pro but almost put off because it seems so cliché!  I would like a chronograph but the IWC Top Gun is probably higher on the list for me- unsure about the size as I've not tried one on yet- I suspect it will bee too big, my Seamaster 300M is 41mm and on the large side for me.
Omega_Railmaster_flat_1000.jpg
Will have to take an up to date pic [emoji4]

What kind of watch are you after? Dress, casual or one for all occasions? Any preference on materials and bracelet or strap?

That Blancpain is just drop dead gorgeous! If all works out well and I sell my house in 2.5 years when my state pension kicks in, then that has to be on the cards.

IgerSwis talked of the fun of the chase. I am already compiling a list for the 'one'!

• Like 1