• Sign Up to reply and join the friendliest Watch Forum on the web. Stick around, get to 50 posts and gain access to your full profile and additional features such as a personal messaging system, chat room and the sales forum PLUS the chance to enter our regular giveaways.

Gen 2 RAF Seiko repair

Hi Everybody - my first post, forgive me if I make any rookie mistakes:

I have an RAF pilot's Seiko watch, the type issued to Harrier pilots in the mid-90s (seems to be referred to as the 'Gen 2 Chronograph' and has the P on the face). Over the last couple of years it started occasionally losing time, and now it's stopped altogether. I changed the battery, that made no difference, so I'm guessing that it needs a repair or perhaps a new movement.

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me how to get it repaired in the UK. Thanks in advance for your help

Arnie

Hi jmm1 - I just picked up the watch and the stopwatch hand was running, and so I played around with that for a while. The stopwatch function seemed to work ok except that when you reset it the hand didn't always return to the correct position. The normal second hand was not working. I then opened up the watch, removed the battery and cleaned the 2 copper-coloured contacts underneath (which looked pretty clean if I'm honest). However, when I replaced the battery the stopwatch was no longer working and so the watch seems lifeless again.

Any ideas...?

Thanks

19 minutes ago, Arnie said:

Hi jmm1 - I just picked up the watch and the stopwatch hand was running, and so I played around with that for a while. The stopwatch function seemed to work ok except that when you reset it the hand didn't always return to the correct position. The normal second hand was not working. I then opened up the watch, removed the battery and cleaned the 2 copper-coloured contacts underneath (which looked pretty clean if I'm honest). However, when I replaced the battery the stopwatch was no longer working and so the watch seems lifeless again.

Any ideas...?

Thanks

Is there a plastic insulation disc under the negative contact 

The base of the battery compartment is black and looks plastic. Directly under the 2 copper-coloured contacts is some kind of very small white object - maybe a cutout in the black base, can't really see.

I would test the battery voltage first. I put a new Renata in one of my watches recently and it stopped again a couple of weeks later. When tested the battery was only reading about half what it should. The next battery I fitted I tested first and it's been fine since.

I could be wrong, but when you replace the battery on these don't you have to re set the watch movement. The movement has one or two holes in the back where by you have to put a pin or something similar inside to reset. Like I say I could be wrong.

x

5 hours ago, jmm1 said:

I could be wrong, but when you replace the battery on these don't you have to re set the watch movement. The movement has one or two holes in the back where by you have to put a pin or something similar inside to reset. Like I say I could be wrong.

There is a good photo of the movement here - mine is exactly the same as this. Please could you take a look and see what you think

On 22/11/2020 at 12:10, jmm1 said:

There is a good photo of the movement here - mine is exactly the same as this. Please could you take a look and see what you think

9 hours ago, jmm1 said:

The link is not working mate.

Ah sorry - the link in full is:

https://www.seiko7a38.com/apps/forums/topics/show/7874323